A Newb Tequnique: Dragging a Magnet

Kimbrough

Jun 18, 2006
Signal Mountain, TN
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Hello all, I love this newfound hobby! I've been digging up lots of trash in my yard for a month or so now. I thought I'd post an idea I came up with BEFORE you ever start too use a MD. I found 2 old car speakers and screwed them into a couple of 2x4's. I drug them around the yard and picked up about 10 pound of nails and other assorted trash. Even found a rock attracted to the magnets! Anywho, these were all potential "hits" for my detector that I didn't need to dig. Hope this helps. Good Luck!

jb7487

Apr 16, 2009
That's a great idea! I bet that would work wonders in the wood chip tot lots to "clean house" every now and then. :wink:

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
:thumbsup: Good thinking Kim and thanks for the tip.
Welcome to TNET by the way. Good to have you here.

Happy Hunting

Desertfox

OP
OP
Kimbrough

Kimbrough

Jun 18, 2006
Signal Mountain, TN
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Another bonus is I protect my baby boy from all those rusty nails and sharps.

My 2.5 year old son loves to drag the magnets around like daddy so I just follow him with the MD and mark the "good pings" with flags like for marking underground utilities. I dig 'em up while he's napping. :wink:

okey dokey

Mar 23, 2009
Muskogee
Mr. K,
There is a commercial roller that really picks up metal great that the roofers used on my yard after a re-roofing job.
Your a little late for the invention but it shows that your creative and practical.
okey dokey

dogcaught

Mar 2, 2008
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II sunray x-1 probe
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Vanquish 540
I know this is an older post but would just like to revisit with a little twist. A while back I read an article in WE&T about magnet fishing. To sum it up, you tie a very powerful magnet to a rope and chuck it in just about any body of water. You wont find any US coinage (except maybe steel cents ;D) no silver or gold, but there is still plenty of other stuff to bring up. I did find a few knives and all sorts of hooks, lures, and weights (attached to line, attached to lures/hooks). When the magnets sticks to something metal it does feel very much like a fish biting. You get the same rush! Then slowly and carefully bring it in so the magnet does not slide off the object. I do recommend using a somewhat heavy rope and a rope long enough to tie to the hitch on your truck for those very stubborn snags. The 250LB pull magnet can be picked up from harbor freight for around $14.00 and most rope will do. Cheap entertainment with good results! JJ

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=36905

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you use the Harbor Freight magnets, stop by the Dollar Store on the way home & pick up a Tupperware container that fits the magnet. Cut a hole in the top for the ring to fit through. Will save you a ton of time picking that pesky magnetite off. If you're picking up tons of nails & small scraps it'll speed things up. Just hold it over a trash can & pull the bottom off.

If water searching, you can use a piece of 1" angle iron to put two or three magnets side by side. Just replace the ring bolts with bolts and lock washers. Drill holes in the ends of the angle to add a harness. As stated above, a large rope is recommended ;D And last but not least, DON'T lean it up against the side of your vehicle unless you're into entertaining the tourists! ::) :help:

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
boogeyman said:
If you use the Harbor Freight magnets, stop by the Dollar Store on the way home & pick up a Tupperware container that fits the magnet. Cut a hole in the top for the ring to fit through. Will save you a ton of time picking that pesky magnetite off. If you're picking up tons of nails & small scraps it'll speed things up. Just hold it over a trash can & pull the bottom off.

If water searching, you can use a piece of 1" angle iron to put two or three magnets side by side. Just replace the ring bolts with bolts and lock washers. Drill holes in the ends of the angle to add a harness. As stated above, a large rope is recommended ;D And last but not least, DON'T lean it up against the side of your vehicle unless you're into entertaining the tourists! ::) :help:

Keep it away from your wristwatch, too. And, of course, keep it away from your metal detector. Many detectors use ROMs preloaded with software that can be erased; like your computer harddrive.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dogcaught said:
I know this is an older post but would just like to revisit with a little twist. A while back I read an article in WE&T about magnet fishing. To sum it up, you tie a very powerful magnet to a rope and chuck it in just about any body of water. You wont find any US coinage (except maybe steel cents ;D) no silver or gold, but there is still plenty of other stuff to bring up. I did find a few knives and all sorts of hooks, lures, and weights (attached to line, attached to lures/hooks). When the magnets sticks to something metal it does feel very much like a fish biting. You get the same rush! Then slowly and carefully bring it in so the magnet does not slide off the object. I do recommend using a somewhat heavy rope and a rope long enough to tie to the hitch on your truck for those very stubborn snags. The 250LB pull magnet can be picked up from harbor freight for around $14.00 and most rope will do. Cheap entertainment with good results! JJ

I bought one of those and still aven't had a chance to use it. Maybe this winter.....

boogeyman said:

Good recommendations

acehunter

Feb 2, 2009
california
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250, gold scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Under the right circumstances you also might be able to find meterorites. Just depends on where your at.

BloodyBelle

Aug 22, 2010
OK, this hasn't been posted in for 120 days and I'm sure I want to continue. What a great forgotten idea. I remember years ago ripping magnets out of old computers to do this. Why? I checked out the harbor weight thing and they're on sale. I live right next to the river and won't be swishing because of my back. I think I'll take some kids out to do this.

Questions:

Will a 250 lb'er pull in something 250 lbs.? If so I can't use it. Would braided nylon rope suffice? And while I'm at it, any suggestions for good protective gloves that would gives us more dexterity than an astronaut on a moon walk?

I'm excited. No muss. No fuss. And fun.

BloodyBelle

Aug 22, 2010
592 thousand bottles of beer on the wall, 592 thousand bottles of beer if one of

Harro Tokyo?

BloodyBelle

Aug 22, 2010
Ferchrissake--Do I have to threaten to jump?, or, 1 million bottles of beer on t

But seriously, if I don't do something I'm going to crack up. And think of it, I'll post less!

(Lower back issues currently)

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
250 pound pull is not the same as 250# lift. The lift would have to be slow and gradual. A quick tug and it would come loose. Head north and you can
find coins at the swimming beaches in canada. pure nickel is magnetic. You can also get great magnets in scrap microwave ovens. Magnetic lamp bases have the added benefit of a threaded bolt so you can easily add a handle. regards, siegfried schlagrule

BloodyBelle

Aug 22, 2010
Siegfried Schlagrule said:
250 pound pull is not the same as 250# lift. The lift would have to be slow and gradual. A quick tug and it would come loose. Head north and you can
find coins at the swimming beaches in canada. pure nickel is magnetic. You can also get great magnets in scrap microwave ovens. Magnetic lamp bases have the added benefit of a threaded bolt so you can easily add a handle. regards, siegfried schlagrule

Let me put this simply: What would be the right harbor freight magnet for a decrepit old lady to drop off of, or toss out from, a low bridge into a real river? I really want to do this.

WishfulThinker

Jan 10, 2009
Houston, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have broken loose from bottom about 1/5 of pull weight in the past. 250# pull would be OK, but use some kind of cable or very heavy duty rope as 10 ft leader from magnet and then use as a minimum 1/4 inch nylon line/rope for the remainder of the length. Use leather gloves and LOOK at the line as you are pulling it in. Little things like fish hooks and glass shards can get embedded in the rope. Always carry a short stick or piece of plastic pipe to make a quick pulling handle, by winding line around it; NEVER wrap line around your hand.

Used to use "flying gaff - treble hook rig (four inch size)" and "catch net" to raise fish 20 ft. to fishing pier in Florida like that.

BloodyBelle

Aug 22, 2010

Well, they were on sale a week ago. And then in this thread there is the tupperware idea which I thought was very clever.

So for me, and for The Kid (who at 15 doesn't want anything to do with me but I don't mind making him feel guilty for it) might the 150 lb'ers be better? Or one of each? (If the sale is still on.) Even the 100 lb'er for a younger one who will adore me for being so cool?

TIA! Mo' later or tomorrow or the next day. I'm mad busy but avoiding the job at hand.

And please somebody answer my ? about gloves in general.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BloodyBelle said:
Siegfried Schlagrule said:

Let me put this simply: What would be the right harbor freight magnet for a decrepit old lady to drop off of, or toss out from, a low bridge into a real river? I really want to do this.
They have several sizes in the stores. I don't think they show them all on the web site. There's a couple that are small enough to throw like a softball. You can check em out & see what feels comfortable to you.

A couple of hints:
If you have three or four magnets on a bar, and working off a bridge or dock you can get out further by tying the end of the rope to the dock. Walk the rig down the bank or beach & chuck it in from there.

Use a slow steady hand over hand pull 1-2' at a time. Use your fingers to feel what's going on. If you feel it grab, but it doesn't feel like it's got a good grip walk up & down the dock while wiggling the rope. Sometimes it'll bring the other magnets in contact.

Like in fishing from a pier. If you don't think the object will stick enough to haul it up, walk it into shore. Same for large objects. You may be able to hold it underwater, but as soon as it breaks surface it'll drop.

1/2" rope will work fine for three of these magnets on a piece of 1/2" angle with a 3' long piece of chain for a harness.
tackle
Also, if you really get into dragging, check out some of the Bait & Tackle shops. They sell ready made grapnels. Big treble hooks with lead cast on them. Three on a bar like described for magnets works great on piers for dragging up tackle. Hint if the hooks have the barbs on, file em off! If you get hung up you can usually work the hooks out so you don't loose your outfit.

If you have access to a public pier you will be dumbfounded how much & what you'll pull up.

Last but not least. Be considerate if working a pier or fishing dock. Stay away from the fishermen. You risk dragging up their lines & might end up getting impromptu swimming lessons.

Hope this gives you some ideas!! Happy hunting!!

BloodyBelle

Aug 22, 2010
Rushing--will get back to your post and I thank you for it.

Concerning those "swimming lessons?" Excellent advice.

See, I fish. And I'm 1/4 Italian with a surname that proves it. I give 'swim with the fishes lessons'! :laughing7: 8)

TTYL.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread