Minelab E-Trac and when to use smooth response

gberl001

Jun 17, 2014
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Minelab E-Trac (w/ Garrett Pro Pointer)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm very new to metal detecting and while I know there are some really good finds in my yard, it is full of dumping holes for nails and other metal trash. I've been on the quest for a way to sift the trash and after countless articles, videos, etc. I found this blog from a guy in Australia. His post on high trash hunting really helped me out, you can check that post out here.

What he found is that if you are in an area with high trash and your detector is bouncing all over but you hear a quick high pitched blip from something good, try switching to long and detect again. (You can watch his video in that same post to see it in action, simply amazing)

Just a note, before you read the next paragraph, I had forgotten that he switched to long, not smooth, so when I tested this method I used smooth but the theory still worked.

I ran into this issue when I was searching around a pavilion in a park, the land was littered with pull tabs and tin foil but I heard one quick blip... so what was there to do but try out my smooth response setting. WOW, what a difference, I could totally distinguish a dime reading from among the many foil and pull tab readings. I was not, however, able to use pin pointer mode because it kept "locking" onto the tin readings. So, I did my best to pin point without it and there it was, a dime (for me is 11-43), just as suspected (and in the same hole as a piece of tin foil which read 12-01). I was so amazed that this worked as a sure fire thing the first time.

As a side note, I will say that I do not like to use smooth if I am not in a trashy area. The reason is that I find a lot of times where iron will give a little blip when you just pass over the edge of it and smooth makes it sound like a good reading because of the smooth. I'm sure there are chances when it isn't the case and there is actually a good find in there but I will stick with my methods. I typically skip over those blips when they are followed or lead by a 'blank' in the threshold because they have always been iron for me. With the smooth setting it's harder to tell when a blip, or in smooth's case, a good reading is followed or lead immediately by a 'blank'.

Anyway, this was such an amazing discovery for me that I thought I had to share it with others. I just got my E-Trac a few days ago after upgrading from my ACE 250 and I am loving every minute of it, so much control and variability. I know that is a big jump but being a software engineer I love having complete control and great visibility/resolution when it comes to analyzing data. The 250 was just to make sure I would like detecting.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread