Cheap, reliable aerial photography?

Y

yutzey

I'm fairly new here, so please be gentle ;)

How many times have you wished you could have a recent aerial photograph of the area you're exploring? I just learned that my digital camera (HP PhotoSmart 618) has a time lapse function. It can take pictures as frequently as once ever 15 seconds. I got to thinking I could attach it to the end of a telescoping rod, like the kind they use for a pool or to change light bulbs on tall ceilings. Maybe even a weather balloon. ??? Something to get it high enough to peer over the surrounding trees and buildings. Hoist it up and hold it up there to take a couple shots, then download them to the laptop. Then review for potential hot spots. I haven't tried it yet, but don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. Has this been discussed before? Has anyone tried anything like this? Thanks!

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never tried it, but I'm not gonna make fun of you for the idea - many of the most creative and ingenious of people are those who can "think outside of the box" so to speak.

Only thing I'd be worried about is the camera getting broken somehow.

If you try it, post your results - I'd be curious.

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
Sounds good to me. A recent photo could help. Google, World Wind and Terra Client are good in some areas. They all show a 40 acre field across the road from my house in 2004. The houses were built in 2002....Art

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
Y

yutzey

af1733 said:
Have you taken a look at Google Earth?

Yes, I use google earth quite frequently. I figure this way I could get a closer, more recent look.

Cool idea about the airplanes / blimps!

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Actually you can buy a rocket that has a built in camera. After it ejects the parachute it starts the camera function, and it takes a bunch of pictures on a time lapse of like every 2 seconds or something.
Should still be able to pick them up from Wal Mart for like $20 or $30.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
A good Duck,long twine and duct tape might be cheaper ...duct tape camera to duck....tie twine around its leg ....send it up...say cheese! :)

I know ....Rule 2# :D :D

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Yep, thats just great Gypsy >:( I just lost my camera, my dinner and a perfectly good spool of twine trying that! For anyone else: remember to tie the other end of the twine to something! :D But seriously, Yutzey, I'd say give it a shot!

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
nhbenz said:
Yep, thats just great Gypsy >:( I just lost my camera, my dinner and a perfectly good spool of twine trying that! For anyone else: remember to tie the other end of the twine to something! :D But seriously, Yutzey, I'd say give it a shot!

ROFLMAO!!! :D :D :D

StogieJim

Feb 26, 2007
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Exp 2, Tejon, & Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check with the local government offices. They might have aerial photography you could look at and some of it might not be recent.

eagle77

Jan 23, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, 3300, XTerra 70
Many Dept of Natural Resources agencies at the state level have online aerial
pictures. Another source is state wildlife/park management websites/agencies.

The federal Dept of Natural Resources has a website to view aerial photos
http://nmviewogc.cr.usgs.gov/viewer.htm

99thpercentile

Nov 2, 2006
Evergreen, CO
Detector(s) used
Geonics EM61-MK2, Geophex GEM-3, GapEOD UltraTEM III, Minelabs F3, Foerster MINEX 2FD 4.500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have two suggestions. The first is to find out who your county GIS supervisor is and then go talk to him. Most counties now have this position and are putting all of their tax data into a GIS database. My county flew arial photography over the entire county at six inch resolution. You may have to go talk to you local county board of supervisors to request this data. The second suggestion was mentioned in an earlier reply. Buy a remote controlled airplane. One of my co-workers bought several identical remote controlled airplanes and several identical digital cameras. He sets the camera up to take pictures at a regular interval and then flies the plane over the entire site of interest. Then he makes a photo montaj of all of the pictures. They look pretty good, now they won't be rectified so you can't use them in a GIS program but you can have a nice high resolution photo.

Arakronn

Oct 13, 2005
De Pere/Green Bay Wisconsin
Actually you can buy a rocket that has a built in camera. After it ejects the parachute it starts the camera function, and it takes a bunch of pictures on a time lapse of like every 2 seconds or something.
Should still be able to pick them up from Wal Mart for like $20 or $30.
If you want to spend a little more....get a wireless video camera (pinhole spy camera). You can buy model rockets that have payloads specifically for cameras. Hook the camera reciever up to a tv/vcr combo (ok...need a power source) and record during lift off. That way, you're assured of getting your area, and not the 40 acres downwind. The cameras have a pretty good range....up to 1000 ft. line-of-site. I had one mounted to an RC truck and drove it all over the yard....while I sat in the livingroom in front of the TV.

Functional

Feb 16, 2007
Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada
Detector(s) used
A Compass Magnum 420 recently brought back to life. And an untested "in the wild" Teknetics.
yutzey said:
I'm fairly new here, so please be gentle ;)

How many times have you wished you could have a recent aerial photograph of the area you're exploring? I just learned that my digital camera (HP PhotoSmart 618) has a time lapse function. It can take pictures as frequently as once ever 15 seconds. I got to thinking I could attach it to the end of a telescoping rod, like the kind they use for a pool or to change light bulbs on tall ceilings. Maybe even a weather balloon. ??? Something to get it high enough to peer over the surrounding trees and buildings. Hoist it up and hold it up there to take a couple shots, then download them to the laptop. Then review for potential hot spots.

If your looking for "hot spots" literally, then consider infrared. I posted several links on DIY (do it yourself) camera conversions in another thread, (see link below).

I haven't tried it yet, but don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. Has this been discussed before? Has anyone tried anything like this? Thanks!

I was thinking of doing the RC plane thing like others have suggested, using a modified infrared camera. I have to wait until the weather warms up before I take the trip to my destination spot and I actually consider doing any digging.

F.
Link: http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,68167.0.html

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have a small airport that offers rides for several dollars, if you took along a camera you could get all kinds of pictures in a 30 minute ride. m2cw

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You couldn't get the camera up by hand in 15 seconds with a pole long enough to be worthwhile. (That, and you couldn't lift a pole strong enough to support the camera and it's own weight that is over 40 feet or so).

How about the Estes rocket-launched camera? They now have a small digital model that will get you to 1,000 feet or so. Problem with rockets and R/C airplanes is you need a clear spot to lend them. I have a HP 618 (and fly R/C) and you're going to need 400 ft of runway to lift it unless you go big $$$ and long learnng to get into helicopters.

Here's one for $15.19 that uses 110 film (24 exposures/roll)

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHFJ2&P=0

$30 for the launcher and rocket

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXFKS3&P=SM

This one takes video from 150 to 1,350 ft - $137.

http://www.apogeerockets.com/Estes_Oracle_Video_Rocket.asp

Estes_Oracle.jpg

Oracle_plug-in.jpg

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
I had an old gas powered model airplane that we put a digital camera in. with the 1Gb memory card it toik several minutes of footage. we flew it around my parent's house to get some arial shots... Worked great until the third run... when we crashed it into a tree.

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
little off subject here but, I use to be able to get into maps and zoom close enough to tell the make of cars in parking lots. Now the closest I can zoom is making out roof tops or maybe spots in the parking lot. Someone was telling me since 9/11 the up close zooms are no more. Is this true or is there a site that has great zoom?(even if it requires you to pay)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread