G2

momule55

Nov 9, 2006
Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra's The Great One's!!!
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just a short review for those interested in the G2. I have had mine for about a month now, and have put it thru the paces. Light weight, rod like the Omega, 11"DD Biaxial coil and built well.I am a relic hunter and this is where this machine shines!! I have dug alot of targets out of holes with square nails mixed in with the dirt. You have to check your hole for all targets. If you get a high tone "Chirp" along with a low tone grunt, you better check it out. I set my disc at 35-40, that way anything below the foil range comes in at a low tone. The Fast Grab ground balance is very accurate and I like the way you can see how hot the ground is where you are hunting. The G2 does well in bad ground. As far as depth, I have found bullets & buttons in rocky ground down to 8" so far. I think it will do better, I just have not found any deep targets with it. The VCO in disc cuts in at 6", another words, the tone is a steady tone and then the tone volume gets less the deeper the target is, kinda like the old 1266 Fishers, it is modulated. Only one thing that kinda bothers me is battery life. After 4 hours of hunting, the battery meter goes to 1/2. I have not run the battery down all the way, so I can't say what the battery life really is. I works well on rechargable 9v batterys well also. Overall it is a great machine for hunting those really worked over sites that usualy produce less. If you have a place that you have hunted in the past, it will suprise you on the amount that you will recover. Oh, the Sunray FX-1 Inline Probe will work on it also.

Attachments

• 12-20 Finds.jpg
    12-20 Finds.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 868

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
The only thing that bothers me about the G2 is it has no volume control...
I am 1 of the few people who does not wear hp's...
John

TomNWMI

Feb 5, 2006
NWMI
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Musketeer, Tek G2, Omega and a Fisher ID Edge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice group of finds

The audio on the G2 is the best I have used of the newer digital detectors to come out. The combination beep/VCO effect is simply awesome for working the heavy trash/iron at older sites. It gives you the intelligibility to pull stuff out of the worst sites with seeming ease compared to all others. Hard to describe in words, you have to use it to understand what I am saying. I have always preferred the audio of analog detectors for hunting the worst iron filled spots but the G2 changes my thinking on that.

While I like and have had very good success using the Omega in the same conditions, the pure VCO audio in the d1 and d2 modes makes working the worst iron slow and more of a chore in comparison. I'd love to see Dave J and crew modify d2 mode on the Omega to have the same audio. No old coin hiding in the iron would be safe!

Tom

basstrackerman

Feb 15, 2007
Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well i just got my G2 today! i love it. put some clear tape over speaker hole so its not blasting loud. love the tones,vco. it makes listening to what your going over very easy.it feels really sturdy and to be honest i cant see why i will ever need the 5in dd coil. i was going over the area that i target shoot and there are hundreds of brass casings on the ground..it sounded off on every single one. it was amazing!!! this is the detector ive been waiting for. going out tomorrow so i will check back afterwards.

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
If you get in an area that really trashy,you ll do better with the 5inch dd coil..
It takes some getting used to that's for sure...
I have the T2'S but it basically comparable..
John

OP
OP
momule55

momule55

Nov 9, 2006
Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
johnnyblaze said:
If you get in an area that really trashy,you ll do better with the 5inch dd coil..
It takes some getting used to that's for sure...
I have the T2'S but it basically comparable..
John

I beg to differ............The G2 is a completly different machine and is WAY more stable than the T-2

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Is the G2 unstable and give off a lot of chatter like the T2 does ??????

Attachments

• DesperateQuestions.jpg
    DesperateQuestions.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 1,409
  • DesperateQuestions.jpg
    DesperateQuestions.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 1,400

BERT

Jun 23, 2008
Detector(s) used
Etrac--G2--GB Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

basstrackerman

Feb 15, 2007
Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have the G2 and it is the quietest machine i have ever used. it is also the fastest response machine i have ever used. my front yard is really littered with old nails,and the G2 will find every target! on each sweep of the coil it will hit 12 to 20 nails and sound off separately on every one. thats amazes me. now it doesnt air test coins near as good as my MXT PRO but cutting through the trash was one of the reasons i bought it. and so far i really like it.

TabWhisperer

Mar 17, 2010
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
TDI SL, Equinox800, Whites XL Pro w/tone mod, Makro Racer, Whites IDX Pro w/Bills mods
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
basstrackerman said:
i have the G2 and it is the quietest machine i have ever used. it is also the fastest response machine i have ever used. my front yard is really littered with old nails,and the G2 will find every target! on each sweep of the coil it will hit 12 to 20 nails and sound off separately on every one. thats amazes me. now it doesnt air test coins near as good as my MXT PRO but cutting through the trash was one of the reasons i bought it. and so far i really like it.

If you get a chance, try burying some coins and gold jewlery in a range around 3-7 inches and compare the G2 to your MXT. Let us know how it goes. Hopefully you didn't get the brunt of the snow storms where you are at.

OP
OP
momule55

momule55

Nov 9, 2006
Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The MXT vs The G2.......Ha..Ha!!!

Believe me I've had 4, count em, 4 MXT's with every coil that fits on them. Believing that they were the "Magic" relic machines. Let me tell ya, the G2 OR the GB SPANKS the MXT as far as target seperation and depth. I found this button on new years eve at 10" the MXT NEVER, I repeat NEVER would of nailed it, especialy with the 3 nails in the hole with it.... The MXT in my area has depth problem after 8" it just grunts iron tones, you have to knock the "Scab" off of the ground to get it to give any high tone readings after 8" on bullets & buttons. I like the G2 because I don't have to switch from mode to mode to decide if I want to dig. It even beats the F-75 LTD that I had that was so jittery, I had to hunt with the sens in the 40's to even find anything. Both the G2 & Gold Bugs are the most advanced machines out there for iron laden, trashy spots, HANDS DOWN!!!!

Attachments

• Last Bling.jpg
    Last Bling.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 723

TabWhisperer

Mar 17, 2010
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
TDI SL, Equinox800, Whites XL Pro w/tone mod, Makro Racer, Whites IDX Pro w/Bills mods
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have to agree with your enthusiasm over the G2 aka Gold Bug Pro. I picked up a new GBP since I got the 5 and 11 inch coils for the price of the G2 with just one coil. Just lucky timing on my part. I don't care either way about the handle configuration since they are both so light compared to what I had been using. I agree the MXT is a great machine but these FTP machines are really something, especially when you consider the cost/performance. In areas I would like to use my Omega for coins it sometimes has EMI problems. Rather than turn down the sens I just pick up the GBP and go. Stable as can be. I also found them a lot better for gold jewelry. Now I can't wait for spring.

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Interesting thread. Sounds like the machine I may be looking for. What is the difference in the Gold Bug Pro, the Special Edition and the DP? Are they all the same machine as Teknetics G2 with different coils? Or are there other operational differences? I won't be doing any prospecting but love HF machines. And if the recovery is as fast, and the iron separation is as good as ya'll say... Then I might have to try me one! How is the pinpointing with the 11"? Sorry to hijack, sorta relevant...
Thanks, Ron

TabWhisperer

Mar 17, 2010
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
RW said:
Interesting thread. Sounds like the machine I may be looking for. What is the difference in the Gold Bug Pro, the Special Edition and the DP? Are they all the same machine as Teknetics G2 with different coils? Or are there other operational differences? I won't be doing any prospecting but love HF machines. And if the recovery is as fast, and the iron separation is as good as ya'll say... Then I might have to try me one! How is the pinpointing with the 11"? Sorry to hijack, sorta relevant...
Thanks, Ron

I'll tell you what I know but it may not be 100%. The GB Pro has a 5 inch coil, the GB DP has an 11 inch coil. Same machine. Keep me honest but I think FTP was offering a coil for $75 + SH if you buy any FTP detector until 1/15/2011. The Fisher machines have a S shaped rod where the Teknetics G2 has a handle similar to the MXT pod. The cosmetics of the controls are a little different between the GB and the G2. The GB SE was a little cheaper since it was an introductory price. I think on the GB Pro they modified the VCO and perhaps some final tweaking of the software. The TID of the GB Pro and I assume the G2 are more optimized for gold hunting since the software "compresses" the TID ranges at the upper end where the coins come in. The lower part of the TID is more spread out. No target icons on either make so you need to be comfortable with TID numbers. My experience is that is is pretty easy to pick out dimes, pennies, quarters, etc. My Gb Pro seems to have the ability to lock on to a TID and not bounce around much. Beer caps are a problem but if you sweep the target with the point or heel of the coil it will grunt around the iron area and prevent some trash digging. The 5 and 11 inch Tek and Fisher coils are interchangeable between the G2, Omega, Delta, etc as long as they are the screw type connector. The GB Pro and I assume the G2 do not have notch disc like the Omega.

Correct me on anything I didn't get right or complete.

TabWhisperer

Mar 17, 2010
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One more item. I think the basic Gold Bug does not have manual ground balance for the minor adjustments some hunters want.

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Thanks for info. I prefer the TID to be opened up in the gold/nickel/foil range anyway. If it is a coin I am digging no matter what. Now on with the never ending quest and research!
Thanks, Ron

basstrackerman

Feb 15, 2007
Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok i went out some more with both my mxt pro and the G2..using several coils with the mxt pro,sef 6x8 and 10x12 and d2 10"dd...just using my own nail infested yard looking for good targets the G2 locked on to several targets between the nails. the only coil on the mxt that would lock on to any of these items was the sef 6x8.. now the G2 with 11" dd locked on these targets but the whites coils nulled out on them. so....i dug the items...a nickle,2 wheat cents,and 5 memorial cents...all 6 to 7 inches deep...but with nails in the holes.i am really impressed with this machine! might have to sell the mxt and buy a omega 8000!

TabWhisperer

Mar 17, 2010
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
basstrackerman said:
ok i went out some more with both my mxt pro and the G2..using several coils with the mxt pro,sef 6x8 and 10x12 and d2 10"dd...just using my own nail infested yard looking for good targets the G2 locked on to several targets between the nails. the only coil on the mxt that would lock on to any of these items was the sef 6x8.. now the G2 with 11" dd locked on these targets but the whites coils nulled out on them. so....i dug the items...a nickle,2 wheat cents,and 5 memorial cents...all 6 to 7 inches deep...but with nails in the holes.i am really impressed with this machine! might have to sell the mxt and buy a omega 8000!
Your results are very consistent with mine. If you want to have some fun try it with a gold ring at 3 inches and 6 inches. I wound up selling all of my Whites units mainly because of my concern with their inability for detecting gold jewelry deeper than 2-3 inches. Or when they did hit it looked like trash. I thought it was possibly just my soil conditions affecting them.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Now that is some good info guys thanks a lot ...HH

Attachments

• thumbnailCA7CHBDG.jpg
    thumbnailCA7CHBDG.jpg