woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
Thermal imaging equipment is expensive. How effective it is for the purposes you describe depends on the conditions and on your skill.

Regarding OKW, beware flimflammery and outright fraud. There are plenty of respectable manufacturers in the underground detection and thermal imaging industries.

--Dave J.

OP
OP
starsplitter

starsplitter

Jan 20, 2007
Dave,

Thanks for the reply.

I am aware that conditions and skill are factors with thermal imaging. I'm trying to connect with someone who has actually used it as a tool in the field. So far, I just have bits and pieces of "real life" feedback. As for OKW... I am not going to pursue that avenue. Cost is a factor, but mostly just too much bad press.

I found a Raytheon unit (used/recondition 250) that was recommended by a Tom Sever (same NASA guy who used thermal and SAR in the Yucatan), for $2,500 - $3,000. It also had a mini trial in Peru by an amateur. However, there wasn't enough data provided to make an informed decision.

Again, thanks.

Mark

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am going on a lost mine search for 9 days in the San Juan/Laplata mountains in August. One of the areas I want to search supposedly has a mine portal covered with logs, dirt, and rocks to conceal it. While surveying the area with google earth, it also occurred to me that a covered mine portal might show up at a different wavelength than the surrounding ground on a thermal imaging camera. I have no experience with this technology, and wanted to run it by this forum and see if anyone here has some info on this. Has anyone here ever attempted to use thermal imaging equipment to try to locate a subsurface feature? If the sun warmed a canyon side, and then night fell, it seems logical that an open space hidden underground on that canyon side would have absorbed less heat. Seems like you should be able to image that area of lower temperature on a thermal imaging camera. It sounds good, but does it work in the field?

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did some checking, and unless those guys in the article have access to additional data, the resolution of the NASA Landsat7 satellite thermal scans is at 30 and 60 meters per pixel. Kinda hard to detect a mine portal that is at most a couple of meters wide with that low resolution.

http://www.landcover.org/data/landsat/

Last edited:

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I don't have to tell you NASA can do better than that. GeoEye-1 claims 1.6 feet, which I don't doubt.

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I don't have to tell you NASA can do better than that. GeoEye-1 claims 1.6 feet, which I don't doubt.

But what wavelength is that in? Is it visible light spectrum, or thermal spectrum?

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know much about thermal, but their LIDAR data (radar band) resolution is spectacular. Resolution is ultimately a function of wavelength, unless otherwise degraded by sampling intervals.

There's an old story about an engineering college getting early data back in the 80's to study wave heights in the ocean, and in the process discovered wave structures that proved to be submarine wakes, not even thought of by the US Navy at that point.

Here's a link to a Navy document that is interesting:
https://torpedo.nrl.navy.mil/tu/ps/pdf/pdf_loader?dsn=2950041

Can't paste the text from it, sorry.

thermal

Jun 23, 2013
Detector(s) used
garrett...
Primary Interest:
Other
Thermographic Infrared Multispectral Scanner (TIMS)

Originally designed for geological research, TIMS picks up visible, infrared, microwave, and thermal data in a single shot and allows archeologists to examine potential sites in spectral bands best suited to their particular needs. TIMS units mounted onto satellites and aircraft and can detect and image patterns of disturbed soil at high resolution up to 30 feet below ground. This remote-sensing tool is particularly useful for showing buried geologic features, such as ancient river beds, along which people may have settled.

NOVA | Lost Roman Treasure | Remote Excavation | PBS

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thermographic Infrared Multispectral Scanner (TIMS)

Originally designed for geological research, TIMS picks up visible, infrared, microwave, and thermal data in a single shot and allows archeologists to examine potential sites in spectral bands best suited to their particular needs. TIMS units mounted onto satellites and aircraft and can detect and image patterns of disturbed soil at high resolution up to 30 feet below ground. This remote-sensing tool is particularly useful for showing buried geologic features, such as ancient river beds, along which people may have settled.

NOVA | Lost Roman Treasure | Remote Excavation | PBS
Not much at that link, and not much online about this technology either. I will try to find out more.

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From that link:

"Ground equivalent resolution is 18 m (59 ft)." So this technology has very low resolution.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread