Hip mount a EXCAL or not to hip mount...........

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not all people are careful handling hip mounted detectors. Instead of having to hold on to just a shaft, with a hip mounted unit you have the shaft, earphones, and control unit and sometimes things drop. Wires can become strained or twisted and flexed to often where they break inside.

Using a Excal with the control box on the shaft adds weight to searching on land and adds water resistance when mounted on the shaft where you are moving it back and forth on a beach. Course while diving you have to have it mounted on the short shaft with the wire wound not to tight. Since I wade and dive, I have one rigged just for diving and the other I hang around my neck for wading. This keeps the wire hanging down and it is free to move some so as to not be strained.

If you prefer to keep your Excal mounted on the shaft, there are other shafts you can purchase that make this easier to use.

HH,
sandman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions