All Treasure Hunting

4x4x4

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2017
Southern California, outside of San Diego
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
....HI Coyote 3.
These systems generally work on TEMPERATURE DIFFERENTIAL. A unit can be shades of grey (or red) or multi-hue.
So , yes the system could be used for say iron confined by wood BUT the temps must be different , not"normalized" and , in my opinion having the iron warmer than the crate (bring the crate into the warehouse) would be optimized.
YOU CAN NOW BUY A THERMAL,NEAR I.F. CAMERA FOR YOUR I-PHONE.... CHECK THAT ONLINE "E" STORE ... CHEAP !

....Mark.

OP
OP
C

coyote3

Apr 12, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Spectrum,
Minelab Xterra 705,
Whites TM808,
Bounty Hunter,
Si Go by Fitz
L Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So with the crate being wood and iron inside if it is buried two to three feet deep will it show warmer or cooler via thermal?

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
No, in some cases it would work, however for something stashed or buried you would need to be scaning the area shortly after a temp change in that environment to get a distinguishable reading. Its not not scanning a structure with an Elcan looking to see who is holding a weapon.

You need to get it right after it is planted or during a large fluctuation temp to the area it is in. If your scanning something that has been there for longer than a month then your not going to pick up it.

Now if you can get a hot day and cold night then you have your chance.

So with the crate being wood and iron inside if it is buried two to three feet deep will it show warmer or cooler via thermal?

OP
OP
C

coyote3

Apr 12, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Spectrum,
Minelab Xterra 705,
Whites TM808,
Bounty Hunter,
Si Go by Fitz
L Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So it's been raining and cold the past week. If it gets warm now try and hit it before it gets all the ground the same temp? I have a fluke I am using that differentiates within .2 degrees and has a temp setting so I can scan for certain temps. If they are buried like that they won't always be at a different temperature? Thanks

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The wood crates might act as a insulator. Think of a big mass--it will resist temperature change. I've heard sun rays penetrate a ways into the ground, don't know how far but only a few feet. If the metal is below that, I don't know if anything will be measurable.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last edited:

haxor

Aug 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They read the outer surface temp. They do NOT see into anything.

Halomstr

Jul 4, 2017
West Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro
Garrett ACE 250
Whites Classic II
Whites PI Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The soil will unfortunately insulate it....unless you have a gigantic liquid hydrogen cooled system. Cooled vs. uncooled.

iziksa

May 20, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i heard that there is IR thermometer software that people use satellite imagine to anylize heat remotely ... anyone know person that doing it ?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread