Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone,

I recently came across this article and thought I'd share. You should all read it, it's very interesting.

Archaeologists are taking advantage of remote sensing, which is a geographic tool for photographing the landscape. Basically lasers are shot down from airplanes, reflect off the surface, and produce an image. By manipulating these images on computer software, features on the ground can be better identified.

In the context of archaeology, Lidar/Remote sensing is used to see ground features that are hidden beneath forest cover in normal aerial photographs. Things made of rock, like stone walls and stone foundations, will appear differently on the remotely sensed image when compared with trees and other vegetation. It's pretty easy to identify these types of features once you read the article and see what I'm talking about. Especially when compared with simply looking at aerial pictures...

Unfortunately, you can't just download these images. They are often expensive, have EXTREMELY large file sizes, and require manipulation in special computer software. I happen to be doing graduate work in geography and use GIS/remote sensing a lot for my schoolwork, and have access to these types of programs. I am extremely interested in taking advantage of this technique to help locate some new hunting sites.

SO go ahead and give the article a good read. It's an academic paper, so it's slightly dense, but you should be able to understand the main ideas. Be sure to take a look at the pictures/descriptions if you don't feel like reading.

Here you go! Rediscovering the lost archaeological landscape of southern New England using airborne light detection and ranging (LiDAR)

finderskeepers

Jul 26, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Boxes on sticks, that go beep
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm just beginning to learn/use QGIS. I notice that MassGIS has these layers available for download of areas that I'm studying. Is the article you mention available to view anywhere that is not behind a paywall?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread