Omega 8000

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is from Dave J. The guys who designed the 8000.

Most modern discriminators have difficulty with flat iron, especially steel bottlecaps. It has to do with the way the discriminator works, not with alloy plating as some people have speculated. Beginning with the T2 several years ago, our discriminators have been on the leading edge of discriminator design, and the things they do well have made them very popular. However they do have a lot of difficulty with steel bottlecaps.

There are a number of clues that a target may be a steel bottlecap: subtle differences in the sound, seeing the iron mineral bars jump up, tendency for ID # to drop 'way down on some passes over the target, and target ID becoming much bouncier when you X the target. Using these techniques takes a bit of experience.

For decades, DD searchcoils have been well known for having difficulty with steel bottlecaps, especially shallow ones. This is why for many years discriminators used only concentric searchcoils. However DD searchcoils have certain advantages, too, and those advantages eventually came to be appreciated. .......The weakness of the DD on steel bottlecaps comes from the extreme variations in the shape of the field response within several inches of the coil. This, as it turns out, can be turned into an asset. A normal straight sweep across the target will tend to give the highest ID reading on a steel bottlecap, but if you go off toward the side or to the front and rear, the ID will usually start jumping around a lot more than it would with a coin. Some people use such techniques to good advantage but some folks find them hard to learn.

My favorite technique, which seems to work best with the 5 inch searchcoil, is to tilt (rotate) the metal detector 90 degrees turning the searchcoil into the vertical plane and sweep across the target that way, searchcoil edge just about touching the ground. This usually throws most of the ID's clear down into the iron range-- at least for me.

--Dave J.

dld

Apr 21, 2010
NE Fla
Detector(s) used
ace 250, BHID, Explorer SE Pro, Omega 8000
Farscape said:
Hey all, Does anyone else have an issue with digging an enormous amount of rusty bottle caps with the Omega? I love the machine, it hits hard on coins...especially silver but rusted bottlecaps give a higher number than coins from what I've noticed, they ring up just like quarters. Just curious if anyone else has noticed this.

most of the time seeing the iron mineral bars jump up one or two bars will tell you it is a bottle cap, it usually don't happen with quarters

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good post DLD..very true.

Daedalus

Feb 2, 2011
Strafford , Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stoopstroop If you have anymore data on detector brands then could you make a post with this so we can read about what is said. The one like you have here is a good one to read . I like to find all the data that I can on all types as this not only helps in buying a detector , it helps with the operation of the detectors as it lets you know the little tweek's that can be done or used while hunting with said detectors .

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sure will. I try to share any and all info I can.

OP
OP
Coinstriking Michigan

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
Well I have definitely learned how to use this detector the past few days. I found that quarters ring up a solid 90 and only deviate by one be it 89-91. This is easily the deepest detector I have ever owned. Listen for those soft repeatable deep targets and it has always been a nice coin for me. I went out yesterday and dug two wheaties at an honest 7-8 inches. The day before that I pulled a 1941-S Merc at 7 inches too. Another plus about the Omega is it's ability to find nickles, for me they always ring up 56-57 and have never been anything other than a nickle at those numbers. In the 3 days I've went out since getting my Omega I have found about 20 nickles. Haven't found a Buffalo yet so I don't know how those ring up. The only detector I have ever used that has even come close to this performance was the Fisher Coin$trike. Take it from a guy who has owned 8 detectors, this detector is a steal at that price. I got the Teknetics Omega8000pro which comes with the 11" dd coil, haven't tried the stock coil yet.

fishbone3d

Apr 1, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Whites Prizm III, Bounty Hunter
I have A T2 Special Edition. If you have the little " 5" hockey puck" coil, use it! It is unbeatable for locating coins in trashy yards. I use the large coil for larger areas. It takes longer to do an area, but it is worth it!

OP
OP
Coinstriking Michigan

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
fishbone3d said:
I have A T2 Special Edition. If you have the little " 5" hockey puck" coil, use it! It is unbeatable for locating coins in trashy yards. I use the large coil for larger areas. It takes longer to do an area, but it is worth it!

I wish they offered a package with the 11'' and the 5''. I got the package with the 10'' and 11'' which is kind of dumb as who ever really uses the 10''.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can always just add the 5". I can always custom make you a package to help you out. Mix and match anything.

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
I've swung White's (MXT), Minelab (Safari) & currently run with an Omega 8000 by Teknetics & Fisher CZ-3D (1021 Model)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're gonna LOVE the Omega, Farscape. G-R-E-A-T bang-for-the-buck IMO :headbang: As you said, it is a loaded weapon on nickels and coins in general. On coins, a realistic depth would be a solid 8" to 10" max (at least in my soil)...which is pretty darned reasonable for a $600 detector.

Here's the thing though, as you already know, the Omega also LOVES junk. Especially deep iron (nails, screws, etc.), small bits of aluminum & of course the dreaded bottle caps. X'ing the targets did little good for me most of the time since some of the junk sounded so damn good. I'm also a fast hunter, so, fiddling around with all the "tricks" to help decipher what was or wasn't junk just wasted too much time. So, I would just dig away on anything that sounded halfway decent and had a fairly stable VDI number (within 5 or 10). Anything else was trash 95% of the time.

I believe the Omega to be one of the lesser known, under appreciated, "hidden" gems out there. The speed is lightening quick, manual G.B., notch discrimination, 99 segment VDI scale, frequency shift, an assortment of coils available, light-as-a-feather & operates on one 9V battery. Need I say more?!

I would NEVER get rid of my CZ-3D. Best machine I ever owned. However, there's a reason I still have my Omega :laughing7: :sign13:

OP
OP
Coinstriking Michigan

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
njnydigger said:
You're gonna LOVE the Omega, Farscape. G-R-E-A-T bang-for-the-buck IMO :headbang: As you said, it is a loaded weapon on nickels and coins in general. On coins, a realistic depth would be a solid 8" to 10" max (at least in my soil)...which is pretty darned reasonable for a $600 detector.

Here's the thing though, as you already know, the Omega also LOVES junk. Especially deep iron (nails, screws, etc.), small bits of aluminum & of course the dreaded bottle caps. X'ing the targets did little good for me most of the time since some of the junk sounded so damn good. I'm also a fast hunter, so, fiddling around with all the "tricks" to help decipher what was or wasn't junk just wasted too much time. So, I would just dig away on anything that sounded halfway decent and had a fairly stable VDI number (within 5 or 10). Anything else was trash 95% of the time.

I believe the Omega to be one of the lesser known, under appreciated, "hidden" gems out there. The speed is lightening quick, manual G.B., notch discrimination, 99 segment VDI scale, frequency shift, an assortment of coils available, light-as-a-feather & operates on one 9V battery. Need I say more?!

I would NEVER get rid of my CZ-3D. Best machine I ever owned. However, there's a reason I still have my Omega :laughing7: :sign13:

I love it already, coins deeper than 7-8 inches in my area are very rare. I found 3 coins at 7 inches within 3 days of owning it and that's good for here. I haven't had any problems at all with deep nails/screws..shallow rusted bottle caps were a problem til I found out that really bouncy and high 90's numbers have never been coins for me so I just pass them by. The highest number I've ever found a coin at is 91. Basically I only dig 56-57 and 77-91. I am also a fast hunter, especially with the Omega as it's very light and comfortable with super fast recovery speed. We should try to get a chart together on what certain targets ring up as. I haven't found an indian head penny yet, I imagine it would be a high 70's number zinc/penny range but not sure. Also haven't found a buffalo with it yet so not sure if they ring up 56-57 like jefferson nickles.

TabWhisperer

Mar 17, 2010
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
TDI SL, Equinox800, Whites XL Pro w/tone mod, Makro Racer, Whites IDX Pro w/Bills mods
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Farscape said:
I am also a fast hunter, especially with the Omega as it's very light and comfortable with super fast recovery speed. We should try to get a chart together on what certain targets ring up as. I haven't found an indian head penny yet, I imagine it would be a high 70's number zinc/penny range but not sure. Also haven't found a buffalo with it yet so not sure if they ring up 56-57 like jefferson nickles.

If you think the Omega is fast you need to test drive a G2 or it's clone the Gold Bug Pro. Way fast and a lot of fun.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jim is right. They both have Dual processors and the speed and recovery even in the heaviest iron/trashy area is amazing! The 5" coil on them is the best in trashy areas i have ever used! Anyone with questions feel free to holler at me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread