metal detecting questions

gaspars ego

Jan 29, 2005
florida
Detector(s) used
MPX DIGITAL
Hey everyone, so far Ive been enjoying everyones posts this has to be the coolest site. Anyways the question i have is when detecting and your swinging the loop and it hits a blade of grass or appears to have struck the blade it appears to me that my MD goes off with a signal. am i doing something wrong. am i actually Getting a reading on something. Cause Ive been disregarding those signals and normally i get a 25$or 50$ reading. So what do you guys think. Have you ever experienced this. any tips given would be greatly unresisted.

thanks,
Steve

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Posability Sensitivity too high, & / Or your swinging too fast.

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I assume that you are using a detector that is not much more than 30 years old. Older TR machines would "sound off" if the coil was raised. (Such as bumping into a tuft of grass) .This was especially true if the soil was highly mineralized.
Make sure that the cable is wound tightly around the detector shaft. Check the coil and battery connections. Make sure that they are tight. Make sure that there are no cracks in the coil. This could allow moisture to get into the coil causing erroneous signals.

red

Feb 17, 2005
Lexington, Texas
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ70, Garrett 500
Howdy Ego

when it sounds off on something like grass just stomp it down and check that area from a couple of directions to see if you still get a signal.

But if your still not sure the best advice is always dig and know whats there .

I use a Fisher CZ 70 that will do that some of the time also even with the sens. very low. I've had it tell me thing were iron when they have been brass.

No detector is 100% so dig dig dig fill in fill in fill in.

Good hunting

Red

J

Jim Cal

What kind of detector are you using and what model? Make sure the cable connection is tight, wrapped around the stem securely as noted by others and the sensitivity isn't set too high. I know on the Garrett ACE 250 if you have sensitivity too high it makes some unusual sounds. Jim Cal

dudes2112

Jan 25, 2005
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
Is the grass wet? I had an old White's that I got at a garage sale and it always gave me grief if I got into some tall grass that was wet, I never did figure out what caused that though. Even with the sensitivity cranked down I still got eratic sounds. I just got an ACE 250 and it doesn't have that problem.

Dudes

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread