Looking for tips on hunting the woods.

Mobes

Oct 4, 2007
Westmont IL
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV
So I have a few spots in the middle of the woods that I would love to hunt and see whats around these old foundations, the only problem I have is that I'm still new to this and Im not sure what the easiest way is to do it. Do you guys only hunt in the woods in the spring when all the weeds are not present or do you just fight your way through them? I have tried but I know that I am missing alot of stuff im sure and getting frustrated with not being able to sweep the ground proficiently. Also any other tips you guys can give that I may not be thinking of would be more than welcome and apprieciated. Thanks in advance to any help you guys can provide.

~MetalDigger~

Oct 20, 2007
North Carolina
Get you a push mower, or weedeater, bush axe, something and clear the weeds, then get you some flags, and grid the area off. Search in grids, and over lap your swings on each pass, that should yeild maxium results. Also you can go over the area in all metal mode first, then come back, and refine your serch settings and get the good stuff. I'm kinda new to this, been out of the hobby for a while, and just purchased a new detector. I say hunt as long as the ground is not rock hard/frozen.

LOL, a push mower...

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I started detecting three years ago, I really never gave the woods their due until I
started finding coins that were most often, over 100-years old. Now you can't get me out
of them. As you'll soon discover, the woods are a trove for surface and buried artifacts.

As for the best time of the year to hunt, now and early spring. But, when you start finding
the old stuff, you'll want to hunt them all the time. Check out "historicaerials.com" for some
of the areas you're interested in hunting, they're VERY helpful to compare the changing
landuse patterns of the past and present.

I notice by your avatar you live near Chicago, check out the Illinois forum. . . a lot of good
local info and folks to hunt with.

Take care,
watercolor

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I take a machette with me....one hell of a workout, I am exhausted, no anger issues, drink a lot of water then commence the diggin.

ibjeepn

May 27, 2012
Butler, Pa
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic Whites Classic II
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I take a machette with me....one hell of a workout, I am exhausted, no anger issues, drink a lot of water then commence the diggin.
I do as well. Have my ol army ruck sack and frame. A great thing to hold "needs" such as water,lunch,map,ect. Also to hold clothes in cooler weather. Keep your machete or other sharp. Makes the work alot easier. HH

ret-detector

Feb 20, 2013
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you really want to wander around in the Southern woods, wear long pants and watch for snakes around logs and ponds.
You really don't want to step over one...bad experience.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I find a old foundation I try and see if there's was a front door & a backdoor,to see if they threw their trash outback or somewhere in front of the house or maybe to the side.Is there a well close by?Try and look at the lay of the land,look for big trees close to the foundation,where swings might have been.Google maps might also show old roads in the area.
If there's allot of growth a machete might be the way to go,if there's to much leave litter,Lowes sells a collaspable leaf rake,for about $10,you could always rake back the leaves,to see rust from old cans,metal,etc.
Good Luck

Chuck Acorn

Tenderfoot
Oct 17, 2010
I always have my back pack with me when I head for the woods .. Great for carrying digging tools, GPS, first aid kit, extra batteries, a tarp, flags, folding shovel, water, and a snack . I set it down when I reach the hunt site and start diggin .. Back packs are great for carrying out your relics ..

Sandscoopdan

May 19, 2012
Cypress,Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Extreme scoop
Boat: 20ft Four Winns w/92 V8 5.0L Cobra Mustang engine
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Lesche ground shark , it's a longer shovel to pull plugs, a smaller lesche digger, Academy and other sporting good stores sells snake proof leg shields to go over pants. Have fun with ur spot. Also they sell mosquito head nets to go over hat if there are Mosquitos, sun screen and that is all I can think of right now. It is really hot out here right now and I feel like I'm gonna pass out. Gatorade, water, Gatorade, water

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just because there is an old foundation does mean you will find anything. More often than not I have been disappointed but finding one old coin makes you keep going back.

I hunt a place that is grown up with 1" - 3" diameter trees that hosted outdoor music festivals 25 to 40 years ago. it's really tough to detect but there are lots of old silver coins in there. The crowds were from 3000 to 15,000 people all sitting on what was once a grassy hill. It wears me out walking through there trying to detect and when I get a hit I usually have to dig up shallow roots to get it.

I also found an old moonshine still site that was used during prohibition and I have found a cpl Indian head pennies and a few old sliver spoons and forks. legend has it there is buried money there as well but I have my doubts.

I try to hunt the woods in the spring with no new growth and the trees don't shade the ground.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Beware of open well holes hidden in tall grass,you go down a deep one youre basically a dead man.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread