Getting Permission to Hunt at a Church?

N

Newbie1967

I'm just curious how you go about getting permission to search at a church. We have a church not a mile from my house that was originally put there back in the 1700's, and I ride the bus to work with one of the church members - I'm trying to decide what the best approach is. Do I talk to her, do I go visit the Pastor, do I write a letter, make a phone call, send an e-mail (I have the Reverend's e-mail address)? ???

For those of you that receive permission to search in churches, does it help to promise that you'll turn over anything of "historical significance" to the church? If I can get access to this one church it might be a great opportunity and I don't want to blow it! :)

Thanks

Jim

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
See "Detecting Churches" in the "Metal Detecting" String

BenVA

Sep 16, 2003
SW VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, White's MXT, Tesoro Compadre and Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have gotten permission for a church by calling the pastor, but I work with his cousin so that could have made a difference. I think it would be best to approach him in person. People have a harder time saying no when you are speaking to them in person. I woud not say anything about turning over any items unless he asks. Just be friendly. You may also consider attending the church if you dont go somewhere else.

M

minelabex1000

As for the church, the first place I'd hunt is directly under the eves. I've never seen a church yet that didn't have a mess of coins in that location. Workers on those steep roofs lose stuff big-time.

With a church that old, if you're the first to hunt, you've got it made.

S

SASQUASH

Yes free is right go do some volunteer work you will have better chance then & have done something good at the same time. SASQUASH<><

Wild Boulder Bill

Jan 5, 2005
Now residing Waynesboro Georgia
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer, whites gtx, tesoro lobo
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
1700s Church. Hmmmm. Revolutionary war. Hmmmm State Archeologists. College Archeologists. Amateur archeologists. The people at the church just think the church belongs to them. By definition and age a historic site. NInja suits and flashlights and a good attorney.

Wild Boulder

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Pro Coil,and 6x8" S.E.F,The Relic & Gold hunters DREAM...a Troy X-3 w/3 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ask in person.....It would help if you would promise to give half the value to the church,or attend atleast once.....Be VERY carefull not to mar the lawn,and the Detectorists reputation...H.H.

Tom E IL

Greenie
Feb 1, 2005
Manito IL
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Gold, Ace 250, CZ3D, F75
Heres what I do sometimes, I also had a thing wrote out that they can say yes or no to, with a place to write there info in and send back to me.Most people will want to meet you and set up areas you can and cant go.Remember you maynot even get anything back,its 50, 50 on responces, you never know what you get from this.I look and land and get info from the county on who owns the land.I drive around in the winter and look at places when you can see whats around there, take some pics and when that day comes,well you know $$$ and fun;

Date here

Greetings,

This may sound like a strange request, so let me introduce myself: My name is your name and I have lived in your home town for X years. I am XX years old. I live at your address almost across from you.

[NOTE: If you have any common acquaintances it is good to mention them here]

Normally I would prefer to approach you in person; however I feel that a letter before hand is a better emissary than just knocking on your door at an inconvenient time and invading your privacy. I have been engaged in the hobby of metal detecting for several years and find it a healthful, enjoyable pastime that allows me to meet many interesting people. The thrill of finding old coins, buttons, etc. is very exciting to me.

I have done a little research on your property and believe that it could be an interesting site to metal detect, so I thought I would contact you and ask for your permission to metal detect on your land.

I want you to understand that I always respect the property that I search and try to leave it in the same condition that I found it. Normally the targets are no deeper than 4 or 5 inches and I retrieve them such that the ground appears not to be disturbed.

In addition, I would like to offer my services to you. Perhaps you or someone you know has lost a valuable ring, a cache or a farm tool. I would be willing to assist just for the thrill of the search. I have enclosed a self addressed envelope for your convenience and would be happy to meet with you if further discussion is required. You may also reach me by email at your email.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

Your Name
Your phone number

R

rvbvetter

If they say no. Go over their heads. I hear they answer to a higher authority. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions