Sniffing Wasps

jon43

Jan 18, 2006
owensboro , ky
gypsyheart said:
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/2005-12-03-sniffing-wasps_x.htm?csp=34

Shoot me now...This leads to a bunch of questions....like what if you get a rogue wasp and it goes off and breeds and starts an army of militant mutant wasps who take over all the gold and silver stashes...hmmm....another thing...I cant follow my sister through a crowded mall.....I dont know how I would chase a bee through the woods! :)
;D that was funny

S

stefen

This is an interesting premise and appears to have been thought out to some degree as to both, positve and negative aspects.

The applications may be endless applicable to numerous search fields.

In the same vein, training other insects, most likely, would work equally as well.

Take for instance the use of snails, although much slower, they would be more easily controlled. The downsides are snail bait, big feet, and frenchmen.

Why is it that some serious discussions suddenly diverge into lunacy?

Z

ZumbroKid

Is this related to smelling moth balls? Any of you folks ever smell moth balls?

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Lunacy???? I am so offended ;)...at least I gave the sane and correct website for the wasps before I went over the edge....then again some of the greatest minds in history were called lunatics.....

Pete ? Stefan?? Ante up on your moth ball theory! Pictures,graphics and a five page report by noon boys !
Jon and Someguy...you both stay away from those boys or you will end up just like them!

Stefan...your snail theory has promise...I can easily control a snail...it wont sting me and I am sure I can keep up in the woods. Please apply for a grant to further your research project and let us know how it goes.

S

stefen

Yes, you should be commended for your provision of the correct web site, and yes, when a topic is on the cusp, lunacy (and warped minds) come to the surface.

Perhaps it is because of a full moon as stated.

During my university years, I did fairly well in capturing a 3 year study grant for open-pit mining rehabilitation that basically paid for my education, however, animal behavior science is not my area of expertice.

I'll defer to others. I understand that rouge snails are not easily trainable.

There I go again...three seconds on a serious topic and I segway from reality.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GoldCoinHunter,

Remember mothers words; Nothing good happens after 2:00 AM. You must have seen this on really late night TV.

Ed

SomeGuy

Jun 26, 2005
ecdonovan said:
GoldCoinHunter,

Remember mothers words; Nothing good happens after 2:00 AM. You must have seen this on really late night TV.

Ed

Will leave the definition of "good" to others, but I've certainly had a great deal of "fun" after 2:00 AM.!

dano91

Apr 3, 2005
colorado
I could train wasp's to find gold. With wasp's it's a chemical thing, they release different types and amount's into the air for communication.
A dead wasp can still send an attack signal 24 hrs after it's dead.

Should be easy enough, if you raise a few generations of them the same way.

First kill the adult wasp's and save the nest with the young inside. [dont use bug spray] Then raise the young from the nest in a aquarium with gold things in it [rings watches gold coins etc.
Let them build a nest, and raise that generation of wasp's the same way.

Then take those wasp's and take them to a location where there is gold and release them, they should seek out gold as a homing beacon.

I think I'll try it!!! I'm thinking Mud Dauber wasp, it could build right onto the gold, and imprint it. If anyone has some idea's to pass on please do.
Dano.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions