newbie...help with a treasure hunter-navigator plus

turtlequeen

Tenderfoot
Dec 31, 2005
United States
it tends to beep at a point, and i can roughly pinpoint where it beeps, but i always miss it. i have searched for about 1-2 hours at a lake that had receded due to drought, and i found 2 bottlecaps in some gravel, and then when i went near the shore, it had to many trash beer cans and things, and i couldn't get an accurate read. any suggestions? i got the detector for a gift, and i barely know how to use it. i understand rougly how to discriminate, sensitivity, etc.
i noticed there's not a newbie thread here, so i have no clue how to get tips to begin. any places i should be looking? how do i know how deep it is?
i searched for this detector on the board, and no one seems to have it, so i am having a hard time figuring out how to work it, and the settings i need for certain areas. HELP!!! ???

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stay away from shore as you mentioned its full of crap the further out you go the less trash us a pull tab and a gold ring place them on the ground find the disc. level so that you pick up them both they both fall in the same range so your better off digging them both everything else silver and coins go up on the dics scale try a hand claw like for gargening or a plastic feedscoop depending on the matrix sand, rocky/mixed clay etc what tools you use etc were you live etc

OP
OP
turtlequeen

turtlequeen

Tenderfoot
Dec 31, 2005
United States
thank you. the digging info especially helped. i had no clue which one to bring. as far as the disc...should i do a second sweep with it off to find iron items? what sort of items would i miss out on with the disc. on a higher level?

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you disc to the point were all you dig is coins and silver you miss GOLD!when fingers get wet and pruned they shrink so normally tight fitting rings slidd ouf easy and beside the fact iron is a pain to dig try putting your detector in all metal mode and walk around for a few minutes youll see how much metal is in the ground then turn the disc up notch to notch youll notice signals fall out some stay etc pull tabs and beaver tails(modern tabs) fall in the same range as gold so the further out you go in the "water" the less trash youll still pop out trash but much less the good stuff is more likely there waiting to scooped up..as far as iron goes do you want to dig up a car starter or box of nails someone lost while building a dock etc unless this lake has historic signifigince then thats a different can of worms

OP
OP
turtlequeen

turtlequeen

Tenderfoot
Dec 31, 2005
United States
thanks again. all my detector doeas on the disc. is listed high to low. where should i turn it on for gold, silver, and coins?

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok if you turn up the disc to high till its as high as it will go all you will find is silver,(rings,coins,etc) coins(cooper/zinc pennie,dimes,quaters) or large peices of iron or aluminium cant get past that even with high end machines
nickels are lower on the scale and so is gold, so what youll need is a tab off a can a peice of gold find a spot were there are no signals close by. lay the tab on the grond turn your disc all the way up you wont hear it right?right!slowly turn it down while you swing it when it gives you a solid tone stop then lay the gold on the ground do you here it as you swing it you should if not turn your disc down till you hear the gold thats what you want to hear!!! now you have tuned your machine in to pick up low conductive targets gold which also will allow you to find coins and silver so take out your machine and learn its sounds etc hope this helps a little..........

OP
OP
turtlequeen

turtlequeen

Tenderfoot
Dec 31, 2005
United States
;Dthank you so much for all the help! this definatley helps! hopefully this will solve my problem. i just have one last question, it may be stupid, and i'm sorry if it is, but i'm just curious....does the disc. on the position where it picks up gold(the setting you just described) include white gold? i'm sorry if it's a stupid question, but i wanted to know. hehe. thanks again.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The best way to see where your detector picks up a white gold ring is to lay one on the ground and wave the coil over it and move the disc. knob back and forth to see where it should be set. Usually depending what alloys are mixed with gold will cause it to sometimes read near the iron range and some even into it. Thats why most of use dig it all when we are water hunting as the digging is easier. In grass we tune out foil and lose the white gold rings. Don't be surprised if your machine has trouble with gold chains, most do.

HH,
Sandman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread