G2 made a believer out of me

smcdmc

Aug 12, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 500, Teknetics G2, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Took my daughter down to the town wharf tonight to fish, explore, whatever. She likes that kinda stuff, lucky for me. Well, the fish weren't biting so while she explored the shoreline I took the metal detector up to the edge of a grassy field that I have hunted several times before. I covered this same exact spot last fall with the Tesoro Cortes and found a few old items but no coins. Well, I got a deep bouncy but repeating signal that pinpointed at 8". The dirt was crumbly dry even after yesterdays rain, but sure enough at around 7-8" the pinpointer sounded off and I saw a coin laying on top of the dirt I had just scooped out. When I rechecked the hole the pinpointer went off again and I thought maybe an old pocket spill but the 2nd one was a piece of square nail. So, 8" of dry crumbly dirt with a square nail lying next to it, its no wonder the Cortes missed it. As I started trying to see what it was I was able to get enough dirt wiped off to see the outline of a birds head with a pair of wings. A Flying eagle cent! Unfortunately, when I got home and tried to clean the crud off it took all of the detail with it. I can see less now than before
sad.gif
Oh well. About ten feet from there I got another much clearer signal and from about 5" pulled a very clean 1916 S wheat penny. Not sure how I missed that one all the other times I detected that spot. Very happy with the performance considering how poor the ground conditions were there today.

Shane

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
You have to be carefull when you clean those old copper coins......... They are so easy to mess up..... You can't be in a hurry when you clean them up ............ Well it was still a nice find.............

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice report! The Teknetics G2 is a heck of a machine! Very simple and stable machine to run. The dual processors are amazing!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread