Acid Tool Gold testing

Alex_p

Jul 21, 2017
NYC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,

I am a novice to acid gold testing, bought the kit with 10k, 14k, 18k and 22k solutions.
Would be grateful for your advice.

The gold is most likely low grade (if gold at all). The main question is if we can use gold dust (shaved gold)
for testing. When I apply 10K to the dust - it first foams , but the dust stays / doesn't dissolve.
I applied 10K several times and dust still stays. When I used 14K acid - the dust dissolved pretty fast.

Does it mean it could be gold ? The dust was shaved using regular knife.

When I just rubbed the gold / metal on scratch stone - after 10k acid is applied the metal stays for some period of time,
but if the acid applied several times - the metal begin disappearing. After 14k applied - the metal disappears immediately.

Thanks in advance for the help,
Alex

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi,

I am a novice to acid gold testing, bought the kit with 10k, 14k, 18k and 22k solutions.
Would be grateful for your advice.

The gold is most likely low grade (if gold at all). The main question is if we can use gold dust (shaved gold)
for testing. When I apply 10K to the dust - it first foams , but the dust stays / doesn't dissolve.
I applied 10K several times and dust still stays. When I used 14K acid - the dust dissolved pretty fast.

Does it mean it could be gold ? The dust was shaved using regular knife.

When I just rubbed the gold / metal on scratch stone - after 10k acid is applied the metal stays for some period of time,
but if the acid applied several times - the metal begin disappearing. After 14k applied - the metal disappears immediately.

Thanks in advance for the help,
Alex

Have you read the instructions? Seems that a gold test that destroys the sample is of little use.
Reminds me of a test for pearls. Drop a pearl in vinegar, if the pearl dissolves, it was real.

I have a cheapo test kit but my samples just turn color.

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
sounds like 10K..(?)

I recently bought a test kit as well - no instructions included.
Alex, from what you're describing... Sounds like you may be looking at 10K gold, but that's just a guess.

OP
OP
A

Alex_p

Jul 21, 2017
NYC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, the instructions are not clear. I would hope that it is 10k, but will probably have to buy inexpensive electronic gold tester,
to make sure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread