cold weather hunting ?

R

rusty nails

living in the great state of ohio - i will actually have more time to detect once summer is over - i will take to the woods and parks instead of going animal hunting - plus more areas will open up - any tips on severe weather hunting - has anybody done this ? i know theres a point where digging will be impossible . but...................... LBP

K

Kentucky Kache

I guess It's like fishing. You can do it any time of the year, but It just Isn't as enjoyable in the cold.
Take a couple of extra batteries.

wmas1960

May 17, 2005
Chicagoland
Don't know about how bad it might be to hunt in the cold. I would consider the LCD display on your detector (If you have one) and the effects of the cold on your batteries though. How frozen and hard does the sand at the beach or in play lots get? I have heard people suggest about searching piles of snow where plows have plowed up parking lots. Certainly could go check those areas when there are thaws and the snow melts away. Search where the piles were. Maybe search some of the sledding hills etc.

miester

May 21, 2005
Wi
jbot said:
I guess It's like fishing. You can do it any time of the year, but It just Isn't as enjoyable in the cold.
Take a couple of extra batteries.
What do ya mean not as enjoyable in the cold? I know many guys who prefer fishing in the cold, ice fishing. My son for one, his ice shanty is a magnet for fun. You would'nt believe how elaborate some shantys are. Couches,T.V.s food and liquor stocks ect. Myself I just like to sit on a bucket on the ice next to the truck so I can easily move to other spots.

K

Kentucky Kache

But liquor can make a vasectomy enjoyable. :D
Well, maybe not.

miester

May 21, 2005
Wi
jbot said:
But liquor can make a vasectomy enjoyable. :D
Well, maybe not.
I've heard that it also can make a plain Jane look like a beauty. I would'nt know I dont drink that much.

K

Kentucky Kache

It doesn't make her look that good, It's just that you don't care. ;D

OP
OP
R

rusty nails

i have river fished for perch in the middle of feb. - and done quite well - they were hitting like it was 70 deg out - and it was in open water - lbp -

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Being from Minnesota, if you can't hunt in the cold, you might as well not hunt at all. LOL.
I remember using a hatchet and hammer to cut a plug in frozen ground. I actually cut a Barber half into 2 pieces.
( I didn't pinpoint very well).
A friend rented a heavy duty cordless drill, and put a 3" holesaw bit on it. After about three holes the drill started smoking. Another friend used a snowblower to cut a path through the snow in order to get to the turf. (The ground was not frozen, just covered with about 8" of snow.

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
I hate the cold. My ex wife is from Michigan... Thats the reason she is an ex. She demanded that we move back to Michigan when we got out of the military. I told her have a safe trip and remember to bundle up! ;D Okay, Okay, maybe I didn't like her family very much, and she was the spawn of satan, but still, I hate cold weather!

Actually, getting on subject, I was talking to a Whites rep, and he said that you want to go out when the top layer of soil is defrosted, but it is still frozen under ground. He said it helps the signal better with the top layers of soil wet, and, the part I found most interesting is that the frozen ground underneath helps push things up a little. Sometimes it might push something up that was previously out of detecting range.

K

Kentucky Kache

I guess It comes down to what you're use to. It wouldn't feel right to deer hunt in warm weather, but when it comes to fishing and metal detecting, I'll take the warm.

OP
OP
R

rusty nails

THANKS TO ALL ~ its not as bad as i thought it'd be - hell when i moved to ohio from pa 5 years ago in february - it was 80 degrees - that sunday - so - there's hope - thanks again - i also thought of creek beds - sides - i know when i trapped muskrats that mud was diggable - LBP

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I find it quite pleasant to hunt in winter, although I know we have milder winters in the southwest that you probably do. I know the ground never freezes, so digging is always possible. Never tried sand in the cold, tho. Happy Hunting!

OP
OP
R

rusty nails

af ? where'd you get that avatar ? - its pleasantly disturbing :o - is it from a movie or something ?
i have a cousin whos a professional clown - he makes some good coin at it - i also have been known to do some pro clowning - but i dont where any make up or funny clothes ::) lbp

Z

ZumbroKid

When you get tired of sitting inside, you might find the tempation to go chop some ground.

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
leftybassplayer said:
af ? where'd you get that avatar ? - its pleasantly disturbing? :o - is it from a movie or something ?
i have a cousin whos a professional clown - he makes some good coin at it - i also have been known to do some pro clowning - but i dont where any make up or funny clothes? ::) lbp

His avatar is Pennywise the clown from the Stephen King movie "It". That movie made alot of people afraid of clowns, I'm sure!

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
af1733 said:
Hey, you're the first person to ID Pennywise!? Great!? Are you a fan as well?

I think it was quite possibly the best made for TV movie I've seen. Tim Curry was at his absolute finest as Pennywise, and I've always liked Richard "John Boy" Thomas. John Ritter turned in a great performance too! Oh, and who can forget Harry "Night Court" Anderson!

Of course, the book was more creepy, but I they did a fantastic job with the movie.

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Gotta love Tim Curry in anything. Very talented. Pretty scary as well, but I don't think the movie did much justice to the book. But, with the possible exceptions of Christine and Carrie, do they ever?

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
They never do. I'm sure you read the Bachman Book... Its amazing what they did with Running Man.
I just think that out of all the King novels they transformed, this one was tied for the best. Misery was done very well too, but it was a big budget film, whereas this was a made for TV special. It stood on its own though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread