GPS Treasure Mapping

Roln99

Jan 1, 2009
Garland, NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
I recently purchased a Garmin Colorado 400t GPS along with a Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505. I wanted to used them both while treasure hunting. I was able to download all of my old map jpeg files into the garmin because it has an image viewer included! I also plan to upload every potential hunt site researched into it for future recall. Also I've discovered over the course of the past 3 days that it also makes the perfect treasure log!!! These post-hunt maps can aid in future hunts as well as can be traded or sold to other interested detectorists.

Incorporating a GPS on every hunt also gives the TH the advantage of re conning a previously unknown location for a possible hunt. This can be done from the comfort of your own home. Each prospective location can be marked as a waypoint or POI (point of interest) and stored in your gps for later retrieval. Also while THing with a gps the (bread crumb tracker) feature can be activated in order to electronically blaze a trail of your progress so that you can later study your search patterns as well as your finds.

These maps begin to look really impressive after several successful hunts and are a treasure unto themselves! Every major feature that you encounter can be marked as a waypoint and assigned its name as well as a custom icon to help identify the particular feature. This technique will visually enhance your custom maps beyond that of the original presentation!

Below is a custom post-treasure map of the Garland Park in Garland, North Carolina:
GarlandParkTreasureMapII.jpg

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Roln99, I am impressed with what you have done. Can this be done on any Garmen? I have the Garmen Nuvi 200, but have not seen anything like this on mine.

God bless
Peter

OP
OP
Roln99

Roln99

Jan 1, 2009
Garland, NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Thank you for the compliment! You'll need to get Map Source v 6.15.4 from www.garmin.com.

I believe that this editor is compatable with the Nuvi and other newer models. Contact customer support on this issue. If this editor is compatable with your unit, and I believe that it is, then all you'll need is an AB type usb cable and you're in business!!! Let me know how this works out for you!

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the reply.... I will have to take a look at Mapsource from this side, as it is going to cost a lot here (South Africa) due to currency exchange. But I will contact Garmen here and find out what I can.

God bless
Peter

Cachefinder

Dec 22, 2008
ARIZONA
Detector(s) used
lucky horseshoe
Sweet Maps :thumbsup:

Search all over that park- u will find silver! ;D

good luck and take care,

Cachefinder-

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pgill said:
Thanks for the reply.... I will have to take a look at Mapsource from this side, as it is going to cost a lot here (South Africa) due to currency exchange. But I will contact Garmen here and find out what I can.

God bless
Peter

Peter if you can't make it work or find the software, You might try clicking a waypoint when a find is made, then after you get home upload your waypoints to your favorite mapping programs. You can also carry a laptop along if you want to compare maps etc.
I've got an old Magellan 315 & put most of my stuff on TOPO!. When out I usually take along the laptop with TOPO! on it & my notes etc. Seems like the notes are of more use since age = shorter memory ::) Older laptops are so cheap now, I picked up an IBM ThinkPAd for next to nothing to drag in the field. And this system has worked very good for quite awhile now. For the money, it'll be real handy Hope that gives you another way to go!

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Boogeyman,

That is another way to go :wink: I will see what software I can get and see what I can put together. I think it will be easier to do this. Thanks for the ideas.

God bless
Peter

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pgill said:
Thanks Boogeyman,

That is another way to go :wink: I will see what software I can get and see what I can put together. I think it will be easier to do this. Thanks for the ideas.

God bless
Peter
Glad I could help out!

ScubaDad

Jul 1, 2012
Blaine, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur II 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now you just need to get some map making software (there are a couple free ones) and overlay your old jpgs over the map file and there ya go.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread