Apr 26, 2005

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Have your tried using some good quality 35mm infrared film? If you have a thermal mass that has the ability to absorb heat during the day then at night when the earth cools, that area will still be emitting heat that infrared film should be able to capture.
If you buy that film, load it in a completely darken closet as it is very light sensitive.
Try black & white first as its cheaper in cost than color.

Harry

Marc

Silver Member
Mar 19, 2003
Northern Hemisphere
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Um, infrared film doesn't "detect heat".

It is sensitive to wavelengths up to 900 nanometers... far shorter than the range of heat. It would require a refrigerated (or constant temperaure) camera to detect heat.

However... infrared film can be quite useful in locating burial sites and other cultural features. ;)

Marc

Silpe

Jan 4, 2005
> Marc,
>
> I saw your post for thermal imaging cameras. I have access to two
> different types of TIC. I did not know they could be used for treasure
> hunting. How are they used?
>
> If you are near me I would be happy to help out.
>
> I am mostly into under water archeology and Thing. I worked 2 years
> for Mel Fisher after college and now just hunt on my own at far less
> valuable sites. I have a good detector (amphibious) and a side scan
> sonar to tow behind my boat.
>
> Please let me know how the TIC is used and where you are located.
>
> Regards,
> Greg Silpe
> Simsbury, CT
> Cell# 860 805-1698

Silpe

Jan 4, 2005
Thermal Imaging Camera
Sensors use variations in heat signatures to create an image
US$5000.00 - US$50,000.00
I use it firefighting and did not realize there was any value for hunting.

Silpe

edsedoriosa

Aug 11, 2006
will a TIC detect heat from a buried treasure 30 to 90 feet of atleast three baby drums full of gold bars?...... im just asking because here in our place in the southeastern part of the globe, locals and foriegners are into a gold digging frenzy. it was said in the 1940's japanese emperial troops were already loosing their battle so they have to hide their loots, which includes the treasures of the Kings Solomons Mine, aside from the treasures of the nations they have conquered here in the east. it was said, that our place was the hiding place of all the treasures they have gathered. our place is about 300,000 acres and was said that the treasures were buried in 500,000 differrent holes. and atleast 3 baby drums inside each hole. well, i felt that the rumors were realistic because when i was just 11 years old a known local judge came to our farm with a japanese companion and was asking if my dad was in the farm. however, my dad wasnt around and just left a message to me and my 30 year old cousin that they are willing to buy our 10 acre farm for about $500,000 in which the offer was far too big because the zonal value of our farm was just $2000. im now looking forward to initially investigate our farm. the first thing i have done was viewing our place from the satellite map. it really awed me so much. when one will look into the actual color of our soil, its just plain black but the satellite shot reveals orange to red colors all over the place. the next thing i wanted to do is to have a cheap infrared shot all over our farm. im just wondering if the digital cameras will be able to detect heat of deeply buried treasures, 30 - 90 ft.

Kodiak

Tenderfoot
Apr 10, 2006
I have used them in the fire dept but those ones are not the best for long range. I am also a Search and Rescue member and we have a really good one. We use it for searching for people of course but you can use it for other things also. You can easily see what houses have pot grow ops because they literally glow with all the heat. Not to gross you all out but one fall morning we found a missing person who had been dead for a couple of days. We spotted the body by seeing a cloud of flies buzzing around through the camera at 50+ yards. We told the manufacture about that and even they were surprised. I cannot remember what brand it is or the model. I haven't used it for quite some time. It looks like a video camera and cost about 20 grand I think. Oh ya it will also look right through nylon or polyester clothing like it wasn't there. lol. The one we have works best when it is cool out. In the summer evenings where I live it is still very warm and this makes it very hard to see much because the ground, trees, etc radiate so much heat. Good luck with your search.

Cheers,

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread