Gamma 6000 Question

Charlesp54

Oct 31, 2012
Hernando Ms / Memphis Tn
Detector(s) used
ATPro, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Propointer, 11" DD Coil, 5" DD Coil, 8" Concentric Coil, BH Tracker 4, Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What range does a silver dime and quarter come in at on the display of the gamma 6000? Has anyone developed a chart with the numeric values for this machine as I have seen for the E Trac machines.

I am asking this because I can't seem to find any silver. I have found jars of clad, wheat pennies and piles of other items including square nails. So I am wondering if maybe I am passing up the silver coins. I find it very hard to beleive that the old sites I hunt have no silver coins at all. I just cant see someone getting all the silver and leaving the clad or not missing at least one silver coin. I was at a old school site the other day and there was another person there using a Ace 250. He told me he found three silver coins in a area that I had worked over the week before so I figure it has to be operator error. Or the 2% rule. (You have to be 2% smarter than the piece of equipment your operating):BangHead:

I have placed silver coins on the ground and checked to see what the display was reading but I am wondering if this is different for a coin that has been marinating in the ground for say 50 or 60 years.

I am using the 11 inch DD coil with sen on 90% Disc is on 40 most of the time. Sometimes I will run the Disc at 80 and notch in nickel, zinc, and Pull tab (I have found 2 rings that were in PT range):thumbsup:

I know my machine is getting down deep enough because I have dug several dimes that were at a measured 7.5 inches

So what am I doing wrong?:dontknow:

Thanks

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
usually right around 82 to 85 range silver dollars 89 to 91 ih pennies 65 to 67 zinc pennies 76 to 79

OP
OP
Charlesp54

Charlesp54

Oct 31, 2012
Hernando Ms / Memphis Tn
Detector(s) used
ATPro, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Propointer, 11" DD Coil, 5" DD Coil, 8" Concentric Coil, BH Tracker 4, Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well maybe there just isn't any silver there because those are the ranges I dig. I guess I will go back into my dig everything mode for a few days. My buddy Coach pops silver pretty regular and its starting to eat me alive that I cant find any. I have not found a Ih either.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
More discrimination is NOT your friend. It cause depth loss and less accurate performance.

OP
OP
Charlesp54

Charlesp54

Oct 31, 2012
Hernando Ms / Memphis Tn
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bart@Big Boys Hobbies said:
More discrimination is NOT your friend. It cause depth loss and less accurate performance.

Yes i know. I have also searched with disc on 2 so that i still get different tones. The tone on the all metals mode drives me crazy.

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Tesoro Bandido II µMax and
Compadre, White's Classic II,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Charles !

I know I'm extremely late responding here, but I just saw your post and couldn't resist, since I too have a Gamma.

I got my Gamma 6000 late last year and have been doing pretty well recovering clad Cents, Nickels, Dimes and Quarters from a local public park.

This park has lots of facilities for action sports, like asphalt jogging paths, baseball and football fields, basketball courts and two tot-lots. Also, an outdoor amphitheater for bands to perform and a picnic pavilion. Crowds frequent this park all the time, so much coinage is dropped for me to find !

I presume you are adept at setting the "Ground Grab" on your machine. I still carry along my manual so as to make sure I complete all six steps and in correct sequence. As I'm sure you know, before performing this setup, it's important to select the All Metal mode and find a spot with no metal in the ground.

I usually set Sens. at 70 and Disc. level at 42 in an attempt to be under the "F" in Foil, which will avoid the low-conductivity iron nails, etc. without missing any small 10K gold rings.

Normally I use the #3 Tones, as I like the high-pitched audio signal it gives on Cents, Dimes and Quarters. However, next time out I plan to compare the VCO Tones #2 with #3, to see if there is much difference in the pitch on these three coins. If not, maybe I'll stay with the #2 Tones.

Lastly, I leave the Volume on the default setting, with my Ratphones Max headphone volume controls set at mid-position. Hummmmm :icon_scratch:, I wonder if I could save some battery life by lowering the Volume setting on the machine and raising the volume on my headphones ? I know you can gain some battery life by using headphones instead of the built-in speaker in the detector, so maybe this would work too.

If there are silver coins in the ground where you hunt and you have Ground Balanced correctly so as not to lose depth due to mineralization causing masking (older silver coins could be deep, but there are occasional exceptions !), then I guess you just hadn't swung your coil over them :laughing7:.

So have you found any silver yet ?

ToddB64

Last edited:
OP
OP
Charlesp54

Charlesp54

Oct 31, 2012
Hernando Ms / Memphis Tn
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Todd,
I really have not been out much lately because it been so hot here. But I did find a silver dime earlier this year. I plan to get started back real soon, like maybe this weekend.

Dirt.Hound

Mar 5, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Like Bart said... a lot of discrim is not good! I set my discrim really low on my gamma (like... 10) and usually run the sensitivity at 70-85, depending on the site. I've run it as low as 50 in really trashy sites and still found deep silver. It sounds to me like u are cherry picking "good" signals. It's important to know that target ID on deep targets is not very dependable... you need to start digging those deep, iffy signals if u want the goods!

madman1270

Greenie
Dec 1, 2013
bensalem pa
Detector(s) used
Teknetic gamma 6000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a gamma 6000 . I foind a silver ear ring and the range was like 91 to 95. It hit 97 but went back down .

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Charles
Some people don`t see silver for years ,this ain`t the old days...just keep @ it ...don`t let it eat at you ...this is fun.
Do a little research as to where the Older coins might have been dropped....pre.1964 was a long time ago.
Gary

OP
OP
Charlesp54

Charlesp54

Oct 31, 2012
Hernando Ms / Memphis Tn
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh its ok because when I do it will be a jar full.:notworthy:

cooknavy

May 1, 2012
Winchester, VA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Use #4 tone and set discsm on 20 ....your missing gold if you set it too high.

razerback408

Dec 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Use #4 tone and set discsm on 20 ....your missing gold if you set it too high.
i like 4 tones it puts nickel med hi tone and pull tab low tone some of my finds with the gamma ring.jpg the earing is 18k gold the ring silver and junk ring

F75PAHUNTER

Mar 10, 2014
Hanover Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 LTD, Deus Xp, tecknetics gamma, Garrett pro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I air tested this detector and on small gold its not so good, soil conditions affect all detectors so take that for what its worth, After about 8'' this detector starts fading out on quarters, falses a little when sens. is set to high or around EMI. Hits coins and large gold good with hard signals

diggininms

Nov 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own a gamma 6000 too. Most teknetics have a magic number for discrimination. I go no higher that 39. I put a nail beside a bunch of coins. My nails were rusted bad. I found that disc run up to 39 the coins came in best but was choppy. I run it in all metal mode too. I use the at pro now though. The sound doesnt bother me in all metal mode. I got two young girls one is 2 the other is 8 all I hear is a lot of chatter all day anyway. Lol hope you get it figured out. Congrats on the silver. Gl & hh

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You do know that if you lower the volume on the alpha thru gamma,but not the omega you lose silver coins..Run volume wide open on the machine and control it with the headphone volume or without headphone cover part of the holes over the speaker with scotch tape,about half until its at the volume you want..You can go to AHRPS site,montes site and it been discused there..

OP
OP
Charlesp54

Charlesp54

Oct 31, 2012
Hernando Ms / Memphis Tn
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Supertraq if what you say is correct this could be the reason I am not finding silver with my Gamma. I keep the volume on 10 but if the tone is not the same tone that I get for a clad quarter or dime, I may not be able to hear it. I have a hearing problem and certain tones I can't hear at all. I have put silver coins on the ground and tested to see if i could hear them but a silver coin that has been in the ground for years could give a different tone. I really don't watch the screen so I may have walked over silver without knowing.

Last edited:

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Supertraq if what you say is correct this could be the reason I am not finding silver with my Gamma. I keep the volume on 10 but if the tone is not the same tone that I get for a clad quarter or dime, I may not be able to hear it. I have a hearing problem and certain tones I can't hear at all. I have put silver coins on the ground and tested to see if i could hear them but a silver coin that has been in the ground for years could give a different tone. I really don't watch the screen so I may have walked over silver without knowing.

Alpha 2000 Problem - Not sensing quarters or dimes! Help?

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/teknetics/368541-delta-4000-firmware-bugs.html

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread