How do I search and find

PennDirtDigger

Mar 10, 2019
Western Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looking for good ways to research any old colonial homes in the woods..Any help would be awesome..I have used historical aerials. But that can only take you so far..I live in South East pa
newer guy to this site but I live in southwest pa. This post is pretty old but If you are still out there check out pennpilot.psu.edu they have pics older than historical aerials from airplane flyovers dating back to 1937

iziksa

May 20, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i heard that there is IR thermometer software that people use satellite imagine to anylize heat remotely ... anyone know person that doing it ?

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Research and maps yes, but also invaluable is a good handheld gps to enable you to wander the woods looking for signs of old habitation and without winding up lost I’m using the Garmin Oregon 750

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pay attention to high ground, stone patterns on the ground, vegetative areas of the woods, proximity to water.
Old topo maps and current typos. Old maps show a structure, new one shows nothing. Nine times out of ten you'll find a foundation or cellar hole. I believe the Smithsonian web site has Old Old typos you can D/L and print. Hope that helps.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread