Who uses a harness and how do you like it?

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Now that I have an EXP II with a sunray probe I have really noticed the weight. After a few hours my hand starts going numb. I tried making a homemade harness. Works but I hate unclipping it everytime I get a target then reattaching it and untangling the cords. Anyone use the SwingyThingy? Anyone else feel the bother of unclipping/reclipping the harness is not worth it?

Bob

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, Im using a Whites Beach Hunter ID with a harness that fits over my shoulder. For me it works good and I do not have to disconnect to dig. Not sure of the configuration of yours, and note I am a newbie, but mine helps me.

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just ordered one...I'll let you know. A DFX with the DX-1 and a large coil can get pretty heavy after a while.

HH!
TBGO

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I assume you are talking about conversion to a body mount detector. I use a Fisher CZ6 with 10" coil. I got a bad case of "detector elbow" with it. so I converted the unit it to a body mount. The detector box slips over your head and then a strap goes around your back. It can be adjusted to fit tightly or loosely to the chest and allows ample freedom of movement. All you have to do to remove it is undo one clip.
I still prefer not to use a body mount, but I wouldn't be able to swing the thing all day without it.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the "Swingy Thingy" works great for me. I don't even need to disconnect to dig.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What Jeff said. I like the Swingy Thingy, too. The difference is like night and day. I don,t use it all the time but if I hunt for more than an hour I do.I also dig without unclipping. ;)

Ed Donovan

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I made my own harness out of a webbing from an Army Navy store. Used Velcro for the small coil loop and same for the larger body loop. It cost about $6.00 to make. Saves a lot of weight from the arm when using a larger coil or after a few hours swinging. I can detect land longer now.

HH,
Sandman

phantomx6

Greenie
Feb 16, 2006
Kansas City, Kansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, Garrett GTA 500, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Tesoro Vaquero, Fisher CZ3D, Minelab Explorer SE, White DFX
I have a torn rotator cuff, and handling the Garrett 2500 causes me some discomfort. I've started using the "swingy thing," and once you get used to it, it's great. The main thing, for me, is that it allows me to extend my hunting time. And I don't unclip it to dig, either.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got mine here at Doc,s. http://www.kamakazi.com/

Just scroll down the page. I was really pleased with the way the harness made my swing smoother and level. I only need a little effort. Also when I get up after digging it brings my detector up so I don,t have to unhook/hook all the time.

Ed Donovan

D

dfx_maui

I just got a hipmount kit for my DFX the other day. I've not yet field tested it but I have a feeling I'll like it. The control box and display arm is now on a belt. When I put it on (around my waist) it felt good. You could also carry it across the chest. It really helped lighten the load on my swinging arm.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread