Chooding where to start my plugs

Salura

Jun 21, 2013
Micanopy, Fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; White's Classic 1 SL with Blue Max 8000 disc, Garrett Pro-pointer; White's Bulls eye II pin pointer;
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Choosing where to start my plugs

Have a detector where the coil is completely encased in protective plastic. It's like detecting with a frissbee.

I know about making a cross (side to side, up, down) when zeroing in on a target, but find I'm doing a lot of extra digging. Since this is my own yard it ok as long as I stay out of the nice lawn parts.

When the detector beeps, is it safe to say that the target is in the center of the coil area? How big of a plug should I dig?

I'm sorry, I don't know my coil diameter. I'll check and post it tomorrow if it helps.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm sure that some of the other TNet'ers can give you some better advice than mine, but I have an old BH 840 with a solid coil and some other BH detectors that don't have solid coils. The one with the solid coil wasn't hard for me to figure out. If you do an air test you can pin point the spot on your coil that 'centers' on the find. I think most of the them will just about center of the coil. Mine is about a half inch from center. Also, you might lay a coin on some surface that isn't close to any metal, swing the coil over it, and try to see just where the coil is when it gives the strongest signal.
You'll probably get some others telling you other things to try. The guys/gals on this site are very helpful and knowledgeable.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A variation on what Texasred wrote is to tape a coin to a piece of cardboard, turn it face down, then practice trying to center on the coin. When you get good at it, you're good to go.
luvsdux

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Use the coin on the ground to find the exact center of your coil. Lifting the coil until you can barely hear it then paint an X in bright colored paint where your center is. Testors model paint in the fluorescent orange works well. If you're still worried, go old school! Get your probe out, locate the objects edge. Leave the probe in the ground & start cutting your plug. With the pin pointers in wide use I'll bet only 1 in 80 still own a probe.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread