signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Minelab, Aqua-Pulse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey cuzcosquirell and Anthony:
I moved the GIS thread here because this is the forum where folks are looking for methods and have actually got a GPS thread running along with some serious map researchers. This would be the place I think. For you folks who stumbled into this topic without warning, it started at the cob forum... wrong place to discuss mapping technology and the like. This forum is more like it.

UTM is OK, and, in fact if you need to use the Dept. Environmental Protection dune setback monuments, you have to set your map datum with UTM. I don't know why the DEP used UTM, but, it is in the same zone across the state while state plane has three different systems in Florida. I got some magnetometer charts that were done back in the 60's in UTM and the only way I could translate them accurately was to find the coordinates of the setback monuments on the chart and lay the linework onto a photo that was registered in state plane.

As for Google Earth, you're right, you can convert using their options online, but, if you get data from property appraisers, it will be in state plane most of the time. You can go to www.labins.org and find it already converted for some stuff, but not everything. And if you get it directly from the property appraiser websites, it will not be in UTM, or geographic.

I have had luck getting un-colared maps and aerials from the St. Johns Water Management District in the past that were offered both in UTM and state plane. www.sjrwmd.org

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Hey Terry,
I followed the thread from Cobs and find your work interesting. I use a Mac and it seems I'm limited because the majority of the programs out there just haven't been written to include MacIntosh.
Anyway I'll let itmaiden know about this thread. She'll be most interested!
Aquanut

OP
OP
signumops

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goldminer:
Like I said, all I know is that Rex Stocker had an exploratory running from Cocoa Beach to Melbourne Beach. But, officially, I know nothing, absolutely nothing! I still don't know who was diving at those bouys that one fine day(?) Bottoms up.
ps. boat still in storage... wind and wishes bout the only thing we have plenty of at the moment. But, I am going to hit the dunes tomorrow.

OP
OP
signumops

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey aquanut:
I thought Mr. Bill might move some sand, but, it does not look that promising ^#%#%$@)(^!!!
The Sebastian Inlet Beach Cam does show some cut on the north side of the jetty over the last 4 days, but I don't know if its enough. I rely heavily on that camera. Saves gas. http://www.sebastianinletcam.com/
The 7:30 pm shot this evening looked promising...

For the sanborn mappers out there here are some screen shots of Titusville sanborn 1926 on main street where the old armoury used to be. I wrote the VueScape program for the property appraiser's office and it lets you stab in a point on layered data and attach a coordinate to it so you can get the same reference as you drill down in the layers. Also added some shots of 39a in 1943 and, as it is seen in 2005... just for grins. All of these photos and the sanborn map are mosaiced and geo-referenced. Basically, if you have the patience, you can do this on your own computer at home... don't know about the MAC... I only write for standard Microsoft Windows 32 bit platforms.

Attachments

• 39avuescape.gif
    39avuescape.gif
    222.6 KB · Views: 429
  • armourydetail.gif
    armourydetail.gif
    41.2 KB · Views: 442
  • armourysanborn.gif
    armourysanborn.gif
    55.1 KB · Views: 447
  • armoury1943.gif
    armoury1943.gif
    142.1 KB · Views: 427
  • armoury2005.gif
    armoury2005.gif
    320.5 KB · Views: 417
  • 39a2005.gif
    39a2005.gif
    309.3 KB · Views: 426
  • 39a1943.gif
    39a1943.gif
    185.4 KB · Views: 417

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
aquanut said:
Hey Terry,
I followed the thread from Cobs and find your work interesting. I use a Mac and it seems I'm limited because the majority of the programs out there just haven't been written to include MacIntosh.
Anyway I'll let itmaiden know about this thread. She'll be most interested!
Aquanut

Hi Aquanut,
Don't know if you've thought about it, but IBM Thinkpad laptops can be had for real close to $100. I've got one set up with TOPO and some other mapping programs etc for use in the field. Added a Magellan 315 (got in a trade) and a Garmin LT GPS. Total cost around $160 - $170. My camera allows transfer to the laptop. The whole package fits in the backpack quite nicely. $100 something for a dedicated system that allows me to have all my mapping stuff, notes, pictures at hand in the field is a dream.

Might give you an alternative that doesn't kill the tool budget in one fell swoop.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions