News papers

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here are some things to consider in regards to newspapers. 1. Dont limit yourself to the library. Check the area historical society and universities for data basis. Often Universities have extensive free (downloadable) data bases because they have the funding to digitalize the information this goes for maps too). 2. Use a mindset of 'pre-war/post-war in your searching. Lifestyle vastly changed after WWII. You can also apply the same logic to WWI. Think about entertainment, where people went and did before there was TV and before radio and movies. 3. Newspapers documented all events small and large of their times. Usually there where more than one newspaper and, usually some or most dont exist anymore. It would be wise to find out what were the publications during the history of your area. Newspapers werent the only publications that documented local events. 4. In the agricultural society of the 1800's spring and fall where busy time with planting and harvesting, but summer when everything was growing it was time to play. Horse racing was big along with other competition 'fairs' where privately promoted all across the county. These where not the traditional 'county fairs' held after harvest. I'd be willing to bet you have several in your area for years from the mid 1800's through the late 'teens when they faded out. Finding those locations have been very fruitful for me. Remember too that the location of the fairgrounds in your local area often as not is not the same as in the 1800's. What was than the edge of town is now well inside the city limits. I hope this little bit of information is of use to you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bmelvin20

bmelvin20

Mar 11, 2013
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Did some things you pointed out like the local universities online. Found some good info in some old books. Thanks for the pointers.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
don't forget to glance over the Lost & found sections of those old News Papers.

Sooner or later one may pop out that gives you a great lead on a Diamond ring or
Better.

the Obits in Extra old News papers may be of interest also.
Reporters wern't afraid to state the truth about deaths
or the person who died back then.

Last edited:

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try going to a Barbershop and talk with some of the "old folks" there,I've gotten some good leads from the old timmers,and even got to hunt a homesite before it got knocked down for a parking lot.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions