Fishing With A Magnet

bmanofnbc

Dec 20, 2004
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter SSII & Fisher F75
I've never tried it but I hear some Canadian coins will stick to a magnet.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Magnets are used quite a lot in Europe partly because their's so many iron cored coins but also because over generations lots of weapons from swords to modern day guns have ended up in the water.
The popular magnet is the 'Sea Searcher' which will pick up 140lbs if the metal surface is flat for maximum contact. There's also the rather expensive Power Lift 20 which can only manage 40-50lbs but sticks to rusty curved surfaces. Both are pocket size. A really good rope is needed because if you hit something to big to lift then a good sideways jerk is needed to break contact.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
I would imagine that one could come in handy around boat docks and such. Who knows, you might find the occasional tackle box, minnow can, rod/reel, or maybe even a boat motor.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
One use for a magnet would be to bring up artifacts from Great Lakes shipwrecks.

Yes, this would be one way to get a little something from those deep wrecks.

HH

chellyp

Mar 30, 2005
Northwest Oklahoma
I just bought a "magnet on stick" lol. It is just a 50 pounder, but my husband thought I was nuts! Can't wait until my work schedule lets up so I can go out and play. (Weather permiting)

OP
OP
JakePhelps

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
I wonder if you buy a really high test line you could actually fish with a magnet and reel it in and stuff, then you could look like you were just fishing not trying to catch relics :D

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd start with large old bridges in remote areas of the town. Some of these can be 150 years old. Lots of things are lost or tossed on purpose off bridges.? I've heard of people finding hand guns and just about everything else in the book.

In pulling up lots of mud coated junk there's a chance a ring or coin could be caught in it. If the bridge is small, I'd retrieve slowly and work from shore.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's one on ebay they advertise as an underwater metal detector.It is shaped like a fish.I think it has a 150lb.lift cap..Sells for 15 or 20 bucks,I think. Haven't ordered one yet,but the thought has crossed my mind more than once.If nothing else it would be good for cleaning up some of the junk us humans have littered our waterways with. :o-diggummup

OP
OP
JakePhelps

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
if you really want to find anything good i would get AT LEAST a 200 pound pull, maybe more. I have a 150 pull and it has trouble lifting small iron stuff when it gets caught on stuff on the bottom. I would seriously look into a 300 pound pull or more if you were going to use it alot. They are also great for cleaning rusty metal from swimming areas.

R

rusty nails

i have seen them so big that u actually tie a rope around them to haul in the bigger stuff.

R

rusty nails

and u also want to have the strongest line u can get going to your magnet
because u know that joker is going to get hooked around fallen limbs , stumps etc.
and you'' lose the whole thing if your line isnt strong enough...... ;D

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Also, a mega size neodymium is so strong you must plan ahead how you'll handle it when it arrives. I've tested lots of them and I'll say this, those puppies will really hurt you if your not careful.

If you get some flesh in between a 4 inch square neodymium with over a ton pull and a steel plate you'll be very sorry. Also, they can really screw-up a computer even if carried into the same room. People with pacemakers should not get anywhere near a big neo.

The list goes on and on. The little neodymiums are cute and fun. The mega sizes are strictly for adults.

I wonder what effect they have on auto computer systems?

pilgrim770

Jul 25, 2005
Houston, TX.
I took a magnet out of an old hard drive and they are powerful too. Just in case you have some older computers hanging around you might want to check it out. ;D

pilgrim770

Jul 25, 2005
Houston, TX.
Here aretwo pictures of a hard drive magnet. I put the square medal peace on the magnetic end and can't get it off with both hands. Seems like the older and thicker hard drives have stronger magnets. I'll have to put this in a vise to get the medal peace off. So if you have any old computers around that don't work anymore, pull that hard drive out if you want a good magnet. ;D

Attachments

• Hard drive top.JPG
    Hard drive top.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 4,836
  • Magnet test.JPG
    Magnet test.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 4,724

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread