you think you know your detector ? what ?

Blindbowman

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hello , I have been detector for over 50 years now and if I could tell the new comer and the old pro one thing that could help them make that one great find be in their coin bag when they walk away from that site , you know the site . the one you told your self I know there is something there but I just cant find it ... here is the hint you should think about . you have focus on using your metal detector a different way ,who nulls to ground balance, that's only good for one ground condition , stop your self from doing that all of us have done it for years with the older detectors . now we have these over priced react to anything like its solid gold ...space age tune it a week and hope to find anything .. ,the sites are being worked ..and you will most likely find your self in a over worked trashy area before long m that's if you plain to find any thing worth finding .. so here we go two hints that have worked for ne and work well ...one is the ground balance vs the null point or thresh hold it says Ground ! the ground balance is to set your detectors best reaction to the amount and type of minerals or lack of minerals in the ground you will be working over ...
now that dose not mean you set it and forget it .. that a big mistake even the pros makes .. I look at some of my friends and once the hunt starts they get knob amnesia,, they walk all over the place and think they set it when they started and the whole world is the same ground balance . and the other guy next to him thinks the ground reset is the race node ... wrong ! come on you guys you got a killer detector or a cheap piece of crap .but its what your using so try to find the best set up you can don't go out there work a spot and say this detector sucks I am going to go get me one of those bad boys ... its not going to help you if you set your detector once when you first start a site ... set back a few , 10 minutes and just look around .. maybe things are not the same as the years when that map cane out or that story was fresh and new ...or that site had a boy scot trop work it like they owned it ...test and re-test your ground balance . I like to do the 3 way set up . high , low and at the thresh hold for ground balance .if you cant find some thing using those 3 effectively .you better sell the detector and stay home reading treasure net ...do them in that order Hig first your going to get a lot trash hits that's to get your knees bending ...and your digging hand warned up ...the low side is to slow you down and make your ears work over time ...get you to think before you dig the next thousand nails or pull taps ..., when you find a area like that detune to those items and work the area tuned to the trash not letting it get the best of you ...so here we are at trash alimentation .don't try to block them out you will go crazy trying ... they are there in the ground . null to the 3 best settings . when you do this it dose what it says it dose eliminates trash items, high ,low and null peak . now some of you older pros are going to say their is one peak what are you talking about . I say no there is the forward side the peak of thresh hold and the aft or tail of the thresh hold .. ,if you can take even a few hours and try this 3 point set up you walk around every one why they are stuck in the trash ...or bad ground balance areas ..you get what you put into it if your willing to learn and try ..it is easy to find something that works good with your detector and then use that every where you go .. all site are different . this is how you set a detector to get around that problem ...I have use so many I don't even care what type of detector it is any more ...I used a old compass B and made my friend so mad he sold his top of the line and went and got a compass B , I ask him why did you do that he said I want to find some .. I said it wasn't the detector it was you ,, so face the facts . your are your own worst nightmare ...once you learn the 3 way set get 3 detector and switch off and on with them and you will see what I mean ...most detectors will find targets .. but will you ...? I love detecting and right now I don't have a detector . when my brother died I gave his two son two detectors so they could remember their dad .. so I will get another soon and I hope they enjoy metal detecting as much as me and their dad has for all these years .. good luck out but you really don't need that horse shoe around your neck just learn the 3 way set up and you will do fine ..stay safe stay free

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions