Nov 10, 2008

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
Gomer,

I have the Ace250 which is about the same as yours except with pinpointing and I can tell you that it will show cans as coins. There are two ways I determine if it is junk or not with the 250 which is as follows:

1. When I find a target that is giving me that nice 'BING BING" noise on coin I swing shorter swings over the target and as I am swinging I slowly pull back towards myself (again while swinging). What I am doing is trying to find the spot on the ground where I lose the signal. While doing this watch the target ID and you will see that right before you lose the signal it will change to a junk target ID. I do this a few times (going back and forth) just to make sure. If the target ID stays in the coin range then it could be a coin, which then I go to my next technique.

2. After doing step one and verifying that the target ID stays in coin range, I then do the short swinging while pulling away as I did for technique one and find that spot on the ground where you lose the signal. Remember go slow and swing short close swings so you can find the exact spot (center of coil) where the target drops. Then do the same going forward now and find the spot where you lose it going forward. If the distance between where you lost the signal (close to you) and where you lost the signal (furthest from you) is small, then the target is small. If it is a greater distance then it is a larger item and you can choose whether to dig it or not, depending on if you want to have to deal with it again at a future outing at the spot.

ANy other questions PM me and I will help any way I can.

HH

Funkman

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i get better results in jewlry mode,, the 1857 flying eagle i found will not show in coin mode

TN_INDIAN

Jul 4, 2012
WEST TN
Detector(s) used
F2,pinpointer that came with it
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the F2 and i had the same problem digging up tons of trash lol. But im improving lots after bout 10 hrs with the machine. its just me but i dig trash targets as well so i dnt have to deal with them next time. But some days u dnt wanna dig trash and just dig the good stuff. Practice and patience is best advice i can give u but thats just me and im a newbie as well. GOOD LUCK and heard great things bout the ace 150 btw and if u dnt have a hand held pinpointer get one ASAP will save tons of digging time and help u locate target n secs most the time. Again just my 2 cents worth cause im new as well.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
We run jewelry mode too for coins when we get iffy signals,or those we need to "coax" to get a coin tone its usually something round and flat like a bottle cap. prefer to keep digging though,trusting discrimination hard,don,t want to miss something. Also sometimes junk removed was "masking "something else. That. 150 fun to hear on solid coin hit though! Sure you know but in jewelry mode you will still hear low tone on iron just keep going,just my opinion but i like to see iron icon go off before resuming search pattern. A little more time you can call more targets before you dig. Have fun!. Oh i keep sens.up around second notch from top,higher when few targets. seems to affect depth more than discrimination. Though little lead sinkers ring pretty good!

Last edited:

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yep lead mak it yell at ya,,,i have dug a few iron/coin tones heavy on irontone turns out to be a zincker lincolin everytime gold ring rings up as coin on any mode but sure does hit nickles hard soe of my coins tone end up a nail , then some days wen wet outside everything tones in as it should iron is iron etc..... so i dig everyting i run over happy huntinn ya'll

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i run the ace 350 and i tell you it was a learning curve the thing lies to no end lol ...but back scanning targets will tell the tale on my dd coil if i want to be real picky i can dig a coin every time but the thing is the garrett really likes rusty iron and pop cans ...you get what you pay for i guess

tparker805

May 7, 2012
Ventura county
Detector(s) used
White's Xlt spectrum
Garrett Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i run the ace 350 and i tell you it was a learning curve the thing lies to no end lol ...but back scanning targets will tell the tale on my dd coil if i want to be real picky i can dig a coin every time but the thing is the garrett really likes rusty iron and pop cans ...you get what you pay for i guess

lol reason i sold my 350 and am getting an xterra 705 :) love the garretts tho they will WORK!

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally wouldnt buy another garrett the falsing drives me nutz and forces me to hunt with the sensitivity 1-2 bars under the stock setting ....the iron the pick up drives me nutz too and lets not get started on bottle caps...my friends hunt with minelabs and they seem to be a solid unit and will be my next machine

tparker805

May 7, 2012
Ventura county
Detector(s) used
White's Xlt spectrum
Garrett Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I personally wouldnt buy another garrett the falsing drives me nutz and forces me to hunt with the sensitivity 1-2 bars under the stock setting ....the iron the pick up drives me nutz too and lets not get started on bottle caps...my friends hunt with minelabs and they seem to be a solid unit and will be my next machine

like i said went from 350 to 705 and would never look back.. but then again there is a price differnce i would suggest tryin maybe the safari or a higher unit what unit would you think of trying?

digemup

Jan 26, 2013
Southside, VA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300, Garret Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey there...the best tip I can give you is to do short swings over the find. I've found out that the closer the rings over the object. Also I've noticed that sometimes I'll find rust that has given me signals...but hey..you'll never know what you'll pull out the ground.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like they say "dig it ,it may be a gold ring,you never know".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread