Minelab Excalibur II, (New user), search along shoreline and shifting ground balance

ph036011

Tenderfoot
Nov 15, 2013
Honolulu, Hawaii
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II, Fisher CZ21
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hello :hello: am a new owner of minelab excalibur 2, and new user to this machine.
I would like some help with recommended settings along inclined shoreline and varying ground conditions.
Settings
Disc 0, Sens 6 or 5, Threshold slight hum, Volume 2/3
I love to hunt within 3 feet of shoreline, on about a 2 foot fast sloping drop from shoreline to the first depression in sand, the first ditch I call it. I taking the coil from 2 1/2 feet of water depth to water surface / and out of water / back down the slope to 2 1/2 feet of water depth, Anyway have had lots of luck hunting in the shoreline wall / sloping sand area with my fisher CZ21 and want to hunt the same area with my new excalibur.
Problem is excalibur is auto adjusting (ground balance?) as I move the coil up and down on the 2 foot drop of sloping sand wall. The auto adjusting is making some noise which could mask targets.
Is there a way to prevent this? ?????? Or a better suggested setting?
the sand is pretty clean but might have some rocks and varying thickness / density, plus the water depth.
I experimented in Pinpoint and it seemed to quiet down, no more shifting.
In PP mode, Sens 6 or 5, Threshold slight hum, Volume 2/3
But in Disc 0 setting the ground balance is constantly trying to compensate / self adjust.
Did I answer my own question, best to be in pinpoint in this sloping area? 2.5 feet water to surface back to 2.5 feet of water
Thanks for any advise. :hello::hello:
r/Alan in Honolulu, Hawaii 808 744 4238
Have also noticed in some flat sand areas the same thing with shifting ground balance / self adjusting. Is there a way to lock it so it doesn't shift around on you? besides going to PP mode? :BangHead::BangHead:
On other areas of flat sand it is stable (not shifting ground balance), all ground balance shifting is attributed to varying sub surface sand ground depths / soils / levels of sand / rocks, correct? ??????

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread