Black Light Sources

OP
OP
starsplitter

starsplitter

Jan 20, 2007
Ed & Mike,

Thanks. I went to the website - the lights are surprisingly inexpensive (especially compared to what can be found at the mall).

Mark

99thpercentile

Nov 2, 2006
Evergreen, CO
Detector(s) used
Geonics EM61-MK2, Geophex GEM-3, GapEOD UltraTEM III, Minelabs F3, Foerster MINEX 2FD 4.500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an Inova X5 from Emmissive Energy, which is 395 nm. I have been pretty pleased with it. It costs about $40 and it is very bright. I have two units, one that has white LEDs and one with the UV LEDs. I have used them all over the world and think that they are a very good value. They use lithium 123 batteries, which are about $4 each at wal-mart or $16 for 12 if you by them direct from Surefire.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try calling a electrical supply house. I walked in and bought a long wave bulb and a short wave that plugged into an old camp lantern I was given. Put some aluminum duct tape on half the lens and you got a nice black light that you can switch from long to short. I think if I had bought the lantern it would've cost about $22.00. By the way if you're in the desert don't pick up the green gardenhose!! If you do hope you got the right end :o My friend didn't know rattlers florese green ???

BlackKnight

Feb 7, 2008
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur
LED Black Light
Perfect for:
  • Find urine stains (i.e. at the hotel before you hop in bed!)

Now THAT was what I was looking for. No longer need to sleep in the bathtub ;D

stringfrenzy

Jun 8, 2006
NW OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus CTX Excalibur II E-Trac White's DFX Garrett Ultra GTAx 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BlackKnight said:
LED Black Light
Perfect for:
  • Find urine stains (i.e. at the hotel before you hop in bed!)

Now THAT was what I was looking for. No longer need to sleep in the bathtub ;D

I know what you mean. ;D

stringfrenzy

Jun 8, 2006
NW OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus CTX Excalibur II E-Trac White's DFX Garrett Ultra GTAx 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
boogeyman said:
DO NOT BLACKLIGHT A MOTEL ROOM!!you'll never get a decent nights sleep again

Good point.

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone ever use a blacklight for hunting mushrooms? Just a thought, since I dont have a blacklight to try it.

normalizer

Sep 3, 2012
Nashville, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350, Garrett AT PRO, and Garrett Pro Pointer. Hope to one day be good enough to justify buying a Whites V3Xi.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've got a streamlight blacklight flashlight I got off amazon, it's pretty cool. Can't remember why I bought it to be honest, but it's fun to play with occasionally.

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boogyeman, you said that rattlers can be found with a black light, what about other snakes? I still havent got my black light yet, except for a silly key chain light, but have seen a few snakes around here, more than usual, so would like to check them out during the night, they hide pretty good during the day. The only thing I have found are scorpions, with the black light. I dont have a lot of emeralds in my yard, so that would also be interesting to check out, up country.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try googling black lights & see what happens.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Just remember to use UV safety glasses while using a short wave blacklight! Those things will fry your eyeballs! Long sleeves are also a good idea to prevent skin cancer. After all.... They're pretty much "portable tanning beds" ;)

Blacklights are very handy for prospecting of all types. There are a lot of minerals that are often found with gold that fluoresce. Some materials will glow different colors under different wavelengths of UV. It might be green under shortwave but it will glow red under longwave! Having a unit that will output both wavelengths is almost a must for the serious prospector. Even more so in the desert.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread