gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Harvard has the best anthropology department in the US. I took Anth/arch at OU (university of OK) but left after discovering that less then one tenth of one percent of of all anth/arch students ever actually get to go on digs. Most of the students you see in Nat Geo magazine digging cool ancient sites paid many thousands of dollars to go on these expeditions. Sadly most who get degrees in this field end up as professors and never really see much field work. I went to OU because I didn't have the grades or the money for Harvard and OU had a good native American studies anth department. I don't know if they still do, I went there sixty years ago.

OP
OP
Nathan-Drake0075

Nathan-Drake0075

Mar 10, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you so much for the insight! How important is it to have a degree to seacher for sunken ships and coins?

TwoYewts

Oct 29, 2013
NorthEast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher CZ-21, Makro Racer Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not sure if it will help; but, I believe I recall seeing Archaeology News magazines in my local Barnes & Noble that had adverts in the back pages listing fieldwork opportunities and educational tours etc. Also you can try going to the Archaeological Institute of America's website to see offerings (https://www.archaeological.org/fieldwork/afob). The only thing is, I believe 9 out of 10 postings are all for overseas locations. Not sure if that is something you are looking to do.

Hope that helps.
TwoYewts

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You could join the ASAA. American Society for Amateur Archaeologists. It's free. This is Mike Gramly's group. He digs with volunteer diggers. No experience necessary. You'll get a real good taste of sitting in a hole digging and can decide if you like it or not without committing to getting a degree. Hot weather, bugs, poison ivy roots everywhere. Been there, done that. Gary

OP
OP
Nathan-Drake0075

Nathan-Drake0075

Mar 10, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you both! I will surly look into those! I've always wanted to go on a dig!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
If you think that getting an archie degree will help you find more goodies, .... think again. The methods they use is tedious and boring. They will spend a week digging and sifting a 5 x 5 ft. pit. Spending copious amounts of time writing about each nail, shard, bone, etc... that they find.

I have assisted in some archie digs, and ... quite frankly ... it was boring. For us md'rs, we get a signal, dig it up, and put it in our apron. And move on to the next beep. But to the archie, they flag the beep, write a page about the beep, dig it up with tweezers and brushes, blah blah blah.

About the only benefit that being an archie might benefit you, is that you might get some carte-blanche to some sites. But you would be the immediate disdain from other archies, if they saw you using standard md'ing methods. They BRISTLE at the thought of "collecting" and "value", etc.... To them, a crockery shard, or a square nail is JUST as meritorious as a 1909s vdb or a gold coin. But to us md'rs, we chuck the nail or shard aside as junk, and go on to the next beep.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions