Large area search for cave recommendations?

ff404

Sep 16, 2007
Going home from Africa in October for vacation, and planning on trying to sneak a little bit of hunting/research in while I'm there. Looking at several local tales of some caves, etc... but one in particular. I've located the area on GPS and have marked the three tallest areas in the range hoping that might help with identification of one of the landmarks mentioned in the legend. The question I have is, does anyone have any recommendations for seeking out a cave in about a 6 square mile area of wilderness? That probably sounds like a bit farfetched quest, but figured that it doesn't hurt to ask!

Any help anyone can offer will be greatly appreciated.

littleneckhalfshell

Jun 21, 2005
sorry about getting to your post so late. But Caves 'breath' I am not sure when they exhale, but cold air can be found coming out of a cave mouth. Some openings of caves have been found because cattle clustered around the hole in the ground that was the entrance to enjoy the cool air. It would seem to me that if you had the ability to take a picture with a camera with 'thermal film' from the air (by plane, or balloon or remote controlled vehicle) any area where there was a cave entrance would show darker (cooler) than the surrounding country side. Anyway, just a suggestion.

HiiiQ

Nov 6, 2004
Good post littleneckhalfshell ! It's also possible to find a cave during the winter. If there is a snow cover and you see a small clear patch (melted snow) it might be a cave entrance or a point where a cave is very close to the surface.

cptbild

Oct 3, 2005
NM/AZ/CA/Co/Utah & P.I. Tx.
Using a 35mm camera with Kodak's new IR film
would be the way to go :hello2:
It's a whole lot better than the old IR Film
Check in to it, for instructions on using/processing, etc, with a Kodak Dealer :read2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread