Expierenced Peeps Advice

djduk00

Jun 7, 2005
I didn't see a real place for Detecting Questions so I am putting it here. I have been digging all targets like most suggest but I am looking at Old Homesteads in my area. I dig up mostly tin cans or pieces of cans at these sites. I was given a Bounty Hunter Quick Silver for Xmas so that is what I am using at the present time. I have been discriminating out iron due to the large amounts of nails and such at these sites but cans/pieces of cans are driving me crazy.My detector will see most pieces of cans as a coin. Any good advice? Keep digging those cans hope something better comes along?

Thx From the Noobest

omnicognic

Bronze Member
Jan 22, 2005
Tampa, Florida
Welcome to the forum! First let me say that if you dig all the trash hits, eventually you will begin to see better and better finds as you get the area cleaned up. Each piece of trash you dig helps you gain experience with your machine and enables you to zero in on your targets more accurately! Everyone digs lots of trash before they find the good stuff, but as you gain experience you will find it easier to know the difference between good and bad targets. On a virgin site however, the trash levels will be high and digging a lot of it is part of the process, but the payoffs are worth it! Don't get frustrated, we are your support! We have all been there and we look forward to some fantastic finds from you! Good Hunting! omnicognic 8)

caratjuice

Oct 15, 2004
Washington State
Welcome Noobest,

This is only my first year of detecting so I'm not an expert. One thing I do a lot is put some coin, rings and junk on the ground at home before I go out hunting and just listen to the sounds they make. I don't usually use any discrimination, I just try to dig the sounds I remember from my practice sessions. I don't know if this will work for your machine but it might.

R

rvbvetter

? ? ? Digging everything is the ideal thing to do, but i seldom have the time or patience to do it.
Whole cans or large pieces of cans and iron junk.? Will give a wider signal in all metal than a coin will. Best way to tell difference is, after getting a hit. Put the coil to the side of target on the ground and switch to all metal. Then move the coil across target. And where the sound starts and where the sound stops, if that distance is wider than your coil. Then it is something other than a coin. Like a can or iron and so on. A single coin, no matter the size, will not give a signal wider than your coil.? ? ? Good luck? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? HH

DugHoles

Bronze Member
May 23, 2005
Hudson Falls, NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT---Tinytec Ultraluxe probe
rvbvetter said:
? ? ? Digging everything is the ideal thing to do, but i seldom have the time or patience to do it.
Whole cans or large pieces of cans and iron junk.? Will give a wider signal in all metal than a coin will. Best way to tell difference is, after getting a hit. Put the coil to the side of target on the ground and switch to all metal. Then move the coil across target. And where the sound starts and where the sound stops, if that distance is wider than your coil. Then it is something other than a coin. Like a can or iron and so on. A single coin, no matter the size, will not give a signal wider than your coil.? ? ? Good luck? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? HH

Absolutely correct. You can do whats called "de-tuning" during your pinpointing process as well; to further give you a clue on the targets size as I do with my XLT.

GL & HH,

DugHoles
Upstate NY

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread