jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IF they are Lying on top of the Ground, infrared May work. ALTHO "infrared" may NOT be the Right light source, Hopefully someone here can Explain Better

? If they are Hidden, ONLY Research will work, unless they are in a Metal box

that you can detect.

What ever you do, DON'T FALL for a "Diamond Detector" ;D

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
why dont you teach the dog to find diamonds??? :)

Good site explaining finding diamonds:

http://brysonburke.com/ex_overview_and_index.html

Diamonds may be found in alluvial (material deposited by running water) formations and in volcanic pipes, filled with blue ground or kimberlite, an igneous rock consisting largely of serpentine. At the surface the blue ground is weathered to a clay called yellow ground.

Diamantiferous (or diamondiferous), or diamond-yielding, earth is mined both by the open-pit method and by underground mining.

OP
OP
F

FredMaxwell

That's very interesting,
I've heard that diamond isn't all that rare

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FredMaxwell said:
That's very interesting,
I've heard that diamond isn't all that rare

Diamonds aren't actually rare.

The Value is Artificially High, due to the Diamond Mine Owners, Limiting the Number Released
Yearly to the Public. INVESTIGATE : De Beers?https://www.debeersgroup.com/
And Advertising convincing Women If their Man doesn't Buy them one he Doesn't Really Love her

IF you try to buy a 20 Point Diamond it will Cost you a Mint.
Around here If you Try to sell a 20 Point Diamond, they pay 10 cents a point.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

FredMaxwell

I'm not up on pricing but I actually know diamond fairly well(cut consumer stones)
What I like about diamond is that the per measure price (my own term ;D) is higher for larger stones
I don't think gold works that way.

Also, diamond looks good to me, I guess CZ looks as good and you see more dispersion - I love things that shine for some reason ;D

Cut diamond is a great way to hide money let me tell you I could hide $5M and you would not ever find it!
Funny what Debeers got away with, makes me think that if I discovered a big ?deposit? of rough, might be more dough in it selling to D than if I sold the diamond! ;D ;D

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FredMaxwell said:
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?Funny what Debeers got away with, makes me think that if I discovered a big ?deposit? of rough, might be more dough in it selling to D than if I sold the diamond!? ;D ;D

Yea , ain't that the truth :)

If you try to start a Diamond Buisness, They would Under cut you so far, you would be
begging them to take them off your hands.
after putting you out of buisness, they would raise their price again, till someone else
tries to get into the buisness.

there was a show on TV years ago on De Beers. It showed lines of very young kids at tables,
cutting diamonds for a couple cents each.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
?Quote from Jeff...... ? ? ? ?And Advertising convincing Women If their Man doesn't Buy them one he Doesn't Really Love her

If you guys really loved us , you would buy us Sorrels and Carhartts? to keep us warm? while we hunt? and a New Metal detector? so we could find our own treasures!!!!!? :-*

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Gypsyheart
You have answered the question why I am still single after all these years? I do not know what Sorrels and Carhartts are.

However, getting back on track on IDing diamonds. Fluorescence would be one method to use. Use a portable UV light at night.? Not all diamonds fluoresce and I believe the most intense would be a blue color. You would also need to learn that many materials, rocks, minerals fluoresce. For example calcite, dolomite commonly fluoresce yellow.

This would not work on hidden diamonds but I also thought about using a portable UV light at night in parking lots, ect looking fo stones knocked out of settings. (Hi Officer- What am I dong here?)

I remember many years ago some folks obtained some old carpet from an old movie threater just for the purpose of looking for lost diamonds. They simply washed the old carpet and went thru the residue looking for loose diamonds.

Jeff
Certainly the field or woods where that airliner went down with all those diamonds would be place to search with a UV light after a rainstorm.

George

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bakergeol, I can tell you must live where it's warm most of the year and in a big city to boot. I wear Sorrels and Carhartts in the winters.

I like finding my diamonds the easy way with a metal detector and the stone is mounted on a ring. Location is everything. If you don't hunt where the diamond wearing people gather, you'll mainly collect CZ's and semi precious stones, or beer pull tabs.

P

peg legged

So you are interested in Diamonds. How far are you willing to go to recovery them.
I went to Sierra Leone many years ago and located what would have been the worlds largest diamond deposit but the problem was I was there when the DIAMOND WAR started.
What you have to do is a ton of research and listen to what is being said but mainly what is NOT being said. There is an area along the coastline south of Freetown and south of Sherbro Island that is covered with diamonds BUT one must be very very carefull with who you deal with. 12 year old kids carry AK-47s.
Later

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
post this on the dowsing forum and ill bet someone tells you its possible! ;D

ericwt

Feb 8, 2004
Note: If using a blacklight it requires almost total darkness. Shortwave is best for diamonds. Forget about using in with any sunlight or even a full moon.

ericwt

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diamonds wil refract light of any kind, so that is a possibilty for exposed diamonds. I have found several of them thanks to this feature - they sparkle in the sun or at night when you shine a bright light on them.

How to find them through layers of soil and other overlay? Detect alot until you have a lot of coins, then cash them in on diamonds. Or just find them mounted in jewelry and avoid the intermediate steps.

buscadero

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Corpus Christi, Tx.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Bakergeol: I believe you're right! Some Diamonds will Florescence BLUE under LW UV Light! Also ALL Diamonds will light up under X-Ray!
That is the way they sort them in S. Africa & Elsewhere!
All we have to figure out is how to make a Portable X-Ray to take to the Crater of Diamonds!

Joe

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
Real shame that you can find a beaute of a diamond and unless sold to another customer you are outta luck selling it to a company / jeweler. Unless of course you can find my favorite stones twin.

The Hope Diamond.

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And Chuck Clevenger is a good dealing guy. A tad curmudgeonly, but a straight shooter. If I was buying new, Id go to him.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread