Hand held mini heat IR sensing / thermometers.

lesjcbs

Jul 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Pocket dowsing L- Rods shown above. Whites Beach Comber, Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter II, Whites TM 808, Canon 350D EOS Digital Rebel XT DSLR Camera.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Has anyone here used a hand held mini heat sensing IR thermometer gun to detect hot spots from buried metals in the ground? Kellyco once sold them and claimed that when the ground heats up from sun light during the day, metals in the ground heat up also. Thus, after the sun goes down and things start to cool off, the buried metals, that keeps heat longer than dirt, cools down slower leaving a hot spot to be detected. Fluke, Craftsman and other such companies make and sell them

Anyone know anything about using mini hand held heat sensors for metal detecting / treasure hunting?

Last edited:

Seden

Jan 28, 2008
This has been brought up before and the IR thermometer is not viable. You can get a USB Thermal imaging camera for cheap on ebay. Many to choose from besides flir and they plug into a smartphone to use the display. I've got one and it works great! Best time to use them is when it still gets above 80 but cools off rapidly towards the late afternoon. Here in So. cal. that would be the latter half of October. Hope this helps.

bjgiff

Jul 29, 2010
There is a lot of difference in thermal image equipment. The simple, cheap "point and read" are not going to do anything for you. They work for mechanics and various applications where you can be near what you are reading and only need a small, specific target read. As you get farther from your target the "point and read" pointer takes in a larger area. When you are within 4-6 inches it takes in approximately a dime size area into account. Step back several feet and the target area it reads enlarges the farther away you are. The farther away you are from the target the more ambient temperatures, wind, rain etc affect your reading.

I've used a Testo 882 for other applications- veterinarian oriented as well as being an amateur house inspector for a couple friends. It had good resolution and software was fairly simple. Details from a distance were good. I believe a camera like the Testo 882 was in the $5-6K range but that is a very "vague" guess as it's been quite awhile back.

I also followed some inspectors around a natural gas booster compressor station. They were using a FLIR that was upwards of $100K in cost. It showed the actual gas leaks invisible to the naked eye. Very good camera and was used as both a safety device and environmental device for finding gas leaks. I was fortunate to see 2 gas leaks that day- very small.

If you ever are serious about a thermal imager, do some home work and look into possible classes. Thinks like reflective factors, angles of the camera etc. all come into play.

Basically you get what you pay for with thermal imaging. There are very good reasons that some cameras cost more than others- when you really understand what is going on.

Last edited:

Bumbalawski

Mar 2, 2015
Beans Cove Pa.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a hand held FLIR E4 camera. It cost right at $1000. It can be hacked to E6 capabilities prior to a certain camera mfg. date. Mine is hacked to the E6, which is an immense improvement over the out of the box E4. I use it for cave detection since I am a caver. We use it to dig out sinkholes and warm spots. Some sinks are trash filled with various metals. Unless in direct sunlight and exposed to the sun, the metals do not give off a different temperature reading than the surrounding soil. Even in direct sunlight, buried metals do not display a different heat signature than the surrounding ground. At least what I have noticed to date. I will perform some field test in the near future to see if there is anything to this theory. It does work well with airflow detection, which is a primary tool for finding caves. But it is done usually around 60° and above and 32° and below, since cave temperatures vary from low 40's to upper 50's, depending on the cave environment.

OP
OP
lesjcbs

lesjcbs

Jul 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Pocket dowsing L- Rods shown above. Whites Beach Comber, Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter II, Whites TM 808, Canon 350D EOS Digital Rebel XT DSLR Camera.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a hand held FLIR E4 camera. It cost right at $1000. It can be hacked to E6 capabilities prior to a certain camera mfg. date. Mine is hacked to the E6, which is an immense improvement over the out of the box E4. I use it for cave detection since I am a caver. We use it to dig out sinkholes and warm spots. Some sinks are trash filled with various metals. Unless in direct sunlight and exposed to the sun, the metals do not give off a different temperature reading than the surrounding soil. Even in direct sunlight, buried metals do not display a different heat signature than the surrounding ground. At least what I have noticed to date. I will perform some field test in the near future to see if there is anything to this theory. It does work well with airflow detection, which is a primary tool for finding caves. But it is done usually around 60° and above and 32° and below, since cave temperatures vary from low 40's to upper 50's, depending on the cave environment.
I remember now, what I saw and read about on other web sites was the detection of auras. I'll look some more.

rtp_guy

Jan 22, 2014
Durham, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Gold Monster 1000
Minelab CTX 3030
Fischer Gold Bug 2
Garrett AT Gold
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's MX5
Titan 9000
Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for reviving an old thread, but I just acquired my FLIR e8 and am looking forward to sharing by my discoveries. Curious if anyone else is still using the FLIR e4/6/8 cameras?

thermal

Jun 23, 2013
Detector(s) used
garrett...
Primary Interest:
Other
It finds its target to those who know how to use a thermal camera.
The point is to know the method.
I have taken care of what is written above, but there is no result.
I want to sell the method of use to 0.1 BTC.
Let the serious interested message sending

Last edited:

iziksa

May 20, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i heard that there is IR thermometer software that people use satellite imagine to anylize heat remotely ... anyone know person that doing it ?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions