does grass usaully die?

newgoldfinder

Dec 19, 2013
Adams County, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try to dig so that you aren't cutting to many roots...Like if you were cutting up sod...Remove the top layer of grass/roots then dig into the ground underneath... This way you are hardly hurting the grass itself...

OP
OP
diggyboy

diggyboy

Jun 10, 2013
Try to dig so that you aren't cutting to many roots...Like if you were cutting up sod...Remove the top layer of grass/roots then dig into the ground underneath... This way you are hardly hurting the grass itself...

Thanks for the tips, I appreciate it.

OldJerseyGirl

Jun 28, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro Excaliburll AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't dig a plug. I dig a flap. three sides. Lift it up and use pin pointer. Then just fill the dirt back in, close the flap and step on it. I dug tons of wholes in a friends yard in the fall looking for a lost ring. I am afraid that piece o f ground had a hundred pull tabs. So I quit and am going to go back soon. Anyway you cannot tell I was even there.

OP
OP
diggyboy

diggyboy

Jun 10, 2013
I don't dig a plug. I dig a flap. three sides. Lift it up and use pin pointer. Then just fill the dirt back in, close the flap and step on it. I dug tons of wholes in a friends yard in the fall looking for a lost ring. I am afraid that piece o f ground had a hundred pull tabs. So I quit and am going to go back soon. Anyway you cannot tell I was even there.

Thanks for the advice I will try that method

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Grass/sod should not die if handled with care and there is decent moisture content.

Press securely when replacing sod to avoid an air gap that can dry roots. If ground is real dry recovery is risky. Better to hit it when damp or about to be rained on a lot or watered heavy if you are worried about it recovering. Don,t be afraid to return the following day to recheck security of your worked areas as critters can mess with them or they can raise up a little.

OP
OP
diggyboy

diggyboy

Jun 10, 2013
Grass/sod should not die if handled with care and there is decent moisture content.

Press securely when replacing sod to avoid an air gap that can dry roots. If ground is real dry recovery is risky. Better to hit it when damp or about to be rained on a lot or watered heavy if you are worried about it recovering. Don,t be afraid to return the following day to recheck security of your worked areas as critters can mess with them or they can raise up a little.

Thanks for the advice! I already detected at my friends house but I will make sure to use those tips next time I detect on private property.

Jesse James

Mar 14, 2012
Lancaster County, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I remember a few times I was detecting around a bunch of squirrel holes that were dug up for acorn recovery. I'm thinking to myself "Man, I hope no one comes over and thinks I made that mess". I was half tempted to cover them up.

OP
OP
diggyboy

diggyboy

Jun 10, 2013
I remember a few times I was detecting around a bunch of squirrel holes that were dug up for acorn recovery. I'm thinking to myself "Man, I hope no one comes over and thinks I made that mess". I was half tempted to cover them up.

Haha I've had that happen before im not sure what animal the holes came from though

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you dig your "flap" or "plug" in the dry season, the grass may go dormant until it rains. I have never seen the grass actually die.

OP
OP
diggyboy

diggyboy

Jun 10, 2013
If you dig your "flap" or "plug" in the dry season, the grass may go dormant until it rains. I have never seen the grass actually die.

Thanks for the help. I already went to my friends house months ago and didn't find a thing lol. The grass never died though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread