Digital cameras CAN see buried gold

SICARII

Jun 16, 2009
beale said:
SICARII said:
aarthrj3811 said:
During this time could you try using UV filters only instead of IR.
SICARII, Can you tell me what does the USGS or EROS uses as filters when they take their infrared photos. They look like regular photos but they say they are infrared? What type of filters and shutters are they using? I tried to find it through the photos I have ordered but I could not find anything other than their photos, the best are taken at 20,000 ft. elevation.

Sorry beale I have no Idea.:) but still Im doing my part on this claimed :) :icon_thumleft: ;D :laughing9:

Tim Williams

Dec 24, 2005
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Arc-Geo Logger-TM-808-Garrett XL500-Deepstar
Question for those of you who have taken good aura pictures. I now have 3 different cameras, Sony night-shot, Samsung and Kodak both with the IR filter removed. I'm using the 720nm band pass filter still no auras. Photos are taken either N-S or S-N.

Can you please give your setup; filter, camera, angles and target size and length of time in ground?

Tim

rjwmam

Jul 4, 2008
Salt Lake City
Before I forget, here are the latest of my pictures as promised. They have not changed from the first pictures I took. I am going to post them as unmodified except for image size so as not to bog down the tnet servers.

Attachments

• 100_3390.JPG
    100_3390.JPG
    164.2 KB · Views: 2,201
  • 100_3391.JPG
    100_3391.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 2,071
  • 100_3392.JPG
    100_3392.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 2,014
  • 100_3393.JPG
    100_3393.JPG
    26.1 KB · Views: 2,016
  • 100_3394.JPG
    100_3394.JPG
    17.4 KB · Views: 2,038

airborne1092

Sep 7, 2008
Inland NW
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
http://www.madsci.org/posts/1247279746.Es.r.html

It seems that I was incorrect in thinking this effect may be a reflection of UV from the buried material.

Question: Does Ultra Violet (UV) radiation penetrate the surface of the
Earth?

...Even if by less than 12 inches? Can one assume that disturbed soil,
because through the act of digging or disturbing, is less dense and UV
may penetrate more so that soil that has not been disturbed?

Hello James,

As you probably know, UV radiation is a small band of radiation on the
very large electro-magnetic spectrum. The wavelength range for UV is
approximately 400 to 200 nanometers (see link below for definition), and
falls between visible light and x-rays. The smaller the wavelength, the
higher the energy is of the radiation.

There is often a misconception that the smaller the wavelength is (and
the higher the energy), the better the penetrating power of the radiation
will be. This is actually not true, except in the very high energy ranges
of x-rays and above. An example of this is the penetrating power through
air: Visible light, with lower energy than UV, is not absorbed when
passing through the atmosphere. However, UV is partially absorbed by the
atmosphere. The highest energy range of UV (called UVC) is completely
absorbed by the atmosphere, and does not reach the surface of the earth.
(This is a good thing, because UVC would kill us!)

The short answer to your question “Does UV penetrate the surface of the
earth” is NO. Soil absorbs all of the UV radiation within a fraction of
an inch. The best example that demonstrates this is the fact that some
animals, such as elephants will cover themselves with mud (wet soil) to
protect themselves from the burning effects of UV. Mud can be an
effective ‘sunscreen’ for people as well! This thin layer of “earth”
covering the skin effectively blocks the UV radiation.

The physics of exactly ‘how’ electro-magnetic radiation penetrates a
material is very complicated, and relates to how the photons of the
radiation interact with the atoms within a particular material. It turns
out that UV radiation has the least penetrating power of all ranges of
the electro-magnetic spectrum.

I hope that this answers your questions.

Best Regards,

Jay Shapiro
http://www.nanooze.org/english/articles/article4_howbigisananometer.
html

StogieJim

Feb 26, 2007
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Exp 2, Tejon, & Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to add my 2 cents.

First, I'm a spectral remote sensing engineer (Ph.d.) with 13 years experience contracting for the fed. gov't and I have published work that I can refer you to, if interested. This thread is dancing around topics that are my profession.

Second, while I'm sure everyone means well, there is no scientific basic for the ‘treasure aura’ concept. Metals don’t have some magical field around them unless there is a current applied and then it’s a plain magnetic field. They don’t give off any radiation except by virtue of being hot (Wien’s law). Even if they did, that field would not be recorded by an ordinary camera (digital or otherwise) because cameras are designed to respond to wavelengths in the visible part of the electromagnetic spectrum and if a body is hot enough to give off much light you don’t need a camera to find it (think red hot).

Third, if this was a technique that could be validated scientifically, it would be widely known, patented, and in use by people all over the world just raking in the cash.

Fourth, the images presented as evidence can be easily recreated using elementary image processing techniques.

Lastly, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence and there is no credible evidence in this thread supporting 'treasure aura'.

Search well and find big everybody!!

Jim

Notes to responses below:
1) The sensors in digital cameras are called silicon photodiodes and they loose their sensitivity ~1100nm. The figure presents the spectral response of this type sensor. BTW, there's lots of other types that respond to other wavelengths ($$$$$).

2) When light hits materials it does one or all of the following reflect, absorb, or transmit (conservation of energy). Other than Ground Penetrating Radar I'm not aware of any EM radiation that is transmitted through dirt/soil/stone more than a few millimeters (light quartz sand) regardless of wavelength. Not UV, not Near IR, not Short Wave IR, not Mid Wave IR, and no not Thermal IR.

3) If this phenomena were real, then the object must be radiating energy for the camera to collect. Where does this energy come from? There are two possibilities reflectance and/or emission. For buried objects, the reflectance option is out because light doesn’t propagate through dirt. Emission is EM radiation from an object without being irradiated. As an object is heated, it begins to give off EM radiation and this is governed by what is known as Wien’s law. As I said above, for an object to give off much energy in the range of a Si Photodiode it would have to be very hot. Objects in the ground are not that hot. So, the emission option is out.

Where does the “treasure aura” energy come from? It’s not reflected and it’s not emitted and those are the only two options! Tell me where.

4) Patents are fairly easy; they are expensive though. Just search for “Patent Lawyer”. An apparatus to find buried treasure would be patentable. The plan would be: Use the ‘working’ prototype to find a bunch of swag, hire a lawyer, get the patent, lease the patent, retire the richest person in the world (in that order).

Attachments

• Si_Response.gif
    Si_Response.gif
    13.9 KB · Views: 2,374

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike(Mont) said:
I agree with you that far IR does not show up on a common digital camera, but that does not prove that objects don't radiate or reflect other wavelengths. How in the world would a person patent this? You have said nothing.

P.S. What's with all the skeptics named Jim?

Actually, I believe he said plenty. :wink:

If this worked, then the folks who knew of these techniques would Not be writing books about it, or posting details on the internet.

And yes, I agree with the dose of caution, Jim. My wallet will stay in my pocket--at least until I see banner finds made by folks "well versed" in this "technique."

Regards,

Buckles

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good morning Stogie Jim:

Rather impressive qualifications my friend. In most points I have to agree with you, but in other cases, I have questions that do not fit into your broad statement due to various bodies being exposed to the chemical, and physical / electrical configurations of the earth. Metal does decompose, including Au., producing a broad range of visible, invisible, and electromagnetic anomalies.

Under specific conditions that have been outlined, it accumulates this product of decomposition in the form of a gas which falls into the visible spectrum. among others. In this case, they are apparently interested in the 'near' visible spectrum which cannot normally be seen, but hopefully through the sensitivity of reception of a camera can be converted into a visible picture.

I doubt that any human can see the X-Ray portion of the spectrum yet we utilize it daily for diagnostic purposes in the form of negatives and pictures. So it is perfectly logical, in any form of the deductive sciences, to try to utilize the same factor in this case.

I might add "Try a long 'time exposure' my friends, it may fall under the same characteristics / laws as Astronomical photography"..

Regarding heat, I believe that thermal imaging cameras do a fine job on far less, less than the human body emits. As a matter
of fact, thermal imaging is extensively used in Astronomy to measure the heat of distant Astronomical bodies.

Don Jose de La Mancha

StogieJim

Feb 26, 2007
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Exp 2, Tejon, & Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,

Perhaps someone would post a picture of a gold/silver object just laying on a table that shows the treasure aura. Does treasure have to be buried to give off an aura?

Jim

jb7487

Apr 16, 2009
StogieJim, I agree with everything you said. But I think one of the most important points you made is this:

Third, if this was a technique that could be validated scientifically, it would be widely known, patented, and in use by people all over the world just raking in the cash.

I don't know why the people here think that they are on the brink of discovering some new way of finding lost treasures. Thousands of people around the world (if not hundreds of thousands) have tried this by now and have not gotten it to work. I'm all for the idea that there are things left in the world that are unknown to science. But keep in mind that there are many things already known to science to not work. It is a two way street.

I'm happy to believe that you can potentially find treasures using cameras by photographing ground disturbances. The reason I keep harping on that is because many people join the discussion along the way and get swept up in what the latest posts are without going back and re-reading everything else. But I'm not willing to buy into the possibility of auras or other phenomenon that are supported only by pseudoscience and hand waving. No one has yet to show any tests that even remotely show that these phenomenons are anything more than wishful thinking and photographic processing tricks.

There are many people in this world that chose to spread hope through pseudoscience in order to sell things like books, LRL's, and other treasure finding gadgets. And it is natural to want to believe in it. I definitely WANT to believe in it. But I've seen no reason to get my hopes up at this point. But there is nothing wrong with having a healthy interest and performing tests on your own. Indeed, what we've seen here is that those who have attempted to test the validity of the aforementioned book have shown that it is probably incorrect in its assertions.

Tim Williams

Dec 24, 2005
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
I had KyBob go to the silver anomaly and take a shot or two over that site. Because we know it has a large anomaly there and we can use it as a control site. The picture he took looks very good. No photo-shop needed. I asked him to post it here. It may be that targets that have been in the ground for many years to be able to have this aura. More pictures will be taken. I have a place near me that has the same large anomaly type. I plan on traveling to take pictures next week and see what shows up.

Tim

K

Kentucky Kache

This may have already been covered, so forgive me if it has.
Has anyone thought that the aura could be due to a temperature difference in the ground? If there is metal in the earth, you would think that there would be at least a slight temp difference. And that could also explain the discrimination...different temps for different metals.
The cameras way of showing heat radiation. Could it be that simple?

Another thing I would be interested in learning is, how far does light penetrate the earth, on average.

K

Kentucky Kache

mts said:
I think this can best be explained by ground disturbance and moisture/temperature differences. I don't believe in auras and gases coming from gold.

But you have to believe in heat radiation. I'm just wondering if the camera pics up minute heat radiation (from the metal) which is invisible to the human eye, and then playing with picture editing we can, to some degree, highlight what was captured. I dunno.

Tim Williams

Dec 24, 2005
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Heat is possible I guess. One could use a hose pipe to cover the area and take before and after shots. One thing is for sure. The control pictures shows the shadow line and the area where the hole was dug. The IR shot shows the fog like cloud up off the ground and blocking parts of the shadow line from the trees. This is the best pic yet and more shots will be taken for sure.

Tim

kybob

Greenie
Nov 26, 2007
Here is an update to my testing.
I have a different camera now, it is a Sony DSC-S700 7.2 mega-pixal. I decided to make a trip down to a known site; we dug last year looking for Silver coins. We did not find Silver coins at the site, but when we had the soil tested and it contain .89 an ounce of Silver per one ton of dirt. Also it is highly mineralized with other minerals.
First, a little history of this site. We spent 3 years testing and taking data from this site before we dug. The reason was, it is farmland, and we had to wait until the crop was harvested, and then being close to winter, the weather would turn sour on us. I first located this site using the LRL500 mfd appox. ½ mile away. I then pinpointed it, using The LRL500, PMR2, X-Scan, and an Earth field unit. My partner Glenn Bishop came up, and using his instruments he pinpointed the same spot. We then started using different metal detectors over the area connected to the ARC- Geo Logger, and placed this data into our computer software. We used two different pulse induction detectors, two different 2box detectors, and two different resistively meters. They all showed a strong target about 4 to 5 feed below ground level.
If you look at part 1 and part 2 of Tim’s utube video he posted earlier on this thread
(Part 2 is listed below, after you view Part 1) you can see the energy field ring of the target using The Garrett XL500 Pulse Induction with a 3 foot coil on the software.
End of history lesson.
I took my DSC-700 Sony down this morning. Temperature was 79 degrees, time was 11:am, I took the pictures facing North from South.
The first is a plain picture, showing the area we dug last year.
The second picture taken is using 35 mm film for filter. It did not show anything.
The Third picture taken using the 720 infrared filter. (This is the first picture I have taken that shows a possible aura; notice the gas coming off the center of the target area.
All 3 pictures are raw pictures just as they are downloaded from camera.
The forth picture I am sending, is picture I enhanced with software that came with windows Vista. All I did was turn the brightness up and the contrast down.
kybob

Attachments

• target using 720 infrared filter.jpg
    target using 720 infrared filter.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 2,051
  • target using 35mm explosed film.jpg
    target using 35mm explosed film.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 1,928
  • Normal Picture of area.jpg
    Normal Picture of area.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 1,919
  • target using 720 infrared filter enhanced.jpg
    target using 720 infrared filter enhanced.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 2,397

Tim Williams

Dec 24, 2005
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Here is the control picture of the same area. Notice the shaded area has a line with no shifting of the shadow. On the control photo I Lighten and darken tto see if the shadow line changed. What I found is it changed consistent through the shadow area.
1 is control
2 is control darker
3 is control lighter.
4 IR720 nm filter shot. This is not changed by software.
5 Filtered shot.

The first thing I notice about the IR photo is a cloud or fog floating above the anomaly. This photo has not been changed by software. You see it just like it came from the camera. Bob used a 720nm pass filter shooting due north. You can see that the cloud is in front of the shadow in the IR picture and changes the shading of the covered part of the shadow.

On the control picture of the same area. Notice the shaded area has a line with no shifting of the shadow. If you look at the IR photo you can see the fog rises.
Even making the image brighter and the shadow line is the same. This shows that the fog did not show up in the control image but it did when the IR filter was used to block all visible light and pass IR above 720nm.

This is very interesting indeed. If it was a bright area like in pass photos that area would have chaged in the control shot. But there was no change.

Tim

Attachments

• Normal Picture of area.jpg
    Normal Picture of area.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 1,857
  • Normal Picture of area_E1.jpg
    Normal Picture of area_E1.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 1,918
  • Normal Picture of area_E2.jpg
    Normal Picture of area_E2.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 1,872
  • target using 720 infrared filter.jpg
    target using 720 infrared filter.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 1,881
  • target using 720 infrared filter_Enhanced1.jpg
    target using 720 infrared filter_Enhanced1.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 1,916
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good afternoon Tim: extremely fascinating. You are doing just fine. Incidentally that haze in the pictures corresponds to the size and shape of the many fires / luminous gases seen down here, from which many treasures and simple metallic junk have been recovered.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

JB: HI my friend: Remember, all present science, was pseudo science in it's infancy. Today's pseudo science is tomorrows advanced science. What it means effectively is that what we presently know is infinitesimal compared to what we don't know.

How do you explain the x-Ray thingie as to not being similar to the presented theories / applications?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kentucky: Heat re-radiaton is perfectly plausible under certain conditions, but it will almost be limited to the object or it's immediate vicinity, not indicated as a haze.

MTS: You posted --> I don't believe in auras and gases coming from gold.

Why not?? What's so unique about Gold that it 'can't' produce those reactions?

Don Jose de La Mancha

p.s. Evening SWR

VICTORIO

Jun 8, 2005
Detector(s) used
Pulse Star II & Whites TM808
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MTS: You posted --> I don't believe in auras and gases coming from gold.

I didn't Either........ Until I saw them............. Several Times.

kybob

Greenie
Nov 26, 2007
I went back this morning to the Silver site were I took the pictures yesterday and took another picture over the hole we dug last year. I wanted to do this about the same time to see if the aura would still show. The time was 11:10 am when I took the picture, the temperature was 74 degrees.
I made a mistake in yesterday's post, I said I took the pictures South to North. I took them with my back to the North and facing South the same as today. It may not matter, but when you are doing research or testing, it pays to be as accurate as you can be.
kybob

Attachments

• Site Target in center Infrared 720 filter.jpg
    Site Target in center Infrared 720 filter.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 2,089

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread