separating finds from sand

ringding

May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 505
It is hard finding things in sand, especially dimes. You can dig it out of the hole, scan the hole and realize it isnt there anymore, but when you scan the handful of sand in the pile it can be pretty hard to find the coin even in that small amount.

I had an idea for separating coins from sand and tried it out this last weekend. I bought a mesh bag full of oranges and I had one of those small crochet loops sitting around. I put the crochet loop around the opening of the mesh bag and clamped it down. It kinda looks like a butterfly net. The mesh was nylon and the openings were pretty large, but small enough to prevent a dime from falling through.

I tried it out yesterday at a playground that had fine white sand under the play equipment. The sand was damp from rain the day before. I got a signal and dug a hole and scooped the sand into the mesh bag. I scanned the hole and there was no longer a signal. I picked up the bag thinking that the sand would all fall out. When I picked it up though, it didn't fall through though. It stuck together and I had to shake it. I was totally surprised. I thought the mesh was large enough for even wet sand to fall through. I did get the quarter though. I have not been able to test this on dry sand yet. I predict that it will be more effortless with dry sand but you never know until you test it.

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would suggest a short-handled sand scoop.

OP
OP
R

ringding

May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 505
I tried my apparatus today and it worked great with dry sand. I found several clad coins.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
check out this site for a full selection of sandscoops some designed for wet sand some for dry. this guy runs a good honest buisiness. www.rtgstore.com

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Up your digging efficiency and get that screen scoop from www.rtgstore.com/ Get one with a long handle to save having to bend and a foot brace is worth it too. Stay away from any plastic junk scoops like seed scoops with holes drilled in them.

If you dig a plug in grass, set the plug on a square of cloth so you can put all the dirt back in the hole.

HH,

Sandman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread