Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

EE THr

Silver Member
Apr 21, 2008
Central California
boogeyman has some good information. I have heard of the atmospheric reflection effect.

Checking from the opposite direction would do the same thing that triangulation would, and that is, it would either reveal or eliminate the reflection effect.

But triangulation is the way to absolutely determine where the glow spot is, if it's not some kind of illusion, whereas there are ways, such as has been mentioned, of light doing funny things which make them appear to be something which they actually are not.

And also appearing to be in a place other than where they actually are emanating from. Kind of like an mirage in the desert usually appears to be other than where and what it really is.

If conditions do arise where it will appear again, please don't let it lead you on a wild goose chase! If a person is "following" an optical illusion, he can wander all over the place, but if is something which can be triangulated, then at least you can let other people know where you are supposed to be going, and if an accident should happen, then they would know about where you are, if you don't return in a reasonable amount of time. That should always be a consideration beforehand.

Be level-headed about it, and don't do anything that you will be mad at yourself for later!

:)

Jan 16, 2011
By, By Have fun.
Detector(s) used
Time to move on. Good luck everyone .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well guys i took some photos this morning and nothing showed up as any extra light at that spot.but i will take some this evening when the sun is in a differant direction. boogeyman good ideal of takeing photo from a differant direction. dont worry guys,iam not going to get out of hand with this.i just happen to read about this,had the lens and have some free time.the area is close to home.i view it as just another tool iam going to work with.i want to see if i can catch this again.its not out of my way at all.i will be takeing this lens with me for now on when i hike the hills and put it on after i take other photos,just to see what shows up.i will post the photos if i get anything interesting.id like to see some more rain here,to see if it shows back up after the rain .i will put out any info i come up with.thanks for the help. good luck in your searches. dog.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds good! looking forward to seeing the pictures no matter the outcome. Have you thought of taking a set at say an hour before and after the time you got the first hit in 15 minute intervals? [Hint]. You mentioned rain. This could affect reflection or make conditions good to locate something buried.

Sounds like you're going in the right direction with this technique. Like they say, If it was that easy everybody'd be doing it. Not to mention not knowing will grind on you! Like the target you didn't dig last week when you searched the park ::)

Also, try Googling up the San Luis mountains in Colorado. For generations there's been stories of people going out in the mountains looking for places with a blue-ish glow over buried gold or deposits, depending on whoyou talk to or which story you hear.

Jan 16, 2011
By, By Have fun.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
howdy all,well i went back out this evening and took some more photos of that spot at differant times as the sun was going down. i got no light source at all there,nothing in the morning,nothing in the evening.but all was not a loss.i took the binos. and i was able to pick out where the light source was coming from on the rigde line by looking at the peaks and lows on the ridge.by takeing my lap top with me and looking at the photo then looking at the rigde line.so i will not take anymore photos till we get another rain here again to see if that brings it back out.i will say this,do i belive that differant matter in a process of decay,rotting,cooking,brakeing down,chemical reaction,gives off energy,yes.do i belive that depending on what the matter is made of and the amount time it is breaking down can either be detected by humans with no artifical help or not be detected depending on the matter,yes.can that energy produce heat,light,scents,i belive yes.can differant matter reach its peak then die out at differant times and strenghts depending on the reaction of the elements at work,i belive yes.if we cant see,feel,smell the reaction are there things we can apply artfically to help us detect it,i belive yes.iam from back east and some decaying logs you can actully see a orange glow to them at night from them breaking down.not sure if that happens here out west or not.but anyways iam gonna work with this,and ill post more photos if i get something to show up.take care all,good luck in your searches. dog.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good way of thinking. Wasn't too long ago you would've been laughed off your bar stool if you told someone you had a device that enabled you to see in total darkness. As long as we go along with open minds we'll learn.

When you said it occured after a rain, the first thought was a reflection. But I think there's a really good possibility metals react to the environment more than we think. Too many stories through the ages of these phenomenas. And if you think about it people in the past were more apt to see these things since they were outside more and therewas a lot less interferance in the atmosphere.

I'm working with this, but have had to put it on the back burner until I finnish up some other projects. The way I look at it is if it works that's one more tool in my kit. If it doesn't I at least answered my questions.

Jan 16, 2011
By, By Have fun.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes tropical tramp, we had a real long all night steady rain,and i belive it was the next evening when i took the photo. thanks for the info. on the other post,i shall look for it. take care. good luck in your searches all. dog,tth

hayman

Greenie
Dec 1, 2010
dog: i hope you hit the jack pot! what would it take to talk you into becoming a weatherman? the next time you see your light by getting the temperature,humidity level, and,barometric pressure. these could be a good indicators to look for these lights. i appreciate the information you have already given. good luck.

Jan 16, 2011
By, By Have fun.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok hayman,ill do that.ill just look on line for the info.,it was just blind luck i took the photo that eve.,i was just trying the lens out that i never knew i had.just found it that day.the day before i just read a couple of post about it.i didnt even know that the rains would help to relase the gases built up.soi dont know,how long it would take to build back up?is it leaking all the time now,till the wind blows dirt back over the cracks from the rain?and dose it have to be a calm day,no wind to keep the gases from being blown away quick? i dont know? we had another rain here,but not no where near as much,i took photos,but nothing showed.there is more to this,just what i was told from a neighbour on what is supposede to be stashed over there.and the same neighbour told me lighting hits that area alot.he has been here for over 10 years,me just about 4 months.iam taking a ride over there this morning,just to scout around. iam itching to get out. takecare. good luck in your searches. dog,tth

hayman

Greenie
Dec 1, 2010
dog,tth:since you live out in the desert west,and if you do any night work. watch out for them rattlers!i went to new mexico one time,and,at night time those things were every where out in the country.if these are reflective gases,then maybe when rain came it loosened up the soil allowing the gases escape kinda like volcano erupting or releasing pressure,and,you might have caught it at the very beginning of its process.it still could be generating gases,but,not near as strong since the pop off valve is open you might have to get in lot closer then the 6 or 7 miles with your camera to capture anything.be safe,and, good luck

Jan 16, 2011
By, By Have fun.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great ideal hayman,i never thought about that.its makes sence,that i would have to much closer now if i want to try and get anything on film,because of the release of the main storage of gases.i think have the area pegged now,at least with in a hundred yards.if i get something on film,ill show for sure. thanks for the info. on the rattlers too. takecare. dog,tth

Jan 16, 2011
By, By Have fun.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well we had a very good long rain here,like the night when i caught the image to next day.i took photos.but nothing showed. i belive in what hayman theroy of the stored up gases have been released,now its very weak,if at all.so iam really wanting to get out,i think i have the area pegged.so iam gonna make a trip in the am.,to see if i can get something on film.or find a sink hole the rains may have opened up.i see that that happens out west here after rains. not like back east where iam from.ill make a post if i come up with anything. good luck in your searches. dog,tth

Jan 16, 2011
By, By Have fun.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well guys,i went out to the area this morning,where i thing the glow was coming from.i got nothing i could see. the photos all seem to lite,like i need a darker lens or need to camp there some eve. and take photos.i should be right in the area.ill post some of the photos so you can have a look.i did find what i thought to be spanish marks.take care. dog,tth

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hint: Bracket your shots try every 15 minutes for a couple hours. If you have the time shoot and patience then shoot from the N then S.

What filter are you using? (should be marked on the ring of a glass filter)

R72 passes only infrared rays above 720nm
RM90 passes only that above 900nm
If you go to buy another filter, try finding the plastic filters (Hoya). They come in a sheet and are way less than the glass filters. If your using a camera like my Olympus D-460, you can get two filters out of one sheet if you cut carefully. Filter adapters can be made from PVC pipe fittings. Or you can cut to fit your glass lens and stack it.

My Olympus is older, but if I do a header down the hill, it's not a great monetary loss, works great is small etc.
Hope this gives you some good help.

Jan 16, 2011
By, By Have fun.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for the info.boogeyman, the filter marked 760. i bought it can all together off ebay years ago.i gonna take some time off on that spot.but i will be back up there.if i get anything when i go back.ill surely keep you guys posted on it. take care.good luck in your searches. dog,tth.

hayman

Greenie
Dec 1, 2010
dog tth: theirs another thing you might look at ,is your camera. you might pull up the menu on your camera,and,see where your settings are. the ISO is one adjustment that i would look at. ISO controls light sensitivity to proessing chip that records your picture on your camera card.they go like 100,200,400 on my old olympus cameras,but,on my cannon SLR they go from 100 to 1600 on ISO.they say the lower you set the ISO the better it is for infrared. their is also shutter speed and aperture settings.your best bet would be get on youtube and type in these setting on search and see what you come up with.they can explain it better then i could do it.if you got a manual with your camera,and,have time read it over. it will help you understand your camera better.then you can figure if its best for you to run it in auto with camera taking care of every thing or manual with your settings put in it.its best to take infrared pictures with the sun behind you,then you will not have near as many problems with reflection in your pictures which could hide things. good luck

Jan 16, 2011
By, By Have fun.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for that info.hayman,ill surely will do that.ill just go outside and mess with those adjustments till i can get it darken up.i hope anyways.i know that iso on there,iam glade you told me 100 better for ir.and ill have to try and figure out how to speed up that shutter,it sure takes a long time in the open position,and ill mess with that f stop too.i have only ever left the thing in auto mode. thanks again. ill surley post for you guys that have a intrest in this,if i catch anything on film again.thanks all for your help. dog,tth.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread