omega v. gtp1350

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
I've swung White's (MXT), Minelab (Safari) & currently run with an Omega 8000 by Teknetics & Fisher CZ-3D (1021 Model)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Don :) I've never used a GTP myself, however, I just started swinging an Omega 8000 a few weeks ago. I am new to the Tek line. I have used Minelab & White's before only. I didn't care for Minelab at all. The White's MXT was THE machine IMHO. It got stolen and I have another one coming soon. Anyways, where a little info that might help in your decision...

So far, I happen to LOVE the Omega :hello2: I'll give you a run-down on the pluses and minuses below;

PLUSES

1. Almost never nulls out around iron and junk. This is important. Nulling means lost targets.

2. The recovery speed on this thing is simply amazing. Look up the Omega 8000 on youtube. You should come across a video or two demonstrating the speed while sweeping over targets. Incredible. You don't need to hunt like a turtle as is the case with the Minelab's.

3. Very deep considering the price range. To be honest, I haven't seen monster depth so far, but surely a good 8 or 9" on coin sized targets. For a $500 machine that is just phenomenal. And just because I haven't seen the monster depth so far doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Maybe I just never passed my coil over any real deepies yet. BTW, yes, I do believe Minelab's and even White's get a tad more depth and pick-up the deep signals better, but again, those machines are at least several hundred dollars more. Is it worth it to pay MUCH more for an extra inch or two?

4. This thing is feather light. You can swing it all day and won't feel fatigued. No exaggeration. Most of the more expensive detectors are heavy - I should know, I swung them. However, if you can only swing one for 3 or 4 hours before your arm falls off, what good is it?!

5. Simple, simple, simple. Turn on & go. The trickiest thing will be the ground balancing, but, I got it correct first time out. Don't let the simplicity fool you though. Very powerful. Lots of fine tuning available too.

6. Notch discrimination.

7. All metal mode.

8. Multi tones. In discrimination mode, you can choose different tones for different targets (iron - bass tone, coins - high tone, etc.) In all metal, there are no multi tones, but, you can choose the tone or pitch you like the best and use it when an accepted metal is located.

9. Loves silver and gold.

10. Uses one, yes, ONE 9v battery. And that battery normally lasts 25 to 30 hours.

11. This machine is actually fun to use. Due to all the above, taking it out on a hunt isn't a chore. I've been out on four hunts so far with it and have had a blast every time out. Even better though, on the first hunt I scored a 10k gold filled ring, second hunt a sterling silver ring, third hunt a silver merc & just yesterday another silver ring. Oh yeah, great on relics too.

MINUSES

1. The Tek line is made by the same manufacturer who makes Fisher's. Fisher's as we all know are some of the greatest detectors on the market today. So, expect roughly the same performance and style. However, most of the Tek & Fisher line tend to be noisy or "chatty" units. It's true. If you're the type of hunter who prefers a stable, quiet machine while searching, this thing could drive you crazy. BUT, most of the noise is NOT while swinging the coil - aside from the little tics, belches & burps it makes - which you'll quickly get used to. Rather, most of the noise you will hear when you STOP swinging the coil, ie; when you lay the detector down to dig a target, etc. The detector CAN be operated VIRTUALLY noise free, but, you'd have to turn the sensitivity down and thusly would lose some depth. Again, surely chatty units, but, if you want raw power and all of the pluses I mentioned above, you have to learn to work "into the noise" as we say.

2. Build quality is a bit lacking. Ever seen or hunted with an Ace 250? Think a step or two up from that. I haven't had one problem so far myself. And the machine is not so poorly made that it's gonna break with a little wear & tear. However, all this said, one definitely would want to be a bit careful when handling the machine; plopping it down on the ground, pulling things to hard, etc. Again, hunt as you normally would. Can take some abuse for sure. But, it does NOT have the build quality of a Minelab or White's ;)

3. Suffers from EMI issues. This was the ONE issue that initially scared me before purchasing. Because the Tek line are such powerful machines, they are a bit more susceptible to outside interference, ie; power lines, sub-stations, etc. Meaning, if one IS indeed getting interference, that sensitivity MUST go down to quiet the unit. So far though, after hearing all of the alarms, I haven't had any major problems. Matter of fact, none at all. ALL detectors suffer from EMI issues to a certain extent. This one maybe a bit more. However, IMO, unless you routinely hunt in or around power lines or in very urban locales, I don't think you have any worries. And even if you did, just drop the sensitivity back ;)

4. This last point is minor, but, from what I've heard, they're not really great beach units. I'm not much of a beach hunter myself outside of 2 or 3 times a year, so, haven't tried it to validate that. They surely CAN be used on the beach, but, might be even more chatty or might have to drop the sensitivity down. In dry sand it should work fine using whatever settings though.

There you have it. A real, honest review by someone that's actually using the machine. Again, I LOVE it so far. Here's a few last things to keep in mind;

* Being such a powerful detector, don't be afraid to back off on the sensitivity. You'll still get crazy depth. That's how deep the Tek line is. You'll also get a quieter, more stable hunt. However, if you're out on a hunt and are looking for those old, deep coins and relics, crank that sensitivity up to 99 if conditions permit.

* Proper ground balance of ANY detector is important, so, make sure to do it right. The Omega has a powerful ground balance tracking feature which helps enormously. Use it right.

* Everyone always dreams about depth. We all love it. However, depth isn't the only game in town. Can you hunt an iron infested site with your machine? Is you machine so slow it'll take you a year to cover a small park?? Is it so heavy you're wasted after 3 or 4 hours??? Is it a battery drainer???? Does it break the household budget????? Again, this machine goes deep. Not quite as deep as some of the other well known brands, but, close enough. And close enough where you don't need to spend an extra 400, 500 or $600.

* Look into the NEL Tornado coils. They are only being sold through an outfit in Russia now. Look it up on youtube. With an NEL coil, the depth on the Omega will actually be on par with and even surpass the other big boys.

* The VDI screen is very darn accurate. Just make sure to only dig the repeatable signals that fall in tight ranges. Any wild swinging on the VDI means junk. Unless it's deep, than all bet's are off.

* Do yourself a favor and get the package if you can. The 11" DD coil hasn't come off my detector - and probably never will (unless I try the NEL's). The stock coil works very good, but, the 11" takes the Omega to another level. And the small 5" coil is good to have for ultra trashy places ;)

Hope I helped. Decide for yourself. I don't think you can go wrong with the 8000 though :thumbsup:

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
for the money the omega is twice the machine of the garrettt plus way lighter and i have owned both both run in the 7khz range with the omega slightly higher to me the graphic target anylizer is not what its cracked up to be you have to swing it just so to get the constant read out plus the omega will take the this garrett in depth as well, i'm not really trying to knock the garrett but this is my experience

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Omega 8000 all the way! Deeper, separates better, discriminates iron better?? What else could you ask for?

OP
OP
donj

donj

Feb 13, 2011
southwestern, va.
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors CoRe, garretts gti2500, gtp1350 minelab 30 whites coinmaster 3 and a DFX300.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks all, leaning towards the 8000.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread