Any Meaning to a Crooked Tree?

AmericanGeode

Nov 23, 2020
Cleveland, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could not find the right wording to find the post here about trees that somehow were tied or made to point in one direction, and keep pointing in that direction as they grew? Any way, is this just a natural, pleasant photo collection of a tree in the North Georgia woods of the Blue Ridge Mountain, or does this signify something? Thank you for the insight. If I am seeing things, I can accept that!
IMG_6306.JPG IMG_6307.JPG IMG_6308.JPG IMG_6309.JPG IMG_6310.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_6306.JPG
    IMG_6306.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 123

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can go out and find numerous trees that look like that. It could either be from another tree falling on it when it was smaller and laying on it long enough for it to grow crooked or the top may have been broke off and that is a branch growing upright. I used to take pictures of crooked trees, but there were too many to bother with.

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
I can go out and find numerous trees that look like that. It could either be from another tree falling on it when it was smaller and laying on it long enough for it to grow crooked or the top may have been broke off and that is a branch growing upright. I used to take pictures of crooked trees, but there were too many to bother with.

Agreed. I see numerous trees with 90 degree turns. Most often caused as described by pa plateau hiker - older tree falls on smaller tree then eventually rots away.
dts

OP
OP
A

AmericanGeode

Nov 23, 2020
Cleveland, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was out hiking last Saturday in the North Georgia mountains look for a homestead I found on a 1906 map. I found the following tree, and marked it in GPS and took the following 2 photos.
IMG_6342.JPG IMG_6343.JPG

Then I decided to follow this tree in the direction it pointed. Then, maybe 100 feet later (I marked it on GPS again), I ran straight into this tree.
IMG_6344.JPG IMG_6345.JPG

I did not continue because I am recovering from hernia surgery and not supposed to overdo it, but in 2-3 weeks I plan to see if the trail continues. Any advice? Thank you.

Doubloony

Apr 8, 2021
East Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was out hiking last Saturday in the North Georgia mountains look for a homestead I found on a 1906 map. I found the following tree, and marked it in GPS and took the following 2 photos.
View attachment 1895358 View attachment 1895359

Then I decided to follow this tree in the direction it pointed. Then, maybe 100 feet later (I marked it on GPS again), I ran straight into this tree.
View attachment 1895361 View attachment 1895362

I did not continue because I am recovering from hernia surgery and not supposed to overdo it, but in 2-3 weeks I plan to see if the trail continues. Any advice? Thank you.

I found one almost exactly similar to the first one you found, on my own land about 4 years ago. I took photos which I have on a flashdrive now and will find them if anyone is interested. I know it was man-made, because I ran the detector around it, and found a 8" section of antique barb-wire that I am sure was used to tie it down. There has never been any fences nearby that area. I'm in East Texas, next to the Sabine National Forest. I found with detector, many spent .45 Colt and .38 WCF shell casings in the same vicinity, along with a copper leather rivet still holding a small bit of leather in it's grasp, presumably a piece of horse or belt equipment. I'm beginning to think something strange happened here, but there is no way I can determine that as fact. I tried to follow where the tree was pointing, but it is so brushy that it's impossible. Trying again this Spring, perhaps in a week or two.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions