Anybody Need An Inexpensive Table Sifter?

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
After running across areas that has too much metal around for a detector to be real effective and finding a few things that even a detector won't sound off on, I decided on building a sifter that was pretty inexpensive, can be carried with one hand, and easy to build.

You will need a cardtable, preferably one that has had one too many Texas Hold-em games played on it. It needs to be one that you can remove the top leaving the frame intact.
You will also need a roll of 1/2" cloth mesh. You can get either metal or plastic. Plastic should work well if you have a water supply to wash the dirt off.
Also needed are some plastic wire ties to hold the screen to the frame. The ones I got are rated for 75 lb. for extra strength.
Another thing that might be helpful are some short lengths of pipe insulation for handles on the sides.

Attachments

• shaker table 1 Resized.JPG
    shaker table 1 Resized.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 1,339
  • shaker table 2 Resized.JPG
    shaker table 2 Resized.JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 1,349
  • shaker costs 3.JPG
    shaker costs 3.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 1,299
OP
OP
stoney56

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
also

Attachments

• shaker 4 Resized.JPG
    shaker 4 Resized.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 1,353
  • shaker 5 Resized.JPG
    shaker 5 Resized.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 1,319
  • shaker 6 Resized.JPG
    shaker 6 Resized.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 1,344
OP
OP
stoney56

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Tnx, Judy. This idea just popped into my head as to how to build it. Another method I thought about used one hanging from a cooking tripod, but thought this one easier and a bit cheaper. Guess great minds think alike. ;)

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stoney i could kiss you if i was a girl :D this is what i been thinking of trying to buid for the londest time with legs that fold PERFECT!

OP
OP
stoney56

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
LOL deka, a handshake will work just fine thank you. There is just enough looseness in the legs that a minimum of shaking gets it moving. The next thing is probably giving it a coating of rustoluem. I haven't checked to see just how much dirt it will hold, but it should handle at least 3-4 shovelfuls.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Stoney,
nice, and the price is right. Should work.

Judy H,
would be smaller, like your idea if your hiking in
for any length of time. (Now where did I put that
folding TV tray ???

have a good un........

OP
OP
stoney56

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Judy, how is yours put together? Do you chop out the center and wrap the mesh or do you just drill holes in the top? I'm picturing on of the TV trays that are metal topped with the little plastic clips that wrap around the bend at the top of the legs.

OP
OP
stoney56

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Nice Judy. I can see how easy it is to make. Size wise, it's lightweight and easy to carry. If you use steel mesh, it might be harder to fold w/o forming a permanent crease in the mesh. Have you thought of the plastic mesh since it's also light. I looked at some at Lowe's and even tried to pull it apart to test the strength, pretty strong although it did stretch a bit. The aluminum legs are also rustproof unlike the steel legs on mine.

OP
OP
stoney56

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Judy, I think the plastic mesh was something like $4.99 for a 3'X5' roll that had 1/2" openings. The nice thing about these tables are they can be used as camp tables and if you spill your tea, soda, or whatever you don't have to wipe up the mess afterwards. The plastic is easier on your hands than steel but recommend gloves in any case.

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
For years I have been packing a 2x2 roll of 1/4 inch screen wire and cable ties. I attach it to the barrel hoops that lay all over the old townsites and farms. I use 1/4 mesh instead of 1/2 because I want to keep the 3 cent silvers and the one dollar gold pieces that would fall right through a half inch. Some childrens rings would fall through also. If you are worried about scratching your finds you can buy plastic coated mesh or dunk it yourself in that liquid rubber stuff they sell. Just lay it on a couple bricks and move it when you need to. exanimo, ss

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
also maybe 4 peices of pvc pipe to reinforce the legs they are a little shacky in my op.

OP
OP
stoney56

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Lowe's also has the plastic mesh in 1/2" size. I couldn't find the 1/4" but SS I was thinking the same thing about the gold dollar and 3 cent coins since they are the smallest and thus easy to lose and hard to find so might have to run the detector over the dirt underneath after getting the bigger chunks out of the way. I also have a classifier pan that came with my gold pan set that works pretty good as well.
Dekalb, you might check the socket the legs fit into, the wings may need to be pulled in a bit, also check the legs before you make the sifter. They make ones with wooden legs, aluminum legs and tubular steel. I think the tubular steel will hold up better but they're only as good as the method used to attach them to the table top.

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have a table sifter but I do have a sifter box . I use it in conjuction with a 5 gallon bucket. The sifter box is made from 2x4's with metal mesh. It sits on top the bucket. Once the sifter box is full I shake the loose dirt into the bucket. When I retrieve my target I dump the bucket back into the hole and on to the next target. I have been thinking about a table sifter, just haven't gotten around to it.

brokenarrow

Jan 20, 2009
San Antonio,Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome job Stoney, i saw one of these tables just yesterday sitting on a trash heap by the curb. guess where ill be tomorrow morning... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
thanks for the great idea

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an EXCELLENT idea, stoney! I have one of those old tables and its in rough shape so I'll be making a sifter this week! I might need smaller mesh or some kind of loose weave cloth to catch all the little beads and stuff on my site. Thanks for the idea :sign13: :icon_thumright:!
regards~~sandcreek4

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I finally made one last summer :icon_pirat:

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My dad built me a table, Stoney, and I did some sifting yesterday. It worked GREAT! Thank you so much for this idea! Here's some pics of the table and finds~~
regards~~sandcreek4

Attachments

• P1080478.JPG
    P1080478.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 509
  • P1080454.JPG
    P1080454.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 487
OP
OP
stoney56

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
You and EDDE are most welcome, glad I could help.
Your dad did an excellent job too! :icon_thumleft:
BTW, hand grenade pins for earrings? :icon_scratch: I knew Okla. had some rough territory...LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread