Black Lights

Follows Camp Craig

Dec 1, 2013
Raleigh, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Team Keene Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone who has ever visited the museum of natural history (any town usa)
probably remembers that mineral section with the black light portion of the display.
Different minerals would fluoresce different colors.

Anybody ever use this technique?

I learned how this works my mistake.
I was working as N.D.T. technician and was in the field performing a fluorescent dye penetrant test on a heat exchanger.
The black light we were using was obviously industrial quality and utilized its own filtering lens and transformer which tucked away nicely in its carrying case.

While looking for what should be now glowing cracks if there were any, and there was. I noticed that several of the diamonds in my wedding band were now fluorescing,
2 orange and 1 blue while the rest appeared a colorless black.

Come to find out, the higher quality diamonds were the colorless black while exposed to the black light.

Years later my step dad mentioned that there was tungsten ore in the east fork of the San Gabriel river that would fluoresce white and if
you could find the source it would be a new mother lode for someone, sadly I couldn't find an extension cord long enough.

Other than those psychedelic posters you had in your room as a teenager, what are your experiences with black lights?

Craig

Dec 5, 2013
Springfield, MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Knotts Berry Farm, Anaheim California, 1960s. There was a display in one of the buildings with a bunch of rocks, When you pressed a button a black light came on and the rocks fluoresced. Amazing to an 8 year old. They also had a honey bee hive you could look into. And I remember an Eiffel Tower made out of toothpicks.
Pretty campy place back then.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blacklights are a great tool for searching buildings. Patches in plaster (wall pendants) will show up under blacklight even under two or three layers of wallpaper. Lots quicker & saves hacking numerous holes in a wall while searching with a detector. Now days you can pick up or make a blacklight system cheap & they're light. WORD OF WARNING! a lot of you know I'm sure that scorpions fluoresce. But if you see what appears to be a piece of gardenhose under blacklight, it's a snake.

Check for my post on making a decent inexpensive long - short wave black light from a battery powered lantern & a couple of tubes.

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blacklights are a great tool for searching buildings. Patches in plaster (wall pendants) will show up under blacklight even under two or three layers of wallpaper. Lots quicker & saves hacking numerous holes in a wall while searching with a detector. Now days you can pick up or make a blacklight system cheap & they're light. WORD OF WARNING! a lot of you know I'm sure that scorpions fluoresce. But if you see what appears to be a piece of gardenhose under blacklight, it's a snake.

Check for my post on making a decent inexpensive long - short wave black light from a battery powered lantern & a couple of tubes.

Is the post on making the black light still around?? I searched, but no luck..Thanks

augoldminer

Jan 7, 2013
high desert goldfields
Detector(s) used
gold master V-sat
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there are two types of black lights. short wave blacklight blue shortwave is 254 nm and long wave blacklight light is 365 nm

tungsten ore in the east fork of the San Gabriel river that would fluoresce white

some tungsten ore will fluoresce a a blue white some yellow and some does not fluoresce

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread