Remember the bottle deposit days as a kid?

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
2 cents a bottle, and I dragged a gunny sack full (hopefully) behind me.

Holy smokes we must get getting old!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bottle deposits is how I got money for State Fair, comics etc....

How about crocker bags (burlap bags) I use to pick them up at construction sites and sell them to nursery's in the late 50s early 60's......

tomsright

Jul 2, 2013
NatureCoast Florida
Detector(s) used
A/T PRO, 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I lived by the local high school and they were all to cool to return them. We just walked the ditches and got our daily pay.

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
I am barely old enough to remember it. My older sister and her friends would walk the neighborhood roads for returnable bottles, and I would tag alone because she was in charge of watching me. You could get 5 cents deposit returned for certain bottles, that was in the mid 1960's. You could take that 5 cents and buy a full sized candy bar of your choice at the same store. I thought that was so cool, that in the late 1960's when I heard that you could get .50 cents or a dollar a piece for really old bottles that you could dig up out of the ground, that me and all the boys in the neighborhood became bottle diggers, and some of us collectors as well.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I remember picking up bottles in the mid 70s and early 80s in ditches and cleaning them out and getting a dime a piece for them. Making $3-$5 every few months like this was good money.

I took some cans in earlier this year and got $25 and I realized that aluminum prices have not gone up since I was a teenager. Lots of work for $25. It doesn't make it worth picking up cans any more and taking the time to bag (sometimes crush) and turn in. If their prices went up with inflation then it would be worth it still.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember picking up bottles in the mid 70s and early 80s in ditches and cleaning them out and getting a dime a piece for them. Making $3-$5 every few months like this was good money.

I took some cans in earlier this year and got $25 and I realized that aluminum prices have not gone up since I was a teenager. Lots of work for $25. It doesn't make it worth picking up cans any more and taking the time to bag (sometimes crush) and turn in. If their prices went up with inflation then it would be worth it still.

yea I don't do cans. I should but, too much time & travel for the
return these days. so I give them to my Neighbors .
the one has a tractor trailer he puts them in.
No idea how close to full he is.

Bottles, Not anymore. Not sure if there is retunable Bottles in PA any more.
first I remember to disappear was 7up returnables

& not even sure Yuengling beer comes in returnable cases either these days.

I think Fear of germs & law suits have cut down on re-using anything

Everything is thin Glass & your expected to give it away at recycling bins.

eventually they will charge you to let them take it away .
here they have already started doing away with some recycling bins.
because it is costing them $$ & they haven't decided how to pawn the cost off on us yet.
mass Littering is in our Future.

I think 10 cents was the High on Bottles here in the 60's

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Late 50s as a kid if I needed money that was how I got it, was no allowance then....

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same here. I used to get video arcade money in the early 1970s buy selling bottles. I never did cans though.

Mike

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Late 50s as a kid if I needed money that was how I got it, was no allowance then....

yea the only place I ever heard of allowances was the Brady Bunch I think :tongue3:
(yea more then likely some older show like "leave it to beaver" or "father thinks he knows best" or something,
if I was around back then LOL
)
I had good parents that, If I wanted something & they felt I would appreciate it,
they would get it for me.
but If I wanted to splurge on Nonsense it was at my cost. we had a tiny grocery store in town, for penny candy, ice cream & soda.

long gone, was the right half of this

DD006004.jpg

Last edited:

ponz

Oct 15, 2014
Kansas City, MO
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My brother and I would grab the soda bottles from the closet and cash them in for caps for our cap guns - late 50's early 60's

Ponz

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gathered many old bottles for returns, we got 5 to 10 cents, depending on size.
Picked up pecans in the public park to sell for fair money, too. Baseball bats and tarps, makes for easy gathering.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Im only 35 and remember in the 80s returning bottles to the circle K at the end of the road..parents called it my allowance..lugging those bottles down the damn road..lol

only good thing was they were hooked on Mt Dew...so I was making good money . It's weird to think about cause I was only 5 or 6 doing this and never had to worry about weirdo..I'm sure they were out there..but in my hood..everyone hung out outside all the time

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oh the fun of bottle picking along with cans on the good ole gravel roads of Missouri back in the 80's was a family event ... i forget how much we got but we did get treated to ice cream after the drop off a well earn treat

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oh the fun of bottle picking along with cans on the good ole gravel roads of Missouri back in the 80's was a family event ... i forget how much we got but we did get treated to ice cream after the drop off a well earn treat

these days I still see people along the roads but now they pick up cans.
not for deposit, there is no deposit on cans in pa.
but they do take them to the scrap yard for aluminum value

ecoast

Sep 12, 2013
The Highlands of NW NJ
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, V3i, DeepTech Vista SMART, ATP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went to the World Serves to see the Detroit Tigers back in the eighties...
That night there were so many thousands of people outside of the stadium drinking and carrying on the bums were having a field day. At the time the empties were worth 10 cents and you could throw them on the ground and they would all run toward them like pigeons...

Bullet:Mich.

Mar 20, 2003
Michigan USA
Some thing more fun then collecting bottles and cans to sell in the late 50 was catching crickets to sell to the live bait stores. We use to make cricket traps and check them every day, the dryer it was we caught more crickets. We received .01 for black crickets and .02 for red ones, we traded for treats and motor scooter gas bought from the same store. They will bite you some times.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread