BIG CONTEST!

bigticket

Nov 9, 2005
I recently started a thread here about a woman who tried metal detecting in order to write an article for her "human guinea pig" series, in which she tries different things in order to let everyone know what those things are really like. She had a very negative experience, and did not find much of anything until she tried hunting for treasure WITHOUT a metal detector.
Suffice it to say that the thread rapidly degenerated into a flame war, due in part to my being misunderstood regrding a number of things. I tried to point out that if most metal detectorists tried hunting for treasure for a FULL DAY, using EVERY MEANS THEY COULD THINK OF, with a SUFFICIENT AMOUNT OF PLANNING BEFOREHAND, they would find more "neat stuff" than they would by simply metal detecting.
Therefore, I have decided to hold a BIG CONTEST along these lines. Anyone who wants to enter should just do what is suggested above, at any time before the end of summer. I am not offering any prizes, but hopefully everyone will have fun. Use your head, try everything you can think of, and get out there and find some treasure! The only rules are:
1. No metal detectors (but every other kind of tool or instrument (electronic or not) is okay).
2. Nothing which you pay even one cent for.
3. Nothing anyone gives you.
4. No geocaching.
5. Contests only count if you physically go out and find the stuff.
6. Do not do anything illegal!
7. You can go on any ONE day for the rest of summer 2006.
8. Post your finds in this thread (preferably with pictures and methods of finding everything).

The purpose of this contest is to show everyone the truth for once and for all. Good luck!

ericwt

Feb 8, 2004
I admit in the beginning I did not understand what bigticket was saying.

But I do think he has a great idea. As treasure hunters it is important to challenge ourselves and find new ways of doing things.

I hope other people will join in on this contest.

ericwt

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
moved because of this Sentence

No metal detectors (but every other kind of tool or instrument (electronic or not) is okay).

A true Treasure hunter Considers Everything & keeps their Eyes open & mind working Always.

coolcash2004

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
SILENCE IS GOLDEN. DUCT TAPE IS SILVER.

Anyways, i actually participate in this contest everyday without realizing it. One vacation while at the airport i found about $1.50 in clad on the ground with my eyes. Enough to by a silver dime.

-CC

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
I do the same thing every day, so I guess it doesn't count. I do find much more monetarily by other means than I do with my detector. I invest in stocks, I buy rolls of halves, I buy and sell silver, I pan dredge, etc. for gold. I attend auctions. I even look for loose change on the ground, LOL! But that doesn't mean I'll give up detecting. I have found TOO much neat stuff that I couldn't find by other means necessarily.

BTW- whats the prize structure for this big contest? I see none listed....

OP
OP
bigticket

bigticket

Nov 9, 2005
Jeffro said:
I do the same thing every day, so I guess it doesn't count. I do find much more monetarily by other means than I do with my detector. I invest in stocks, I buy rolls of halves, I buy and sell silver, I pan dredge, etc. for gold. I attend auctions. I even look for loose change on the ground, LOL! But that doesn't mean I'll give up detecting. I have found TOO much neat stuff that I couldn't find by other means necessarily.

BTW- whats the prize structure for this big contest? I see none listed....
Investing in stocks, buying coin rolls, buying precious metals, and buying stuff at auctions do not count for the contest. See rule 2. You have to FIND the stuff.
I am not trying to get anyone to stop using a metal detector. I am just showing them that there are other ways to find treasure.
As for prizes, read the last paragraph before the rules.

dg39

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2006
Deep in the swamps of Louisiana..
Detector(s) used
Ace 250--White's 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Run a museum as I do and the treasure comes to you. (I do understand that is a unfair advantage.)
But it's part of the treasure hunting process.
DG

lordmarcovan

Jan 3, 2006
Golden Isles Of Georgia
Detector(s) used
Many models over the years, mostly Garretts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
;D

viewfile.cfm

viewfile.cfm

viewfile.cfm

Actually found before the summer of 2006, so these entries don't count, but nothing but plain old eyesight was used in findin' 'em.

OP
OP
bigticket

bigticket

Nov 9, 2005
Okay. Jeff win his golf balls and fishing rod handle. Whatever.

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Just to make you smile, it's too late and was too long ago to count.
One night the wife wanted me to go fill up her car. Janurary @ 11:30 P.M.
Pulled up to the pump with no one else at the store except the inside clerk.
Got out, looked down and saw a folded up ten dollar bill. Picked it up and put it in my pocket.
When I got home, I pulled it out and unfolded it. I was wrong, it wasn't a ten, it was a fifty!
The wife wanted to know if she would get a share of it as she sent me up there.
Nope, wrong, no way!<G>
That is the best I have found just using my eyes.

OP
OP
bigticket

bigticket

Nov 9, 2005
Very good, but the point of the contest was to TRY to find stuff without a metal detector. Finding stuff by chance is nice, but not the same thing.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigticket said:
Very good, but the point of the contest was to TRY to find stuff without a metal detector. Finding stuff by chance is nice, but not the same thing.

AAH, but, when your into metal detecting you become a Treasure Hunter.

Which means your eyes are always on the lookout sometimes without
even realizing it.

so in our cases I think it's a little more then "Chance" ;)

as detectorists that other thread about picking up pennies, prooves,
we're more likely to bend over or squat down to pick up things off the ground. which also shows we're always looking.

P.S.
Bigticket ; What's my Prize ?

My name mentioned on Reply Number (Lucky) #13 ?

Let me just say COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL ! ;D

JEFF

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
bigticket said:
bigticket said:
I am not offering any prizes, but hopefully everyone will have fun.

LoL

Jeff pretty well nails it though. I certainly have kept my eyes to the ground much more since I started detecting. And all of a sudden that old broken down house just put a glint in my eye.

Postalrevnant

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions