Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

10claw

Aug 16, 2009
want the best rope for this?? go to army/navy store and parachute cord, it's tough and will stretch a little.
you get 100 ft. for $10.00. if you think you need something stronger, simply double it. have fun.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Toby1858 said:
O.K. you all have got me wanting to hit the lake now. Maybe extract my new rod and reel I lost recently!
Not even going to ask ;D ::) I'll just wait to see it on you tube ;D Seriously, hope you find it in a nice 20 pound tangle of rods reels and some nice plugs sprinkled across for good measure! Best of luck! Let us know how you fare!

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Siegfried Schlagrule said:
250 pound pull is not the same as 250# lift. The lift would have to be slow and gradual. A quick tug and it would come loose. Head north and you can
find coins at the swimming beaches in canada. pure nickel is magnetic. You can also get great magnets in scrap microwave ovens. Magnetic lamp bases have the added benefit of a threaded bolt so you can easily add a handle. regards, siegfried schlagrule

I pulled a 55 gallon drum out of Dickison Bayou with mine, at the time i only had one nylon rope on it, now i have 3.Talk about heavy.......Got it at harbor freight..

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sniffer Elf said:
I think I'm going to try it myself
You should! I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. We were constantly amazed using grapnels and magnets. I still wonder how some of the stuff we found got where it was in the water :icon_scratch:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
boogeyman said:
Sniffer Elf said:
I think I'm going to try it myself
You should! I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. We were constantly amazed using grapnels and magnets. I still wonder how some of the stuff we found got where it was in the water :icon_scratch:

A great place to use it is around boat ramps, people always drop tools, and such there...Have pulled out some neat stuff over the years...I want to put 3 of the large mags side by side, and use that this next summer..That will be my winter project.....What is a grapnel?????

ray in ny

Jan 21, 2006
southern tier ny
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S CLASSIC III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a great thread--I have had this idea since I was a kid and just never followed through--has anyone tried it from a boat--I have a small aluminum 14-footer I could use--just trolling around, getting farther out and deeper than just around docks. Anyone do that and find anything worthwhile?

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Real de Tayopa Tropical Tramp said:
Morning Gallileo: You posted -->What is a grapnel ?
A small anchor with three or more flukes.

Don Jose de La Mancha

"I exist to Live, not live to exist".

Oh I see, do you use it to pull stuff up with???

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When someone goes missing around water, grapnel's are used to drag for a body.
Also used to get a bite while climbing up a ships hull or wall etc.

gh.jpg

Alienson

Nov 15, 2011
Austin, Texas, area
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Metal detecting with a magnet where your MD is banned

Last year I lost my folding anchor from my kayak. I just happened to have my Harbor Freight magnet in the truck and used it to "fish" for and find the anchor.

While reading this thread, it struck me that places such as state parks are other areas with water that ban MDing can be skirted somewhat by magnet fishing from the docks and boat ramps. I figure that is one way we can beat them and still enjoy our hobby of finding things. --Be careful, however, you just may pull out a Merc...not a dime, but a Mercury outboard motor!

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What are some of the goodies you guys have caught magnet fishing???

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I HAD MY HANDS ON THE MOST POWERFUL MAGNET THAT I HAVE EVER HANDLED, A FEW
YEARS AGO (WHEN I WAS STILL WORKING). IT PROBABLY WEIGHED 8 TO 10 POUNDS.

I KEPT IT ON MY METAL WORK BENCH AND FOLKS WOULD WALK BY AND THINK THAT IT
WAS A MOTOR SHAFT OR A PIECE OF PIPE, AND TRY TO PICK IT UP. THEY ALL FAILED
AND WANTED TO KNOW HOW I HAD IT MOUNTED. I WOULD WAIT TILL THEY WERE NOT LOOKING AND ROLL IT TO THE EDGE AND TURN IT 90 DEGREES, AND SLIDE IT OFF OF
THE EDGE WITH A QUICK JERK. AND HAND IT TO THEM. THE FIRST THING THAT WOULD
HAPPEN WAS IT WOULD GO STRAIGHT TO THE POCKET AND ATTATCH IT'S SELF TO ANY POCKET KNIFE OR SMALL TOOL, OR SOMETIMES IT WOULD GET THEIR BELT BUCKLE.

ONCE ATTATCHED, IT WAS A BATTLE TO GET IT LOOSE.

I LOST TRACK OF HOW MANY GATE/DOOR CARDS I WENT THRU AND CREDIT CARDS.
THAT THING WOULD WIPE OUT ANY CARD WITHIN A FOOT OF IT. (POCKET KNIFE TO
WALLET DISTANCE = LESS THAN A FOOT. NOBODY WANTED TO PICK IT UP AFTER ABOUT
6 MONTHS. I GUESS WORD GOT AROUND ABOUT NOT BEING ABLE TO USE THEIR
GATE PASS CARD TO GET INTO THE SHOP. :laughing9:

I MAY GO BACK AND SEE IF THEY STILL HAVE IT..... NOT SURE IF I CAN GET IT OUT OF
MY TRUCK IN ORDER TO USE IT FOR FISHING.. :dontknow:

MIKEL

bblaha

Jul 25, 2012
Iv found a lot of nails and chunks of rusty iron, Iv had one good find and it was a flint lock pistol I got out of the Ohio river, I didn't even find it my little brother did because it was his turn, and he doesn't even know what he did with it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions