Fishing With A Magnet

geo4472

Feb 19, 2007
paterson nj
Detector(s) used
discovery 2000 , ace 250 & x-terra 50
the only thing that would suck when fishing with a magnet is if something like sticking to an old tin box and pulling it up the bottom or part of the rusty bottom falls out and the part thats left has old coins sitting in it :'(

erik12152003

Nov 5, 2006
cape may nj
Detector(s) used
garrett cx
hey this is my trick lo I have been doing this to find old ship wrecks lol. I make it look like my anchor if anyone is near me I also use little ones on my fishing poles you would laugh at me. I have a tackle box with them in it. It works great for me

Urban Prospector

Feb 21, 2007
N OC CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,Compass 94B & 77B
bowfin said:
I tried a few times in the Fall. I used one of the 250 lb pull magnets from harbor freight. Mostly pulled up junk. My best catch was a working LED flashlight from a boat launch. I also caught a few hooks and lures. I wasn't able to pull up anything close to being big. Anytime I hooked onto something that put up a little resistance the drag along the bottom would pull it off.
Not sure I can explain but if you pull up hard & fast you feel the weight come up of the bottom and improve the odds of retrieving the item. It's like pulling a skier once the weight is planeing it's lighter. It may take a few hops and stops but some very heavy stuff can be moved if you use the waters resistance to lift the weight from the bottoms friction.

bowfin

Nov 9, 2008
Michigan
Thanks, I'll give it another try when the ice melts. Basicly when it comes off the bottom you're saying that you pull it in really fast to keep it from dragging/reduce its weight?

Urban Prospector

Feb 21, 2007
N OC CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,Compass 94B & 77B
Ya, Once it comes of the bottom pull in steady enough to keep it " swimming". To fast and the water pressure acts like the bottom drag. Heavier stuff I kind of hop.

Roln99

Jan 1, 2009
Garland, NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Hey this might be the best method for Steelhead Trout fishing :thumbsup: You might want to try this in some creeks, streams, rivers, etc. Cast it out and let it sink. then reel it in and check for black sand deposits. Who knows what could be present?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread