Using rattlesnakes to locate lodes, caches, and treasure.

elgatodelnoche

Aug 21, 2013
East Mesa, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Deepseeker ADS
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This is just theoretical for now, however as my health improves I intend to take to the field and try to prove it out. I started to think about this when I was prospecting in the Picketpost Mountain area about 2000. I noticed that some areas held no snakes, some areas held some snakes, and other areas had snakes that would fill the air like a reptile orchestra. When one went off, the whole valley would start vibrating.

So here is my theory. Seeing that rattlesnakes are pit vipers and sense and are attracted to heat and that gold sinks the heat during the day and radiates it at night, then it seems natural to conclude that rattlesnakes would den up on lodes, chaches, veins, and treasure burials.

So I have decided to run toward snakes instead of away from them when I am hunting for gold.:thumbsup:

rattlesnake.jpg
Rattlesnake a pit viper.

wild coral snake.jpg
Long Nosed Snake not a pit viper.

Last edited:

wvwildman

Silver Member
Jan 3, 2013
fayette county wv
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, 5X8 DD, white's coin master pro, 4X6 DD, garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
tell us how it goes if you live through it better wear stove pipes lol

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
interesting.....I've read about bats helping to locate underground cavities, why not snakes?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
interesting Theory ! I suppose it's worth a thought when out in the Field.

When I read the title I wondered if you were going to send them into
cracks with Mini Cameras on their heads :laughing7:

OP
OP
elgatodelnoche

elgatodelnoche

Aug 21, 2013
East Mesa, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Deepseeker ADS
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the replies everybody, and no Moonrover I am not recovering from a snake bite. I am recovering from chronic fatigue and obesity.

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, Compass Gold Scanner, Maxi Pulse, Gardner with a 3 foot loop, PDF1000, & Dowsing rods,
There is also the belief that Spanish miners put rattlesnakes in treasure vaults to protect their gold while they were away.
In that case, they may be worth investigating. To get the rattlesnakes out, throw in some gasoline and the fumes will make
many of them slither out.
NEITHER OF THESE SUGGESTIONS IN GUARANTEED, TAKE YOUR OWN RISKS, DON'T BLAME ME.
Good luck,
Rich

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh, so yet another LRL... A (L)ong (R)attling (L)ocator. It will probably work just as well. Probably better! :laughing7: Good luck!

Last edited:

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
When I lived in a gold bearing State I found gold numerous times in ground hog mounds

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good idea, certainly worth checking out........like the gas (or diesel), snake removal system......a shotgun would also be of use to terminate any snake problems..............

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good idea, certainly worth checking out........like the gas (or diesel), snake removal system......a shotgun would also be of use to terminate any snake problems..............

That sounds like too much fun!

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah let me know how that works out for ya!........HH

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Snakes, bee's, and other nastys could be used to keep folks out of a area or hole. just not for the reason you described.

OP
OP
elgatodelnoche

elgatodelnoche

Aug 21, 2013
East Mesa, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Deepseeker ADS
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Snakes were kind of scarce around me this year. Here is hoping that the next year is filled with snakes for me.

Thommy

Mar 12, 2012
Northern Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Nautilus MF, Fisher 1266, Heathkit
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is not a Coral Snake. At least, it's not a North American Coral Snake, maybe Honduran? We have craploads of Coral Snakes in Florida, I've seen many. I'm sorry to chime in negatively, but I doubt a reptile would be attracted to gold, maybe the road on a cool evening, to soak up the heat from the asphalt, but a coin or nugget? I doubt it. As for Spanish leaving snakes, it's possible, but they would be long dead, and if they can't get out of the hole, so to speak, how do they eat, drink, reproduce? Snakes do winter together sometimes in warmer grottoes and caves, and huddle up together, but the location has to do with ambient temperature. It would take a whole lotta gold to radiate heat soaked up from the sun enough to attract reptiles. But here's one for ya: Why is it that in Virginia, I can find a crawfish hole o in the side of a stream, and if I dig it out, fairly often there was a minie ball bullet in the hole?? I can not figure out what attracts them. The hole the bullet created originally, and generations of crawfish use the same hole? Attraction to lead?? Weirder things have been reported. Let us know if the gold/reptile thing pans out.

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, Compass Gold Scanner, Maxi Pulse, Gardner with a 3 foot loop, PDF1000, & Dowsing rods,
I am certainly glad for all the responses, this is what the forum is about, helps us all learn or be amused.
Rich

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
To Smokey,
Snakes, they taste like chicken.
Rich

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread