Gold Test Indicator Solution

sluiceman

Greenie
Aug 5, 2007
Minnesota
Several years ago I had a simple formula to test for the presence of gold chloride in leach solution. I haven't used it since then and now I've lost it! I recall it used at least one ingredient of Aqua Regia, didn't use stanous chloride, and that it has to be made fresh because it only stays potent for a few days. Of course I can pay one of several treasure hunting companies for their gold test kits, but I would really like to make my own.

Anyone know about this recipe?

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Eagle II SL90/Eagle Spectrum/TF-900
As I recall from my Jewelry store days...nitric acid is what they used.
Good luck getting anyone to sell it to you though.

Timberwolf

OP
OP
S

sluiceman

Greenie
Aug 5, 2007
Minnesota
The last time I made aqua regia I went to a chemical supply house for my nitric acid. I got my stanous chloride there too. It wasn't a problem then. I haven't tried lately, as I still have a goodly quantity. The aquisition of sodium hydroxide has become a bit of a problem. I can't find Red Devil lye in any store at this point. The chemical suppliers won't sell it directly to the public, and I have to pay shipping via a hazmat carrier to get it. I now buy mine through a soap making supplier. Muriatic acid is still available at Ace Hardware.

Timberwolf, you and Ant have been very kind to respond to my inquiry. May I share an interesting site I found with you? As gold is rather scarce in Minnesota I resorted to a lot of searches and research on the net to come up with unconventional ways of prospecting. I'm not sure of the validity of what I found but I'm in the process of testing it out. http://www.goldmineworld.net
I'm specifically looking at gold from salt, gold from volcanic mud, and gold in water from this site. I have some of their T-6 precipitant/leach comming and will let you know about the results;~)

Howard

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread