How to retrieve a box buried in sandy water

zrp31

Oct 25, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have stumbled upon a box that is buried 15 ft in the ground. The issue with this, is that the box is located near a river; therefore, the water table is 4 below the surface. Below the water table, the soil is all sand (sandy water). We have attempted to reach this box by digging down to this location with a manhole and a pump; however, the sand keeps coming back up when we are excavating the sand. I am in need of a suggestion on how to retrieve this box without digging to reach it, because this is proving to not be possible. I was thinking about using a water pump, and pumping water that is above the box to below the box. This would create a "cycle" of the water possibly lift the box to this surface. I have no idea if this will work, but I am looking for some advice on how to proceed.

Hitndahed

Dec 4, 2014
Deep in the woods in South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ7 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depending on how "clandestine" you want to be. Something that deep in sandy soil will probably depend on using some pretty heavy machinery I think.
Although,,, you MAY be able to use plastic pipe or barrels and advance the pipe/barrel as you remove material, creating a "well" of sorts where the water could be pumped out.
And the size of the "box" may also present a problem if it is too large or heavy to retrieve through the cleared area.

Just thinking out of the "box" (sorry, I had to ,,lol)
Hit

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Just wondering how you "stumbled" on the box if it's fifteen feet under the surface. Hope
you weren't hurt.

OP
OP
Z

zrp31

Oct 25, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I located this box with a gold detector, and I have been able to probe the area to find the approximate depth of the box. We have tried to get down to the depth of the box using something similar to cofferdam, but the sand keeps back-filling before we can get anywhere.

gordonquixote

Apr 8, 2012
N FL
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lol...Ok

Pray tell which detector detected a box 15' deep.

goldkey

May 21, 2013
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta/Macro Anfibio Multi / Nokta Fors Core /Ace 250 - w/ 9"x12" Coil /
Whites TRX Bullseye
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it were me in this situation, I think I would drill down to the box and obtain a sample from the box, before attempting to retrieve the whole box.
You could do this by drilling down through a pipe. When you hit the box and drill into it, then whatever is inside the box will come to the surface.
Having someone that has the equipment to drill a well do this for you shouldn't cost that much to drill 15'.
If it's filled with gold coins you should be able to get a sample of them before going to the expense and trouble of excavating 15' in sandy water.
If you "knew" for sure that it's a gold treasure, then I would get a backhoe in there and dig a big hole, using the cofferdam method.
You may find after retrieving a sample that being next to a river, it could be anything.....part of an old car, refrigerator, old stove....who knows what.

Last edited:

giuhalftrack

Jul 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
BFO's (DIY), Tesoro Silver, Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think if you pump water under or around the box you force the box to sink, because you remove sediment and leave space for the box to go down.

If you can reach "see" the box why not solder a metal ring on it and pull it out with a winch ?
I saw this method used in a mine to pull out a semi-buried loader, but you need access to the object a big chain and lot of pulling force.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it were me, I would make myself a double edge heavy duty Whale type Harpoon.
Drive it through the top of box and flood 15' down to make a quicksand solution and at the same time us a winch to gradually lift the box.
Marvin

Here is a design, but you need one much larger and pointed so that it can be driven with a big hammer.
https://www.amazon.com/Bulk-Hardwar...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00OBFQTN2

Wrecka

Jun 22, 2017
Gold Coast Queensland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get a massive magnet , get it to drop to the depth of the box by using a hose pumping water into the sand , hopefully it will attach if the box is metal , retrieve the box on the magnet while still displacing sand with the hose.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread